MD School list advice (3.89c/3.95s/521 CA resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mardybum

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted here a little while ago but have since updated my school list. I want to try and keep it at 20-25 schools if possible, and ideally I'd want to go to school in California, Chicago, or urban environments. Basically I want to know if this list is too top-heavy and if so, what lower tier schools I should add.
  • 3.89 cumulative GPA
  • 3.95 science GPA
  • 521 MCAT (130/128/132/131)
  • White, CA resident, 1st generation American
  • Nontrad-ish: I was about to start a PhD program and then realized I wanted to do medicine
  • ~3600 hours research, one 6th author pub, one 1st author in the works, one conference poster
  • ~70 hours clinical volunteering
  • ~200 hours nonclinical volunteering
  • EDIT: forgot to mention ~50 hours shadowing ortho
  • One year group tutor, one quarter TAing, private tutor now
  • Art hobby (relevant volunteering, one shared exhibit at my university, t-shirts/poster designs for school events, etc.)
Tentative school list:
  1. Stanford
  2. UCSF
  3. Penn
  4. Columbia
  5. Duke
  6. NYU
  7. U Chicago
  8. U Michigan
  9. UCLA
  10. Vanderbilt
  11. U Pittsburg
  12. Northwestern
  13. Cornell
  14. UCSD
  15. Baylor
  16. Emory
  17. Mayo
  18. Case Western
  19. BU
  20. USC
  21. Einstein
  22. UC Irvine
  23. Tufts
  24. Davis
  25. UC Riverside
The reason I didn't include Sinai was that one of my English classes was comparative literature and they don't count that under the English umbrella. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to edit this list!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Delete Tufts, Einstein, and UCR.
Get some primary care shadowing.
Thanks! I forgot to mention I have ortho shadowing but it might be difficult to get primary care since I don't have any family members/friends in medicine. If I delete those few schools, though, what would I put as my "safety" schools?

Thanks! I forgot to mention I have ortho shadowing but it might be difficult to get primary care since I don't have any family members/friends in medicine. If I delete those few schools, though, what would I put as my "safety" schools?
Your state schools serve as such.
Applying to schools where your stats are above the 90th percentile are just as unlikely as applying where they are below the 10th!

Reactions: 1 user