School List 510 MCAT 3.85 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.asp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Third time applicant (had an old MCAT that I used and re-took while working full time and jumped in score) from NYC, ORM, working in clinical research at a major cancer center with a second author publication and a first author in the works.

Since last applying, spent all my time in clinic for work so well above the clinical exposure mark. Published research. Better MCAT while working FT. Have great recs from professors and world renowned surgeons on my service. Also have experience volunteering in underserved areas of the city, tutoring, etc.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.85 cGPA 3.6 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 510 (127,127,128,128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY (NYC)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: SUNY Bing
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Shadowing internists, volunteering in ED, shadowing ER physicians, working as a consenting professional for prospective surgical trials in a major cancer center for 1.5 years.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Internship @ Cornell Med, wet lab work in Binghamton, summer scholar at the Feinstein Institute, research staff @ MSKCC with two publications.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Shadowed internal medicine, vascular surgeon, gynecologist, GI's, head and neck surgeons most recently.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: volunteered via Mentoring in Medicine in the Bronx and other underserved areas of NYC, in upstate NY teaching science to kids, etc.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Dancer since age 5, captain of fusion dance team in college, head of many clubs and teams in college (cultural club, etc.), tutor throughout college, and assisted students with disabilities via note taking in college.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: N/A
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: third time applicant, previously WL'd at GW

Trying to formulate a good school list (can't afford more than 25). Any thoughts on what I should include/exclude?

Loyola Stritch
Oakland
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Albany Med
Geisinger
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Penn State
Stony Brook
Temple
EVMS
U of Colorado
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Quinnipiac
SLU
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Dartmouth
Einstein
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Third time applicant (had an old MCAT that I used and re-took while working full time and jumped in score) from NYC, ORM, working in clinical research at a major cancer center with a second author publication and a first author in the works.

Since last applying, spent all my time in clinic for work so well above the clinical exposure mark. Published research. Better MCAT while working FT. Have great recs from professors and world renowned surgeons on my service. Also have experience volunteering in underserved areas of the city, tutoring, etc.

Trying to formulate a good school list (can't afford more than 25). Previously WL'd at GW. Any thoughts on what I should include/exclude?

Loyola Stritch
Oakland
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Albany Med
Geisinger
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Penn State
Stony Brook
Temple
EVMS
U of Colorado
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Quinnipiac
SLU
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Dartmouth
Einstein
NYU
And just how can we comment on a list without and background info?????

Hello,

Trying to formulate a good school list (can't afford more than 25). Previously WL'd at GW. Any thoughts on what I should include/exclude?

Loyola Stritch
Oakland
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Albany Med
Geisinger
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Penn State
Stony Brook
Temple
EVMS
U of Colorado
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Quinnipiac
SLU
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Dartmouth
Einstein
NYU

Personally think TUFTS, Dartmouth, Einstein, NYU, Stonybook are a reach. I would consider Howard, Seton Hall, Wright State, Moorehouse, NSU, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, NSU, Rush

Last edited:
@Goro

Sorry about that, I posted without editing in the middle of work and didn't get a chance to update until now.

@Mr.Smile12

Thank you so much for pointing out the template, i was unaware and have changed my OP accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally think TUFS, Dartmouth, Einstein, NYU, Stonybook are a reach. I would consider Howard, Seton Hall, Wright State, Moorehouse, NSU, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton, NSU, Rush

Thank you so much for your response!

I understand those are reaches, completely agree. However, Howard, Morehouse are HBCU's so wouldn't they be poor choices for me as an ORM?

I will absolutely look into those, however, thank you again.

I suggest these schools from your list:
Loyola Stritch
Oakland
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Albany Med
Geisinger
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Penn State
Stony Brook
Temple
EVMS
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Quinnipiac
SLU
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
Consider adding these schools:
Seton Hall
Jefferson
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin

I suggest these schools from your list:
Loyola Stritch
Oakland
SUNY Upstate
Tulane
Albany Med
Geisinger
SUNY Buffalo
Vermont
Penn State
Stony Brook
Temple
EVMS
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
NYMC
Quinnipiac
SLU
Wake Forest
SUNY Downstate
Consider adding these schools:
Seton Hall
Jefferson
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin

@Faha Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask, regarding Creighton, is it not a Jesuit school looking for a specific applicant pool?

Thank you again.

@Faha Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask, regarding Creighton, is it not a Jesuit school looking for a specific applicant pool?

Thank you again.
Yes, and so are St. Louis and Loyola. They are looking for applicants with many clinical and non clinical hours.

Yes, and so are St. Louis and Loyola. They are looking for applicants with many clinical and non clinical hours.
Understood, thank you!

Do you have any comments on what my chances would be for the NY schools since I'm from the area/if that matters at all?