School List: > 3.9 sGPA, 517 MCAT (retake)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YCP Pre-Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I was looking for some advice on how to apply for Medical School. I have been doing some personal research on schools to apply too, but unfortunately, I haven't had much guidance aside from my own reading. Would appreciate some advice or comments from the helpful people of this forum.

Demographics
Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian
Region: PA
University: Medium-sized, liberal Arts

Stats
GPA: > 3.9 (both cGPA and sGPA)
MCAT: 517 (96% percentile). My first attempt was the old one: 25 (50% percentile) :(.

Clinical Hours/Volunteering
Shadowing: 100 + (multiple departments)
Volunteering: 200 + (PACU, Patient Transport, Pediatric Floor)
Adviser on Adult Board for a local charity: geared toward empowering teens to get involved in the community.

Positions Held/Jobs
Student Athlete: Track (1 year)
Pre-Med Society: Vice President (responsible for integrating more volunteering in the club)
Member of Alpha Chi: Honors Society (Top 5% of College)
Several Part Time Jobs - Current one with seasonal hours, run by my family.
Assistant Varsity Men's Basketball Coach (3 years)

Research
1.5 years: Independent Project for the College (Some of that time was learning the ins and outs of tissue culture + helping my adviser with other projects). No publication, but poster and presentation likely.

Other
Taking a Gap Year: Seeking Employment in a Clinical Setting (Scribe, Nurse's Aid, etc.). Really wanted to pursue a research position, but it is looking like that won't be financially feasible.

Will be receiving LOR from a committee (anticipating good to very strong letters)

Additional Questions:
1) Is the previous MCAT score really going to hurt me?
2) Are there any aspects of my application that are sorely lacking?
3) Looking at MD for more research focus, but should I consider DO?

*Will definitely be applying to instate schools (Penn State Hershey and Drexel), but any suggestions other than that?*

For those that do help, thank you very much! I will be looking at these comments for some guidelines in where to to apply!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers,

Additional Questions:

1) There are schools that average multiple MCAT scores for sure. Most will account for the fact you took it twice and did poorly the first time. However, it's hardly some deal breaker or remotely close to it and worth overly fretting about. Just apply reasonably.
2) Everything looks decent
3) Your stats are may be competitive for some of the bigger name top 20 schools potentially. However, there are a lot of variables for those schools but yes it might be worth applying to some. You don't really need DO schools.

As for specific schools, invest in MSAR and target schools with median MCATs in the 31-36 range. I would apply to all PA schools except probably Penn off the bat. From there, look through MSAR and come back with a list of about 15-20 schools based off the appropriate MCAT range. Pay attention to IS/OOS also; look for schools that take at least 30% OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're golden!

I suggest:

U VM

U Toledo

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

Tulane

U Miami

Loyola

USF Morsani

Hofstra

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor or JHU

Pitt or Northwestern

1 or 2 of the Manhattan Giants

Vanderbilt

Harvard or Yale

Your state school(s).

Hello SDNers,

I was looking for some advice on how to apply for Medical School. I have been doing some personal research on schools to apply too, but unfortunately, I haven't had much guidance aside from my own reading. Would appreciate some advice or comments from the helpful people of this forum.

Demographics

Stats
MCAT: 517 (96% percentile). My first attempt was the old one: 25 (50% percentile) :(.

Adviser on Adult Board for a local charity: geared toward empowering teens to get involved in the community.

Positions Held/Jobs
Pre-Med Society: Vice President (responsible for integrating more volunteering in the club)

Research
1.5 years: Independent Project for the College (Some of that time was learning the ins and outs of tissue culture + helping my adviser with other projects). No publication, but poster and presentation likely.

Other
Taking a Gap Year: Seeking Employment in a Clinical Setting (Scribe, Nurse's Aid, etc.). Really wanted to pursue a research position, but it is looking like that won't be financially feasible.

Will be receiving LOR from a committee (anticipating good to very strong letters)

Additional Questions:

*Will definitely be applying to instate schools (Penn State Hershey and Drexel), but any suggestions other than that?*

For those that do help, thank you very much! I will be looking at these comments for some guidelines in where to to apply!

Through what length of time did you complete those 200 hours in PACU/Peds? You don't what it too be too long cause then it seems like you did just a little every week. And not so short that you crammed it all up just to get by.

Through what length of time did you complete those 200 hours in PACU/Peds? You don't what it too be too long cause then it seems like you did just a little every week. And not so short that you crammed it all up just to get by.

That's a good question @LoveBeingHuman:). I think in terms of timeframe, I'll be alright. It was concentrated in one year periods (2 years volunteering total). There were other opportunities to pursue service in areas that I was passionate about (in addition to medicine of course), which is why the service is broken up a bit (freshmen/junior year of college).

Hello SDNers,

Demographics

Stats

Positions Held/Jobs

Research

Other

Additional Questions:

My first MCAT was a 26, second MCAT 34. It is not holding me back. See my school list for ideas, and definitely recommend Scribing (I did that). Good luck to you.

My first MCAT was a 26, second MCAT 34. It is not holding me back. See my school list for ideas, and definitely recommend Scribing (I did that). Good luck to you.

Thanks @Rainbow Zebra, that is encouraging. Have been a little concerned (to put it lightly), but will take care when applying. Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks @Rainbow Zebra, that is encouraging. Have been a little concerned (to put it lightly), but will take care when applying. Congrats on your acceptance!
Thank you. Use that GAP year to strengthen your app (get in the clinical exposure from scribing, volunteer). You have great stats, now round out the rest, and you will be golden.

Hello All. I'm bumping this thread because I am in the process of finishing my primary application. I took one year after I graduated to pursue full-time employment in a clinical setting (glorified phlebotomy). Additionally, I was involved in research that was presented at a regional and national conference (with publication to follow, although we will not have even submitted before the primary goes out). I continued non-clinical volunteer work during this year.

My stats have not changed from the above if you need a refresher. I purchased MSAR to pick schools that were at roughly a 30 MCAT because of my two scores, although I have picked some reach schools that fall more in line with my 517. I am slightly unsure as to where to target because of that retake (although my GPA is high). Here is my list (not necessarily according to preference):

Penn State Hershey
Pittsburg
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
Temple
Commonwealth
University of Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
UPenn
Duke
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Icahn
Albany
NY Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia University
Virginia Commonwealth

Any feedback is appreciated. I targeted East Coast Schools.

Last edited:
Bump again. Any suggestions or comments? Anything is appreciated.