School Info for Pre-Pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey pod-students!

If any of you have tons of time on your hands and really want to help out some pre-pods, could you fill out the questionnaire about your school that Jonwill stickied a few years ago? There are only a few schools done, and those are from fiveish years ago. We'd really appreciate it!

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curriculum
1. Are there any special programs for which this podiatric medical school is noted?

CLEAR or Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research. It is research program started several years ago by Dr. Armstrong. He is currently not at Scholl anymore but there is a great research team here that allows students to participate. Here is a link CLEAR

2. Describe this school's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years. Are there any innovations, like Problem-Based Learning?

Scholls curriculum is Basic Science for 2 years and Clinical rotations for 2 years. During your basic sciences classes like Essentials of Clinical Reasoning,Gross Anatomy, and pathology are shared with the students of Chicago Medical School. Other classes such as Lower extremity anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, histology, neurology, pharmacology, and microbiology are not. There are labs for essentials of clinical reasoning where standardized pts or actors come in to present cases and you take a history and physical and attempt to improve your diagnostic skills.

3. Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?

Yes, refer to question number 1.

4. Is there a note-taking service? If so, is it university-run or student-run?

Currently there is no official note taking services run by the school or the students, however many of the lectures are audio recorded and available online or from other students

5. Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?

There are no electives, all students take all classes and labs together. The only accelerated courses that i know of were for the students participating in research over the summer. It was only one course.

6. Has this podiatric medical school, or any of its clinical departments, been on probation or had its accreditation revoked?

Not that I'm aware of

7. How do students from this podiatric medical school perform on the National Board Examinations? How does the school assist students who do not pass?

Class of 2012 APMLE I First Time pass rate 88%. Overall 99%
Class of 2012 AMPLE II First time pass rate 92%.

Tutoring for board preparation is available for students who need it. Information and study packets are available for everyone. Some professor's hold board review courses

Evaluations
8. How are students evaluated academically? How are clinical evaluations performed?

Academically through grades and GPA

Clinical evaluations are rated on knowledge of basic science, ability to apply basic science, knowledge of clinical information, professionalism, ability to write soap notes, ability to take a history and physical, ability to present patients, ability to perform and assist in surgery.

9. Is there a formal mechanism in place for students to evaluate their professors and attending physicians? What changes have been made recently as a result of this feedback?

Yes at Scholl professor evaluations are done on every class we've ever taken, and select students are asked to participate in a panel to discuss how courses a can be made better.

Counseling/Student Support
10. What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children?

I know they are available but unfortunately I cannot comment because i have never used these resources

11. Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both?

Yes there is a big brother/big sister program available. Also the majority of the faculty would be willing to mentor and advise in a reasonable fashion.

12. How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women?

It is diverse here are some statistics for class of 2012:
62 Male
25 Female
Average age is 28.8

Entire School M F Total
American Indian 4 2 6
Asian 28 29 57
Black 6 8 14
Hispanic 8 6 14
White 116 72 188
Other 69 35 104

Yes several organizations exist like Student National Medical Association, South Asian Medical Association, Association for Women in Medicine, and several others.

Facilities
13. Tell me about the library and extracurricular facilities (i.e., housing and athletic/recreational facilities).

The Library is standard, not too large and not too small. Wifi, computer labs, printing, copying, scanning, and most resources are available. Cubicle and group study areas are available. Usually open 24hrs/daily except for hollidays.

14. Are there computer facilities available to students? Are they integrated into the curriculum/learning?

Yes, some of our exams are taken in the computer lab such Essentials of Clinical Reasoning, and Histology.

15. What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings—are available or required for clerkships? Does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?

During or 2nd and 3rd year the Scholl Foot and Ankle clinic is student run clinic which provides students with real life experience in Podiatry. Currently the clinic is slow and students see approximately 1-2pts during a morning or afternoon shift. Students are allowed and encouraged to do rotations at other institutions in chicago and all across the United States during externships. I don't know of any podiatry rotations internationally

16. Is a car necessary for clinical rotations? Is parking a problem?

I would have to say yes. Chicago has a good public transportation system, but having car would makes things a great deal easier. Parking can be a problem downtown and at certain hospitals. My car has been broken into, and i know of several students who have had similar episodes. Also if you expect to do a lot of traveling to different states a car would help.

Financial Aid
17. What is the current tuition and fees? Is this expected to increase yearly? If so, at what rate?

Base Tuition $30,424
Fees $1,513
Insurance $1,800
Books $2,467
Living Expenses $15,300
Total $51,504

Tuition did increase yearly every year I was here, so I would say i would expect it to increase yearly. I cannot say what the rate will be.

18. Are there stable levels of federal financial aid and substantial amounts of university/endowment aid available to students?

Yes

19. Are there students who have an "unmet need" factor in their budget? If so, where do these students come up with the extra funds?

I would assume yes. Unfortunately i cannot comment because i have no experience in this area. My student loans covered mostly every thing

20. Are spouses and dependents/children covered in a student's budget?

Again I cannot comment I am single w/ no children.

21. Is someone available to assist students with budgeting and financial planning?

Yes, usually by appointment. There is also a mandatory Financial aid counseling before graduation.

22. Does this school provide guidance to its students, and to its graduates/alumni, on debt management?

Yes, refer to question 21.

Student Involvement
23. What school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation?

Students are involved in the curriculum committee and the Executive Student Council.

24. Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service?

There is voluntary and required community service opportunities at school. During the medicine capstone in the early part of your third year you are required to do foot screening and attend free clinics. Also several community service opportunities are available weekly if you pay attention to your emails.

25. How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations?

They are extremely active, however I was not a part of it and attended only one meeting during my four years. They do keep the students informed very well through e-mail.

Policies
26. Is there an established protocol for dealing with student exposure to infectious diseases? Is disability insurance provided to cover this exposure?

Yes, and Yes

27. Does this school provide, or does the student pay for, vaccinations against Hepatitis B or prophylactic AZT treatment in case of a needle-stick or accident?

The school will pay provided you are covered by the schools health insurance

28. Is there a school Honor Code? Is there a grievance process/procedure? Are the students involved?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Residency
29. May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were accepted?

95% Match rate for Class of 2012 who are eligible to match.
Currently 4 students who are eligible to match still do not have programs

St. Marys Hospital - NJ - 1
Westside - FL - 1
Kingston Hospital - NY - 1
Mt. Sinai - North Chicago - 3
Weiss Memorial - IL - 1
New York Hospital - Queens - 1
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center - IL - 1
Mercy Saint Vincent - OH - 1
Bridgeport - CT - 1
Oakwood - MI - 1
Jewish - OH - 1
Jesse Brown - IL - 3
Detroit Medical Center - 2
Yale-New Haven - CT - 1
Ohio State Univ Hosp - 1
Dekalb - 1
POH Regionl Medical Center - MI - 1
West Houston - TX - 1
St. Vincent - MA - 1
Community Westview - IN - 1
Loretto Hosp - IL - 1
South Miami - 1
Loyola Univ Med Center- IL - 2
Kaiser San Fran Foot & Ankle - 2
Lakewood Regional Center - CA -1
INOVA - 1
Steward - St. Elizabeth Med - MA - 1
Kingwood - TX - 1
Gunderson Lutheran - WI - 1
Columbia - St. Mary's - WI - 1
Genesys Regional Med Center - MI - 2
Atlanta VA med center - 1
Rush Health System - IL - 2
VA MD Healthcare system - 1
Sacred Heart Hospital - IL - 2
Our Lady Lourdes - NY - 2
Gouverneur Healthcare services - NY - 1
VA Puget Sound - WA - 1
Wheaton Franciscan - WI - 1
Advocate Illinois Masonic - 2
Botsford - MI - 2
St. Joseph - IL - 2
Norton Audubon - KY - 1
St. Mary & Elizabeth - IL - 1
St. Mary Health system - IN - 1
Swedish Medical Center - WA - 1
Norwegian American Hosp - IL - 1
Henry Ford Macomb - MI - 1
Hunt Regional Med Center - TX - 1
Intermountain Med Center - UT - 1
St. Margaret Mercy - IN - 1
Cedars Sinai Med Center - CA - 1
Christiana Care Health - DE - 1
Providence Hospital - MI - 1
Jackson South Community Hospital - FL - 1
VA Greater LA Healthcare Center - CA - 1
Staten Island Univ Hosp - NY - 1
Mercy Hosp - IL - 1
Medstar Washington Hosp Center - DC - 1

Questions to Ask Yourself
30. Does this school have strengths in the type of podiatric medicine (primary care versus surgery versus biomechanics versus sports medicine) that I will want to practice?

I believe yes. During your 3rd year you will have specific 6 wk long capstones in primary podiatric medicine, radiology, orthopaedics, and surgery.

31. Would I be happy at this school (for at least the next four years)?

I was relatively happy most of the time.......

Last edited:
Hey jacked, can you post that in the stickied thread in the prepod forum?? Thanks A TON!!!!

BUMP

We still need questionnaires filled out for CSPM and KUSCPM (OCPM). I can understand the CSPM, but you KUSCPMers gotta step up your game! [please!]

Also, AZPOD hadn't graduated a class yet when the first post was written, anyone wanna do another one (if it is warranted?).

I promise you all us pre-pods will really appreciate it!

Thanks again