School Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirsts4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but I'm wondering what PT students wear to classes (open toe/closed toe shoes, jeans, dresses, etc.)? I want to make sure I'm prepared and dressing "appropriately" for classes, clinicals, or any conventions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We asked this question to 2nd years during our interview and they said they all wore workout clothes unless they had to give or attend a presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm a first year student at UMES, so I'll do my best to answer. We had to "dress up" on Tuesdays for one class in the first semester, which meant that we had to buy a white lab coat (around 30 bucks), wear khaki's or slacks and a nice top, and men had to wear a button-up and tie. This semester we have to wear white T-shirts and black shorts for labs, two days a week, but no more dressing up in nice clothes.

Otherwise we wear whatever we want. Most people wear workout clothes. 2nd and 3rd year a bit different, and they have to wear nicer dress clothes more often because they start going into the clinic and have more presentations and practical exams.

Have at least some khakis or black dress pants, professional FLAT shoes if you're working with patients, several nice blouses or button-ups/ties. Dresses and skirts are optional. Some classmates definitely wore dresses and skirts, but most went with pants. Pants are also more versatile if you're working with patients as well (I'm assuming, I haven't worked with patients yet). You shouldn't need much more than that, especially for your first year, unless your program specifically tells you what to purchase.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance!
It really does depend on the program. Some require you to dress professionally each day, others you wear your gym clothes. Best to ask current students of that program Similarly, clinical rotations are all different; once you begin communication with your clinical instructor, be sure to inquire about the appropriate attire. They may ask you to wear a particular color polo, scrubs, etc.
Standard items you can count on needing as a PT student is a good pair of khakis and a good pair of sneakers. If you are female, have some decent (and dare I say, modest) sports bras because you will wear that in lab in front of your class. Additionally, have some clothes and shoes for gross lab that you don't mind getting (...well) gross.

Reactions: 1 users
I go to Nova and we wear scrubs everyday, people usually wear sports bra/shorts under for lab stuff. On specific clinic days or if patients come in to class we wear our khaki's and polo (and maybe white coat).

Depends on the program but most days we dress in workout clothes and sweats. Quite often we have events going on where we dress in clinical attire but other than that it's comfortable clothes.

Like others have said, depends on the program. My program technically has a dress code since we are on a medical campus, but its basically just to keep us from showing up in raggedy clothes or girls wearing anything a little too revealing. It was mentioned on orientation day and has never come up again. My program doesn't do white coats. Everyone typically wears jeans and t-shirts/hoodies on non-lab days. Lab days are sweatpants with shorts underneath, and gym tops (t-shirts for guys, sports bras for girls). We also have clinical days in which case its business casual, so khakis and polos or slacks and whatever.

EDIT: Clinicals also vary. If you're inpatient acute, most likely you will be wearing scrubs. I've seen acute rehab with scrubs and with khakis and polos. Outpatient is typically business casual, so khakis and polos or slacks and button-downs. Not too sure with SNF or other settings, but you basically will be wearing one of those three options (scrubs, khakis/polo, other business casual) in just about any PT setting. Very rarely have I seen a requirement for "professional" dress in a PT setting, requiring ties and whatnot. It's always more of an option than a requirement I would say IMO.

Totally program-dependent. Your school will undoubtedly tell you in detail what the dress code is at orientation. Then you follow it. The same applies to clinicals - your sites will already have a dress code established. As for conventions/conferences, business attire is always appropriate.