School Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzanneBB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be graduating next year (June 2014) with a BA in Psych and would like to continue on to receive a Psy.D.

I am having a difficult time getting decent information on what options are available to me, which schools, etc. I just stumbled accidentally onto what I think is a BA to Psy.D program at Rutgers which could be completed in as few as 5 years. I'm now wondering what other schools may have this option because Rutgers is a bit of a long commute for me - I live in Long Island, NY.

My main question is: who is supposed to be the "pro" in the area of guiding students in this way? I've tried meeting with the psych department at my school; they either aren't the right ones to speak with or simply aren't very helpful... not sure which.

I'm looking for the person who can basically lay out my options for me, rather than saying "Well, you could try contacting this person or emailing that person to see what they have to suggest." I don't mind doing all of that, but it all leads to more people who say the same thing.

I am getting frustrated at the lack of decent information online and through my school. I just don't really know who to ask next. I've tried calling schools individually, but that is much too time consuming.

Any information would be appreciated :)

Sincerely,
Suzanne

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at this book? If your department is good they should have a copy, or it's worth the $20 investment.

I am going through the process of applying to PsyD programs right now, so I know a lot about the degree and all that is involved in getting one! Let me know if I can help!

I got all my PsyD knowledge from a professor at my university who has that degree.

And I totally agree...there is definitely a lack of information out there about PsyDs :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to stay where you're currently living? That will really limit your options.

Thank you for the replies!

Roubs: I haven't looked at that book yet. School is closed today, but when I return Wednesday I will be going to the Psych department to speak with them and also to see if they have the book. I will go to a book store if they don't.

Psychsquirrel: ANY INFO YOU HAVE! Lol. It is very frustrating. I'm even running into things that say they have a Psy.D program but it's either false info or outdated and they don't offer it anymore.

Cara Susanna: I live in NYC. I am willing to commute as long as it's realistic, but can not move. I'm thankful that I live in New York though because I think I will have many things to look at, I just don't know where.

Right now, I see two programs that look appealing: a Psy.D program at C.W. Post @ LIU after I receive my MA, and a BA-Psy.D track program at Rutgers. The program at Rutgers, if I understand it correctly (can't call yet because of the holiday off) is a 5+ year program where you can go straight from a BA to a Psy.D. The only downside to that would be the commute... probably around 2 hours each way plus tolls, etc. Gonna look into it though because I'd hate to have that discourage me.

Have any of you run across many programs that go straight from BA to Psy.D?

Rutgers is a good program. The vast majority of Psy.D. programs accept students with B.A.s. Only a few require a master's degree. All APA accredited programs are required to post their entrance and outcome statistics, so you can take a look at the average stats (grades, GREs, etc.) for incoming students online. You should also look at what proportion of their students match to an APA accredited internship (which can be important for licensure). A good guideline for a quality program would be roughly 75% or higher APA internship match rates.... Lower than that, and you should consider it a red flag. You'll also want to consider tuition costs and funding, of course.