Scholl Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I almost made this myself I'm glad you did. I just joined and I'm looking forward to meeting some of my future classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty surprised that only 3 people have decided on scholl on this forum. I figured since it is one of the bigger schools that more people would be in facebook group already too. Hopefully more people do

I'm pretty surprised that only 3 people have decided on scholl on this forum. I figured since it is one of the bigger schools that more people would be in facebook group already too. Hopefully more people do

I won't name anyone but I have talked to several other people accepted to Scholl, from this forum, that are 99% sure they are going there but have not fully decided...

I feel a lot of people view the podiatry forum as "guests" as well.

Also it is still kind of early in the interview process. I bet things start to really pick up in the new year...

Although Podiatry may have been Plan A for most of us who applied early in the cycle, we can't deny that its still Plan B for a good amount of people who ultimately apply and attend. Beause of this, Podiatric medical school admissions seems to be different then traditional allopathic and osteopathic admissions. Although it is important to apply early for Podiatric medical school...a lot of people don't commit until other options are no longer available...thats just the way it is STILL (it prob won't be like this in the future). This is all hearsay though...

I guarantee we will see a lot of new members start rolling in here, not using the search function, and asking newbie questions about Podiatric medical admission after Jan 1 of the new year.

Last edited:
I won't name anyone but I have talked to several other people accepted to Scholl, from this forum, that are 99% sure they are going there but have not fully decided...

I feel a lot of people view the podiatry forum as "guests" as well.

Also it is still kind of early in the interview process. I bet things start to really pick up in the new year...

Although Podiatry may have been Plan A for most of us who applied early in the cycle, we can't deny that its still Plan B for a good amount of people who ultimately apply and attend. Beause of this, Podiatric medical school admissions seems to be different then traditional allopathic and osteopathic admissions. Although it is important to apply early for Podiatric medical school...a lot of people don't commit until other options are no longer available...thats just the way it is STILL (it prob won't be like this in the future). This is all hearsay though...

I guarantee we will see a lot of new members start rolling in here, not using the search function, and asking newbie questions about Podiatric medical admission after Jan 1 of the new year.

Hmmm...were one of those people me? :) I am 99.9% sure I'm going to Scholl, but I hate to say I'm 100% going until I get my deposit sent in. Which, I'm not sending out until the 15th. So, come the 15th, I will consider myself offically going to Scholl. :thumbup:

That aside, I've actually never used facebook. Perhaps I'll check it out though. :)

I know this is super early but I am just throwing this out there for all future scholl classmates...

I am looking for a roommate to live in either the student housing on campus OR the woodlands apartments right next to campus for next year.

Preferably looking for a roommate for a 2 Bed & 2 Bath setup. Male or female roommate wanted.

Hard working/ focused, relatively clean and respects each other's crap are qualities that I am looking for...AND someone who likes to have a good time when exams are over : )

Anybody remotely interested please feel free to contact me via PM or on our facebook group (My name is Pete B).

Moving is the only thing I'm not looking forward to! I don't mean moving to the area, just the actual move itself....uggg. :(

Add one to the official SDN Scholl class of '14! Sent off my deposit yesterday.

I'm bored people...I kind of wish I was in pod med school right now

not trying to stir up trouble, but "pod med school"?
I say podiatry school every time. Some people in my class say med school, but I don't agree with it. I see all these cool DMU Medicine shirts in the bookstore and I can't bring myself to buy them because I would feel like a fraud.

But yes, I remember that feeling. Getting accepted early has its downfalls, and waiting is one of them.

I'm bored people...I kind of wish I was in pod med school right now

I hear ya. 8 months is a long ways away still. I've been trying to pass the time by reading up on practice management, watching surgery videos, and dabbling in options trading.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say podiatry school every time. Some people in my class say med school, but I don't agree with it. I see all these cool DMU Medicine shirts in the bookstore and I can't bring myself to buy them because I would feel like a fraud.

But yes, I remember that feeling. Getting accepted early has its downfalls, and waiting is one of them.

I dont see any problem with "podiatric medical school"

...your practicing/learning podiatric medicine. Not general medicine.

But I have no desire to go to School due to location so i'm out of this thread :)

I made a simple fun statement about how I am excited for school and you come on here and nitpick the terminology I used. I mean what?????????

Are any of you think about doing the dual degree program? I'm not too sure yet, I want to see how grueling my schedule is going to be before I decide to add it

FootPro,

I'm thinking about the Master's in Wound Healing but I don't want to commit to it now and become overwhelmed. The program seems pretty flexible though. I guess we can choose to just get the certificates instead of the full masters. I bet the phd program is top notch...research at scholl is solid.

Has anyone heard first hand about these dual degree programs? Anyone talk to old students?

FootPro,

I'm thinking about the Master's in Wound Healing but I don't want to commit to it now and become overwhelmed. The program seems pretty flexible though. I guess we can choose to just get the certificates instead of the full masters. I bet the phd program is top notch...research at scholl is solid.

Has anyone heard first hand about these dual degree programs? Anyone talk to old students?

janV88,

I am sure Mandy or Kim have a list of students names and e-mails that are participating in the MSc or PhD programs at Scholl. I am also interested in the MSc program but I am not sure since it will only cost more $$$ tuition wise.

I am not sure what the MSc degree can do for me professionally. Would my high tech wound healing skills (along with my surgical skills) really be utilized by a regular Pod or Ortho practice? Seems like the right domain to utilize such skills would be in a research lab which is not something I want to end up doing. It just seems like a lot of extra training for nothing.

I think the best person to answer our questions would be to contact Stephanie Wu.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN...MASTERSINWOUNDHEALING/tabid/3152/Default.aspx

[email protected]

Hey,
Since many of you seem to have been accepted to School, any tips on how the interview went and what I should be prepared for.
For example, any questions that was asked or things I should discuss.

Thanks

Hey,
Since many of you seem to have been accepted to School, any tips on how the interview went and what I should be prepared for.

Thanks

I would go through the interview feedback forum on SDN and look up questions.

Also, the questions that they ask are different for everyone. Basically, they are going to ask you questions specific to your application. They are trying to get an idea of who you are and find out why you struggled, succeeded, why you did this, that, etc...

I didn't get asked any medical ethics type questions and I don't think that is Scholl's MO to do this any way.

Last edited:
Hey,

Thanks

My interview was very straight forward. The questions were very specific to me, my application, and Podiatry. No medical ethics questions or what if scenarios.

Hello everyone,

I was accepted to Scholl and I was wanting to know what made you all pick this school over other podiatry schools. I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Hello everyone,

I was accepted to Scholl and I was wanting to know what made you all pick this school over other podiatry schools. I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Scholl has:

A) a better reputation

B) a stronger academic curriculum (when I interviewed at OCPM I was told 22 half tuition scholarships were given out to students with a perfect 4.0 gpa. A MEDICAL SCHOOL that has 22 students with a 4.0 makes you really question the academics)

C) Didnt you get accepted at OCPM for showing up to the interview? Yeah me too...not very impressive

D) World renowned lower extremity research facility. If you want to do podiatric medical research then Scholl is the place to be.

E) The new curriculum at Scholl will have you finishing your course work in the first two years...therefore you will be spending your 3rd and 4th years doing all clinical activities. Scholl gives its students 10 externships to visit other programs. Do you understand how important this is?

I will give it up to OCPM for having a NICE school in terms of looks and the campus...but thats all it really has. If you want to go somewhere "pretty" then OCPM is for you. If you want to go to one of the top tier podiatric medical schools then choose Scholl (or go to DMU, AZPOD, or Western)

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Good response. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Yeah, I did get accepted to OCPM right after my interview (the letter was already typed up and in an envelope, which made me wonder why they wanted to interview me at all if they already knew they were accepting me. By the way, how did you know that?) I guess I just almost feel guilty about not wanting to go to OCPM because I did the internship program there and I got to know a lot of the faculty members and they're all really nice people. I really like the dean too. But I do agree that Scholl is probably a better school and offers a lot more opportunities, mainly because it is affiliated with Rosalind Franklin. I don't know, I think in the back of my mind I'm 100% sure that I'm going to pick Scholl; I just haven't convinced myself yet that that is what's going to happen.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Good response. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Yeah, I did get accepted to OCPM right after my interview (the letter was already typed up and in an envelope, which made me wonder why they wanted to interview me at all if they already knew they were accepting me. By the way, how did you know that?) I guess I just almost feel guilty about not wanting to go to OCPM because I did the internship program there and I got to know a lot of the faculty members and they're all really nice people. I really like the dean too. But I do agree that Scholl is probably a better school and offers a lot more opportunities, mainly because it is affiliated with Rosalind Franklin. I don't know, I think in the back of my mind I'm 100% sure that I'm going to pick Scholl; I just haven't convinced myself yet that that is what's going to happen.

While being under the Rosalind Franklin umbrella does provide some great opportunities, it is not "THE" reason why Scholl is such a great Podiatric Medical School.

Scholl has the Reputation, Research, and 2+2 curriculum.

The reputation Scholl has made in Podiatric Medicine stems from being one of the oldest, largest, and influencial Podiatric Medical Colleges. 1/3rd of all Podiatrists are Scholl graduates...expect to find alumni anywhere you go.

The research at Scholl is concentrated in the CLEAR institute. Dr. Armstrong (google him) helped set up CLEAR and made it into a research power house. He is not directly involved with Scholl and CLEAR anymore but he is still somewhat "affiliated". Dr. Rogers aka diabeticfootdr also spent some time at CLEAR and he published many papers during his time there. Currently, there is a student at CLEAR researching limb regeneration.

Scholl has a 2+2 curriculum. It is very rigorous and goes all year round. I think we will have a total of 5 weeks off per year (2 weeks winter, and 1 week between each semester). It also means that, like studywithfury mentioned, you will be done with pre-clinicals by the end of 2nd year. 3rd and 4th year are clinical rotations. Podiatry externships start in January of 3rd year...this is before any other school. That means we get to visit more Podiatry Residencies, to my knowledge, than any other schools. It also means we will get more experience with Podiatry...which is our specialty. It will prepare us to hit the ground running once we start residency.

All 3 of these are a direct result of Scholl and not because it is a part of Rosalind Franklin.

The advantages of being a part of Rosalind Franklin is efficiency. Since there are 4 colleges, soon to be 5, that share the same roof...there is lower overhead costs. The colleges are able to share lecture halls, professors, facilities, etc. and function more efficiently than a stand alone college. Scholl is equal but separate from the other colleges and gets all the benefits of a large institution but still retains the small institution independence.

Last edited:
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Good response. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. Yeah, I did get accepted to OCPM right after my interview (the letter was already typed up and in an envelope, which made me wonder why they wanted to interview me at all if they already knew they were accepting me. By the way, how did you know that?)

I read your same post in the acceptance thread...you disclosed you were between Scholl and OCPM in that thread.

Scholl does not have a true 2+2 curriculum. It has taken us a year and a half to get the administration to actually tell us this little factoid. You will still be in the classroom during the first half of your 3rd year, in addition to being in the clinic. The curriculum is so awesomely rigorous that the P1 class is actively discussing switching back to the old format after seeing what the P2's have gone through, in addition to complaints that P1's have about their own schedule. The idea of the 2+2 was that the course coordinators would re-work the classes and edit out certain materials, rather than simply teaching the same amount of material in a shorter amount of time with fewer contact hours. By and large, however, this has not been the case. Also, I thought that having class during the summer was essentially a waste of time. The only class we took met 4 times a week for 2 hrs per session. These are my opinions and may not jive with those of some of my classmates, but this has been my experience at scholl thus far.

Scholl does not have a true 2+2 curriculum. It has taken us a year and a half to get the administration to actually tell us this little factoid. You will still be in the classroom during the first half of your 3rd year, in addition to being in the clinic. The curriculum is so awesomely rigorous that the P1 class is actively discussing switching back to the old format after seeing what the P2's have gone through, in addition to complaints that P1's have about their own schedule. The idea of the 2+2 was that the course coordinators would re-work the classes and edit out certain materials, rather than simply teaching the same amount of material in a shorter amount of time with fewer contact hours. By and large, however, this has not been the case. Also, I thought that having class during the summer was essentially a waste of time. The only class we took met 4 times a week for 2 hrs per session. These are my opinions and may not jive with those of some of my classmates, but this has been my experience at scholl thus far.

Nosedive,

Attached to this message are files describing the 2+2 curriculum at Scholl. It was taken from my interview book that I received during my interview at Scholl. Are there any significant differences in this curriculum then the one you are experiencing at Scholl?

Do you feel that the curriculum has still provided you with an excellent education? Do you feel it prepared you well for the boards?

I can understand that the curriculum is probably rigorous. I wouldn't expect anything less when you are in medical school. But despite how negatively you feel about the curriculum, if you feel it is giving you a good education and preparing you well for boards then isn't all this negativity for naught???

It's hard for us pre-pods, who have chosen Scholl, to gauge what is reality and what isn't when it comes to these sort of posts. If you could answer my questions and further explain your position on this matter then maybe we could gain a better understanding of where you are coming from.

Thanks

Attachments

• Scholl P1 & P2 curriculum.pdf
    572.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Scholl P3 & P4 curriculum.pdf
    455.3 KB · Views: 129
i remember being naive like you guys. classic pre-pod showing propoganda from the schools. i am pretty sure I would side with an actual student here. put down the kool-aid.

school X could say they were not going to teach anything not directly related to the foot and some accepted pre-pods would be spouting off on SDN how awesome it is that school X is going to be focusing more directly on the foot.

Last edited:
i remember being naive like you studywithfury. classic pre-pod showing propoganda from the schools. i am pretty sure I would side with an actual student here. put down the kool-aid.

How am I being naive?

All I am doing is asking questions and looking for answers. I am not defending nor critizing Scholl.

Can you read?

yes I can read, that is why i took your name out on my edit after more thoroughly reading the previous post. my edited post speaks in generalities on this forum.

yes I can read, that is why i took your name out on my edit after more thoroughly reading the previous post. my edited post speaks in generalities on this forum.

Your comments are welcomed here but I'd rather debate nosedive or another Scholl student about these topics concerning Scholl.

you will be in class till janurary of the 3rd year taking 'capstone' clinically/surgically related small group classes. the 2+2 hoax here at scholl means you wont be taking any GRADED basic science/general med classes after your 2nd year. You will STILL be at the school till midway, or possibly longer depending on what rotations you have, into your 3rd year.

the opinion of nosedive is pretty much spot on. Theyre craming way to much into to short a time for any success to be had. We're working our asses off just to stay afloat, and they didnt help things by making our 1st Summer schedule as light as it was. (i dont feel it was a waste of time though, it should have been more intensive though)

The exam schedule here is a joke. They do not space out exams with any consideration. We just recently had to petition the whole class to move an exam from pre christmas to 2 weeks after christmas lol. Really?

In the end its hard to say how this will turn out. If 50% of us fail the boards cause our didatic education was cut short and we didnt have time to learn anything to an adequate degree, thatd really blow, and scholl will learn its lesson. (i doubt thatll happen, but anythings possible) BUT if things go to plan, it will be fantastic to spend more time at local hospitals and external clerkships around the country, instead of in class reading out of a book what we could be learning hands on somewhere.

For future classes though im sure theyll work out the kinks, so by the time youre here exam schedules will be smoothed out. And i think thats really the only legit qualm most of the 2012 class has with the 2+2 ordeal.

In the end its hard to say how this will turn out. If 50% of us fail the boards cause our didatic education was cut short and we didnt have time to learn anything to an adequate degree, thatd really blow, and scholl will learn its lesson. (i doubt thatll happen, but anythings possible) BUT if things go to plan, it will be fantastic to spend more time at local hospitals and external clerkships around the country, instead of in class reading out of a book what we could be learning hands on somewhere.

UW66,

To get more personal...Do YOU think you will be ready for boards when its all said and done?

Despite the things you don't like about the curriculum...do you think you have received a solid education overall?

EDIT: also thanks for your overall response. I think you have def cleared up some confusion over what to expect in the 3rd year.

Yes I will be ready, and id like to say everyone else will too. They are giving us 2 solid weeks off(i think) along with the week between spring and summer quarter to prepare. ALONG with two weeks where we just have class starting. (this is what i recall from a class meeting a while back anyway) I could be a little off in the exacte details, but the jist of it is we've got a month from May 31st when spring ends to July 7th, and only 2 of those week we are starting our small group 'capstone' like classes.

in my opinion boards are not something to be worried about if youre a good student who learned the material the first time through. Spending a month reviewing it all should be just that, a review. you hit USMLE step 1 and lower extremity notes and youre ready to rock.

Yes despite the fact we dont have time for a life outside the library because of the exam scheduling, i feel like we're learning a lot, and we're getting a very good baseline education for hitting the hospitals with later.

If youre interested in my personal concern with the current state of things...... Is if they keep throwing this terrible exam schedule our way, and dont allow us time to earn decent grades, theyre just stabbing us in the back when it comes time to be competitive for clerkship and residencys. In the end maybe it all works out, and residencys see our class rank despite what our gpa might be, but from what ive gathered on SDN over the years is if ya dont have the GPA to get your foot in the door, it doesnt matter how wonderful you are in clinic, they wont even extend you a clerkship.

So itll be interesting to see what happens come clerkship time, when all our gpas as a whole are disgusting.

Then again non of our classes in the P2 year have come to an end, so maybe theyll throw us huge curves to offset the fact theyve been raping us bit by bit on the way.

You bring up some interesting points. I never really considered this gpa conundrum. I always thought class rank would rule over gpa since it's hard for residency programs to judge the quality of each podiatric medical school's curriculum.

For example, I would think a competitive residency program would be interested in students who are in the top 25% at their respected schools. This would be a safe bet to ensure that the program would be working with a relatively bright student.

Thanks for posting first hand info nosedive and UW66. :thumbup:

So once 3rd year starts then it is all clinically based. Some time will be spent in the clinic and some in the classroom. Is this the time when "clerkships" such as Podiatric Radiology, Podiatric Surgery, Podiatric Medicine, and Podiatric Clinical Biomechanics are done?

And when you two mentioned the test schedule, is it the result of a lot of material resulting in a lot of tests, poor planning, or a combo of both?

Lastly, with regards to GPAs, are Residency Directors aware of the rigorous schedule at SCPM? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that a 4.0 in one school is not the same as a 4.0 in another school...just look at the situation at OCPM with the massive amount of perfect students.

Studywithfury, I'll let nosedive and UW66 answer your question directly...since I don't know the ins and outs of the clerkship process...but from skimming through the Residency Website it seems like programs usually have either a cut off GPA of 3.0 or a cut off rank of 1/3 or 1/4.

Yes. As it stands right now for the class of 2012, the first class theyre trying this 2+2 shinanigins with, as soon as May 31st hits of the 2nd year we start clinically orientated capstone rotations. they break our class into 4 groups, and we spend 6weeks in each 'rotations' untill Jan. Then from there you do your radiology rotation, other core rotations, and then of course clerkships.

dont forget, everythings thats happening is subject to change, of which i know nothing about because i dont keep track of the politics here.(passing classes is time consuming enough) so what happens for you future classes is definitely up in the air.

When i was bitching about the test scheduling i was just referring to how poorly theyre spreading them out in accordinance with how much material is being covered on them.

I wouldnt count on anyone in the world knowing...or caring about how rigorous our didactic schedule has become. Theyre gonna care about who you are, what you know, how hard youre willing to work etc etc all the factors that will ultimately seperate you from your peers. I could be wrong though, perhaps theres programs out there that are very intune with the curriculum levels at the different schools, and perhaps that will give you a very minor edge up on the competition. I wouldnt count on it though.

Ultimately of course, the idea is to give you more time to do clerkships, more time to learn hands-on at different locations. So thats the benefit, and that is what could possibly make you a stronger candidate than other students that might not do as many.
also, the more programs you get to externship at, the more you can adequately access which clerkships you like, where youll fit in, where you think youll gain the best education etcetcetc and therefore the more likely youll land the residency over someone who didnt externship there, supposing equal strenghts on paper and at the interview.

im rambling so ill jet out. anymore questions, just keep em coming. toodles!

UW66,
i was hoping you could clarify for incoming students, as well as others how the whole clerkships things works at scholl. If I remember correctly from my interview, yes you guys had longer to do clerkships, but the majority were required to be done in the chicago area. I think I was told 8 months or so. So I guess my question is what is the effective amount of time you are able to clerkships across the country. I remember that being a turnoff for me. I didnt feel like admissions was clear on this. I would have wanted to spend as little time in downtown chicago as possible. For others, that may be a huge advantage. Could you address this?
I imagine this is in stark contrast to DMU, where almost your entire time is spent away from des moines. Once again, this is a positive for some, but a negative for people with families.
thanks

Air bud,
I believe we're required to do 4 core rotations in Chicago. However, they have changed it so that we now have the option of doing our cores in Detroit, Phoenix, or somewhere in cali. The theory is that we are all going to be able to do 8 elective externships before CRIPS. I'm not sure if it will actually shake out like that, but the extra externships is where the benefit comes in.

what is the length of time for the 4 cores in chicago?

theres 4 core rotations, each a month long. the other two locations nosedives thinking of are albuquerque and LA. And yeah the theory is we do a considerable amount of elective clerkships before interviews.
as far as exacte months, and exacte # of clerkships i cant recall, but the rumor was 8 BEFORE interviews, instead of 3 or 4 before interviews at max then the rest after interviews are over, which is worthless, like current scholl students are doing.

and no, nothing is required in the chicago area. If you wanna stay here for cores though because the 4 other locations dont interest you for potential residency spots, then it makes sense to just stay here to do them.

It seems like you guys are getting shafted...being the guinea pigs and all. Hopefully Scholl gets the test schedule and all that in order soon.

Anyways, thanks for posting UW66 and nosedive. Keep SDN posted on how things go with boards, 3rd year, and 4th year. I know I had a hard time researching about Scholl on SDN since it seems like the majority of Scholl students stop posting here once school starts.

so maybe theyll throw us huge curves to offset the fact theyve been raping us bit by bit on the way.

From what I learned, Scholls did take the hard test schedules into consideration, postponed some tests and gave you guys nice curves. Am I right?