School does not have Organic II lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only Organic II class at my school does not have a lab along with it. There is no option to take a second semester of Organic Lab. (Organic I has a lab that goes with it.)

Will this screw me up with med school prereqs?

I can't afford to take it at another university and community college prereqs are not good when you already go to a 4-year.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools accept biochemistry (with or without lab) in lieu of organic chemistry 2, but it varies from school to school. So, one option is to take biochemistry instead of o chem 2.

The University of New England offers a distance learning/online version of o chem 2 lab that is accepted by many medical schools as well.

Not sure what you mean by community college prereqs are "not good" but I don't see the harm in taking it at a community college if that is your only option. Plenty of applicants (myself included) got our degrees from 4 year institutions and yet took one or two prereqs at a community college. Again, it varies by school but I don't see how this could hurt you if it's your only option to take o chem 2 and it's required at a school to which you are applying/accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest having a letter from your ochem II instructor or an advisor pointing out, among other things, that o-chem II at your school does not include a lab. This is highly unusual and I'd guess that your school is not a pipeline for pre-meds.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest having a letter from your ochem II instructor or an advisor pointing out, among other things, that o-chem II at your school does not include a lab. This is highly unusual and I'd guess that your school is not a pipeline for pre-meds.

Great idea! I really like my O-Chem II professor. I took her for O-Chem I and I feel she's someone I can get a good letter from. Maybe I can ask her to incorporate this into the science letter I am going to ask her to write anyway.

Reactions: 1 user