School List for 2018-2019. DACA Recipient.

Started by stilly20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stilly20

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am applying this upcoming cycle but seeing as I am a DACA recipient, I have to be very selective in which schools I apply to so I don't waste my time or money.

cGPA: 3.73, sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 515 (128/129/128/130)
Undergrad at a large public university in Florida
Hispanic
Clinical Experience: ~2000 hours as a scribe in various ERs around the country
Two research labs, one with ~600 hours and the other with ~3000 hours. No pubs or presentations, possible second author credits in the future.
Shadowed one surgery specialty with ~120 hours
Volunteered at:
-Community care clinic ~100 hours
-Nursing homes and hospice ~400 hours
-Public health Internship ~120 hours
Employment:
-Tutored & mentored foster kids ~200 hours
-Retail employee & manager ~4000 hours
Awards & Leadership:
-E-board of a community service club
-Trainer Scribe
-Full scholarship for undergrad
Various hobbies with longstanding commitment.

These are the schools I have in mind so far that consider DACA applicants.
Columbia
UCSF
Northwestern
Mt Sinai
Emory
Cornell
Ohio
USC
Einstein
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Miami
MC Wisconsin
SUNY downstate
SUNY upstate
Loyola
Rosalind
Tulane
Brown
Jefferson
Georgetown
Vermont

Opinions on school list? Should I consider applying to DO as well? Anyone know of any other schools that look favorably upon DACA applicants?
 
Do you have the MSAR? The MSAR tells you all this information. Over all there are around around 50ish private schools across the US for applicants to chose from. The majority of medicals not included in this number have a strong in-state bias for their students. Of the 50ish private schools 33 reported to the MSAR they accept DACA applicants. 4 other schools reported they accepted DACA applicants in a case-be-case basis. Bellow are the list of the schools that accept DACA applicants:

  1. Harvard
  2. Upenn
  3. Vanderbilt
  4. WashU
  5. Cornell
  6. Yale
  7. Uchicago
  8. Northwestern
  9. Columbia
  10. Duke
  11. St Louis University
  12. Stanford
  13. Icahn
  14. Penn State
  15. Thomas Jefferson
  16. Einstein
  17. Emory
  18. Case
  19. Loma Linda
  20. Brown
  21. Hofstra
  22. Rush
  23. Medical College of Wisconsin
  24. Keck USC
  25. Dartmouth
  26. University of Miami
  27. University of Pittsburgh
  28. Loyola
  29. Tufts
  30. Tulane
  31. NY Medical College
  32. Georgetown
  33. Rosalind Franklin

Case-by-base
  1. Mayo
  2. NYU
  3. Boston
  4. Quinnipiac

Are you a URM? I personally do not know if all DACA recipients are URM. If you are you have a very good chance at many of these schools. A URM with a 3.7 and a 515 MCAT has a chance of getting into any medical school in the country including Harvard.

If you need financial help for applying you should look into the AAMC Fee Assistance Program they cover 16 primary applications and just about all secondary applications. I am not sure if DACA recipients are eligible for this.

Hope this helps and wish you the best of luck.

It would also be nice to have the advice of some of the adcoms as well. @Goro @Faha would give the best advice.
 
So I am applying this upcoming cycle but seeing as I am a DACA recipient, I have to be very selective in which schools I apply to so I don't waste my time or money.

cGPA: 3.73, sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 515 (128/129/128/130)
Undergrad at a large public university in Florida
Hispanic
Clinical Experience: ~2000 hours as a scribe in various ERs around the country
Two research labs, one with ~600 hours and the other with ~3000 hours. No pubs or presentations, possible second author credits in the future.
Shadowed one surgery specialty with ~120 hours
Volunteered at:
-Community care clinic ~100 hours
-Nursing homes and hospice ~400 hours
-Public health Internship ~120 hours
Employment:
-Tutored & mentored foster kids ~200 hours
-Retail employee & manager ~4000 hours
Awards & Leadership:
-E-board of a community service club
-Trainer Scribe
-Full scholarship for undergrad
Various hobbies with longstanding commitment.

These are the schools I have in mind so far that consider DACA applicants.
Columbia
UCSF
Northwestern
Mt Sinai
Emory
Cornell
Ohio
USC
Einstein
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Miami
MC Wisconsin
SUNY downstate
SUNY upstate
Loyola
Rosalind
Tulane
Brown
Jefferson
Georgetown
Vermont

Opinions on school list? Should I consider applying to DO as well? Anyone know of any other schools that look favorably upon DACA applicants?
What ethnic group do you represent?

Spanish speaker?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What ethnic group do you represent?

Spanish speaker?
I am South American Hispanic and I am a native Spanish speaker with the ability to speak both medical and science terms in Spanish since I often translate to patients in Spanish and tutor Spanish-only speaking kids in grade school.
 
I am South American Hispanic and I am a native Spanish speaker with the ability to speak both medical and science terms in Spanish since I often translate to patients in Spanish and tutor Spanish-only speaking kids in grade school.
Well, you don't qualify as URM, but the Spanish skills and commitment to community are always good. I can't comment as to DACA as I have no knowledge of that area, other than my school doesn't accept DACA kids...you have to be US citizens or green card holders.

I suggest the following:
ALL FL schools
U VA
U MI
Case
Mayo
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
U Cincy
SLU
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
The three PR schools that take mainlanders
UCSF
Yale