School Comparison Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I want to begin comparing my schools today (in addition to those I am accepted at, I'm also going to include those I'm on post-int hold/WL so that I can decide if I will get rid of them or go for the LOIs). Anyway, I wanted to ask what I types of things I should compare, and things to point out about certain schools. I especially ask this considering if someone thinks one should look at X about a school because it is overlooked and becomes extremely important later in the academic/post-grad career. And I think this can be helpful to all to have a nice list.

The things I will be looking at myself are (in no particular order):

1) Tuition/expenses, not considering fin aid.
2) Curriculum Style (lecture/PBL/unique classes/system-based/etc)
3) Clinical experiences (diversity/quality/facilities)
4) Class size
5) Grading system
6) Competition level
7) Location
8) Admin/faculty devotion to students
9) Opportunities (clinical, research, extracurricular)
10) Vague quality of match list...maybe

what else? :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I want to begin comparing my schools today (in addition to those I am accepted at, I'm also going to include those I'm on post-int hold/WL so that I can decide if I will get rid of them or go for the LOIs). Anyway, I wanted to ask what I types of things I should compare, and things to point out about certain schools. I especially ask this considering if someone thinks one should look at X about a school because it is overlooked and becomes extremely important later in the academic/post-grad career. And I think this can be helpful to all to have a nice list.

The things I will be looking at myself are (in no particular order):

4) Class size
5) Grading system
6) Competition level
7) Location
9) Opportunities (clinical, research, extracurricular)
10) Vague quality of match list...maybe

Great list! For me, research opportunities is *very* important and wouldn't be a sub-category heh. Number 8 is rather hard to quantify. The only quantitiative way I've got is to measure the quality of the facilities and whether the faculty were laid-back.
Number 6 may be related to number 5.
Other thing: you might want to score these 1-10 (relatively speaking), then give each a weight depending on how important each is to you.

Great list! For me, research opportunities is *very* important and wouldn't be a sub-category heh. Number 8 is rather hard to quantify. The only quantitiative way I've got is to measure the quality of the facilities and whether the faculty were laid-back.
Number 6 may be related to number 5.
Other thing: you might want to score these 1-10 (relatively speaking), then give each a weight depending on how important each is to you.

that's true that number 9 should really be split since they are very big topics. I just wanted to list it in general for the time being, obviously i'll look at research and joining some sports club differently :laugh: This does bring me to a question. How important is reasearch in med school? I'm giving it low priority b/c research is all i've done since college, and i'd rather not do any of it in med school, but do you believe it's needed for a good residencies?

Number 9 I think i will also look at things such as mentoring/guidance programs offered by the school. Not having an idea about specialties, I will probably make use of such a mentor.

I think that's a great idea to score each category in importance, but I'll just do that on my own since we all have different ideas of what's more important to ourselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Class size is largely irrelevant, IMO, and don't bother looking at their match list for more than just a brief glance. Tuition, grading system and location are very important. You can do research at pretty much any school you want, I bet.

4) Class size
5) Grading system
6) Competition level
7) Location
9) Clinical Opportunities
10) Research Opps
11) Extracurricular activities (clubs,etc)
12) Vague quality of match list...maybe
13) Volunteering Opps

Class size is largely irrelevant, IMO, and don't bother looking at their match list for more than just a brief glance. Tuition, grading system and location are very important. You can do research at pretty much any school you want, I bet.

Yea, I won't do much with the match list. It is nice to see good programs listed in there, but I know it's up to me to get into whatever program I want (i hope)

4) Class size
5) Grading system
6) Competition level
7) Location
9) Clinical Opportunities
10) Research Opps
11) Extracurricular activities (clubs,etc)
12) Vague quality of match list...maybe
13) Volunteering Opps

I would just pick a few to really hone in on - practically everywhere will have plenty of volunteering opportunities for you, and competition might surprise you. It takes all I can muster to stay in the middle of my class, and my numbers exceeded the school averages by a reasonable amount.

Put "gut feeling" pretty high up there too - the general vibe you get is definitely going to count as well.

1) Price
2) Proximity to home
3) thug lifestyle opportunities

Research is an important factor for me because 1. I'm an MSTP applicant and 2. my research is rather esoteric and done by only a few institutions by relatively new and young faculty, which is unfortunately also the top institutions.

Second is location location location.
Third: Med school facilities and looks: The only really objective way to see if the med school cares about ya.

3) thug lifestyle opportunities

Amazing, this is also going to the top of my list. WSU will provide plenty of this I'm sure.