MD School List/Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abrakazam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kansas Resident - 3.8 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, MCAT unknown (Judging from practice tests, on the lower end of ~28 :( Physics, why?)

Awards/Leadership:
- Competitive full tuition scholarship
- School cartoonist with 2 state awards
-TA/SI for both Biology and Chemistry
-Alumni Relations Program member
-VP Risk Management in Sorority
-Recruitment counselor in Sorority
-Peer leader job for a Summer Bridge program for urban students

Volunteering:
-300 hours high-risk student mentor program
-Volunteering honor's society member
-50 hours shadowing at hospital in ER and Oncology
-75 hours running St. Jude Children's Research Hospital fundraising/awareness event - leadership position
-15 hours volunteering at statewide food bank

Shadowing:
- 20 hours OB-GYN
- competitive premedical program abroad, featured clinician speakers and 20 hours shadowing in GP, sexual health clinic, and DO

Other:
-Undergraduate research course - experiment failed horribly

Letters of Reccomendation: 2 Bio Professors, 1 Psych Professor, Dean of Students and 1 Physician

I have AMCAS and have been using that to narrow down schools, but man is it hard when you only have one shot at an in-state school. Does anyone have any direction as to what schools are both friendly to lower MCAT, and OOS friendly?

I'm hoping for early decision at KU med, but I don't know if I have a shot...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have lots of shadowing, but no actual patient contact? experience? If not, that will be an app killer. You need to show us that you like being around sick people, especially since you're going to be doing it for the next 30-40 years. You also need to show us you know what you're getting into? Other than shadowing, have you set foot in a hospital or clinic?

An MCAT of 28 is fine for DO programs, but pretty much the floor for MD school. But you should have some luck with KS (MCAT avg = 30) and perhaps the schools in the neighboring states, like NE, AR or OK. MSAR Online is your friend.

Kansas Resident - 3.8 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, MCAT unknown (Judging from practice tests, on the lower end of ~28 :( Physics, why?)

Awards/Leadership:
- Competitive full tuition scholarship
- School cartoonist with 2 state awards
-TA/SI for both Biology and Chemistry
-Alumni Relations Program member
-VP Risk Management in Sorority
-Recruitment counselor in Sorority
-Peer leader job for a Summer Bridge program for urban students

Volunteering:
-300 hours high-risk student mentor program
-Volunteering honor's society member
-50 hours shadowing at hospital in ER and Oncology
-75 hours running St. Jude Children's Research Hospital fundraising/awareness event - leadership position
-15 hours volunteering at statewide food bank

Shadowing:
- 20 hours OB-GYN
- competitive premedical program abroad, featured clinician speakers and 20 hours shadowing in GP, sexual health clinic, and DO

Other:
-Undergraduate research course - experiment failed horribly

Letters of Reccomendation: 2 Bio Professors, 1 Psych Professor, Dean of Students and 1 Physician

I have AMCAS and have been using that to narrow down schools, but man is it hard when you only have one shot at an in-state school. Does anyone have any direction as to what schools are both friendly to lower MCAT, and OOS friendly?

I'm hoping for early decision at KU med, but I don't know if I have a shot...

You have lots of shadowing, but no actual patient contact? experience? If not, that will be an app killer. You need to show us that you like being around sick people, especially since you're going to be doing it for the next 30-40 years. You also need to show us you know what you're getting into? Other than shadowing, have you set foot in a hospital or clinic?

An MCAT of 28 is fine for DO programs, but pretty much the floor for MD school. But you should have some luck with KS (MCAT avg = 30) and perhaps the schools in the neighboring states, like NE, AR or OK. MSAR Online is your friend.

I've done a ton of volunteering in Oncology with patient contact, and as far as my shadowing goes it's been pretty hands on. However, I could use more direct contact - a lot of my volunteering has been hands off. I'll see what I can do to fix that!

Thanks for the support - I'll comb through the nearby midwest schools. Here's hoping my MCAT score is a pleasant surprise, ugh.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? I was also planning on attempting EDP at KU.
The majority of schools that accept EDP candidates only accept a very few (e.g. Einstein: 3/183, Baylor: 1/186). Some (usually public) schools take more, like U of K (40/210 last year).
EDP applicants should be quite confident of their candidacy, since a failed attempt potentially delays their application to other schools until as late as October. This would have a chilling effect on chances and the explanation doesn't reflect well upon one's judgement.

While I get what your saying, I think the stats you presented can be a bit misleading. Yes, 210 people matriculated into ku last year. However, I would be interested in seeing how many actually applied for EDP out of the 45 who got in. (2014 class stats)

I think for those of us who might not have a super stand-out mcat, with only one option in terms of in state schools, it seems to make sense to want to apply EDP. The chances of getting into an OOS program, in general, are already very slim. Idk.. just my two cents.

A very quick rundown of what im working with:

Dual degree - Business and Chemistry
GPA - 3.95 sGPA - 4.00
MCAT - 29
~ 500 service hours including about 250 in the ER with patient contact
-Multiple leadership positions
-Part time employment
~200 hours of Organic synthesis research
You might well be right, but only the people at U of K can confirm this. They are the only ones who know how many applied and were interviewed. It is my contention that all EDP candidates inform themselves well before committing to a course that, if not well received, dramatically reduces their odds at other institutions.

Last edited by a moderator: