School Deposits A Scam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fancy_Feast

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Months after withdrawing from a school I decided not to attend (in line with AMCAS traffic rules) I realized I hadn't seen my $100 deposit appear in my bank account yet. I called the school and the woman said you have to request the money back, and because it's been over 90 days since I dropped their school, it would take many weeks of extra processing before I'd get the money back. So my question is: Is this normal? I just assumed you'd be credited the money when you dropped a school.
The woman seemed kind of hostile about it, and it made me feel like this is a weird way the school makes some extra money.
 
DO Schools have like $1000 non refundable deposits, AMCAS should take note if they really trying to cash in lolol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Months after withdrawing from a school I decided not to attend (in line with AMCAS traffic rules) I realized I hadn't seen my $100 deposit appear in my bank account yet. I called the school and the woman said you have to request the money back, and because it's been over 90 days since I dropped their school, it would take many weeks of extra processing before I'd get the money back. So my question is: Is this normal? I just assumed you'd be credited the money when you dropped a school.
The woman seemed kind of hostile about it, and it made me feel like this is a weird way the school makes some extra money.
Your experience with this school isn't typical. You might do next year's lot a kindness by posting about it in the School Specific forum for that institution.
 
By early March, I had been accepted at a DO, but was waiting to hear back from two MD I had interviewed at. The deadline for the deposit on the DO ($1000 non-refundable, deadline non-negotiable) was due the week before decisions for those schools were to come out. I had to bite the bullet or risk losing my only acceptance. Wrote the check and sent it off, and then found out I was accepted at both of the MDs within a week of each other a short time later. The money for DO deposits does seem exorbitant, but policy is policy though, meh. I'm just glad I'm going somewhere!
 
By early March, I had been accepted at a DO, but was waiting to hear back from two MD I had interviewed at. The deadline for the deposit on the DO ($1000 non-refundable, deadline non-negotiable) was due the week before decisions for those schools were to come out. I had to bite the bullet or risk losing my only acceptance. Wrote the check and sent it off, and then found out I was accepted at both of the MDs within a week of each other a short time later. The money for DO deposits does seem exorbitant, but policy is policy though, meh. I'm just glad I'm going somewhere!

Ouch!!! That's rough! But congrats!