School list for a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Here's a list of schools to which I'm thinking about applying/reapplying. I'd love any advice on which ones to remove and which to add.

You can check out my MDapps for what happened last cycle. Between then and now, I've been doing well in an informal post-bacc, got some altruistic volunteer work under my belt, and worked at a private practice for a year.

Three new LORs will replace/supplement my old letters and a brand spankin' new PS is nearly done.

1. Albany
2. Boston
3. Drexel
4. EVMS
5. Florida International
6. George Washington
7. Georgetown
8. Jefferson
9. Loyola
10. MC Wisconsin
11. Michigan State
12. OHSU
13. Penn State
14. Rosalind Franklin
15. St. Louis U
16. Stanford
17. SUNY Downstate
18. SUNY Upstate
19. Temple
20. Tufts
21. Tulane
22. U at Buffalo
23. U of Arizona
24. U of Arkansas
25. U of Central Florida
26. U of Illinois
27. U of Maryland
28. U of Minnesota
29. U of Rochester
30. U of Southern California
31. U of Toledo
32. U of Vermont
33. UC Davis
34. UC Irvine
35. Virginia Commonwealth
36. Wake Forest
37. Wayne State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
good list...i would delete arkansas, FIU, and UCF...but if u have state-ties to florida and arkansas, u're good

Members don't see this ad :)
there's a new med school in penn..the commonwealth, and you should look into some texas schools like texas tech and san antonio..the stats there arent too crazy

there's a new med school in penn..the commonwealth, and you should look into some texas schools like texas tech and san antonio..the stats there arent too crazy
The stats there arent too crazy, but they're still around 3.6...

Looks like a pretty good list for you. I'd get rid of Stanford though, I think you'll be wasting your money there.

Thanks for the tip. Do OOS residents do well in the TMDSAS?

Thanks for the tip. Do OOS residents do well in the TMDSAS?

i dont know the stats, but i have some friends from cali that got accepted to UT san antonio and texas tech with average stats (3.5 and 30 MCAT)

Just my $.02, I'd nix Rochester and most of the UCs and SUNYs...I had a 31/3.85 and didn't get squat from Rochester (and have an extensive background in working with Deaf people) and the numbers for the others are pretty high unless you have a new MCAT score...maybe even Maryland. I'm IS and they're gonna waitlist me.

That money would be better spent at some of the midwest state schools, Philly private schools, and your costs for going to interviews. Did you look at the updated school selection spreadsheet?

Good luck!!

Just my $.02, I'd nix Rochester and most of the UCs and SUNYs...I had a 31/3.85 and didn't get squat from Rochester (and have an extensive background in working with Deaf people) and the numbers for the others are pretty high unless you have a new MCAT score...maybe even Maryland. I'm IS and they're gonna waitlist me.

That money would be better spent at some of the midwest state schools, Philly private schools, and your costs for going to interviews. Did you look at the updated school selection spreadsheet?

Good luck!!
Midwest state schools? Like Nebraska & Louisville?

My rationale for Maryland is that I got interviewed there (my only interview) last cycle. While I have a feeling it was a mistake (long story), I wouldn't mind going there. Even with the exorbitant price tag!

I am real sorry about your cycle. You were the embodiment of applying broadly.

but hey, have you thought about DOs, or is DO school out of question?

I am real sorry about your cycle. You were the embodiment of applying broadly.

but hey, have you thought about DOs, or is DO school out of question?
I considered DO, but I would only go if it was to stay in California. Touro is in the dumps, IMHO, and Western needs a 3.5 to even apply.

I'd hate to put all my eggs in one basket again, but the TMDSAS isn't that friendly to mediocre OOS applicants and I definitely don't want the Caribbean.

So I looked into the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, they want MCAT scores from at most 2 years ago and mine will be 3 years old.

Sucks! Looked like a good school.

I heard that AZ has opened up to OOS applicants so I'll add that to my list.

My MSAR is two years old. Is there information on any other new schools/old schools with new policies?

Midwest state schools? Like Nebraska & Louisville?

My rationale for Maryland is that I got interviewed there (my only interview) last cycle. While I have a feeling it was a mistake (long story), I wouldn't mind going there. Even with the exorbitant price tag!

dont apply to nebraska and louisville..waste of 60 bucks!!

i applied to louisville and they stated in their secondary application...KENTUCKY TIES? plus, i heard they prefer in-state residents or OOS folks with kentucky connection. waste of my 30 bucks.

So I looked into the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, they want MCAT scores from at most 2 years ago and mine will be 3 years old.

Sucks! Looked like a good school.

I heard that AZ has opened up to OOS applicants so I'll add that to my list.

My MSAR is two years old. Is there information on any other new schools/old schools with new policies?

Id drop arkansas and about AZ, while i know in the new MSAR it says up to 25% can be from well qualified OOS, when you try to apply on amcas it says they only accept their own residents....something you might want to check up on..I know im going to(if you do chcek tell me so i dont have to call them lol):D.

I just realized we are applying to exactly the same schools minus arkansas and wayne state....I was thinking of adding wayne state too but the tuition for OOS scares me.