School List Help (3.6 516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingMedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help for my list would be awesome
California resident, Asian (Chinese) worse combination to try to get into medical school
cGPA 3.61 sGPA 3.53 Upward trend for the last 2ish years 3.7+ except 1 quarter.
(3.5,3.3,3.8,3.73) Had a concussion sophomore year while taking Ochem.

MCAT 516 (130,126,130,130)
  • Research ~625 hrs no publications
    • worked with graduate students to develop a research question. helped with troubleshooting and development of the procedures. Brain slicing, animal handling, drug preparation, DNA extraction and analysis, data collection and analysis, and ran different experiments.
  • Clinical volunteering ~ 200 hrs
    • ER Intern (80hrs) worked in the ER stocking among other things. We observed different resus room cases. I participated various procedures ie. reduction of a fracture.
    • EMT rotation (36hrs) observed PTX, paracentesis, took vitals, connected EKG, performed CPR. certified EMT and getting county certification to start work during my Gap year.
    • Surgical Dept (70hrs) cleaned and restocked the OR/ other things within the department. Wheeled patient into and out of the OR. Watched a few procedures while I was volunteering.
    • ED research (30 hrs) educated the patient in the study we were doing and obtained consent. Enrolled them into the study and worked with them with their daily research diaries and tested them.
  • TA ~120hrs
    • TAed for multiple PE classes (cycling, ultimate, rock climbing) actually taught techniques and skills rather than just cheering people on.
  • Leadership
    • executive staff for a Hiking club that took anyone to the outdoors regardless of their finical situation. Ran on donations and grant writing. Built the club up from 5 officers to a team of 20 and becoming the biggest club on campus with over 200+ people at some meetings.
    • Officer positions (1 year executive and 2 year safety officer) on the Cycling Club/team. Obtained and allocated funds to increase the women team due to the under-represented nature of women in cycling and high barrier of entry. We ended up winning conference twice.
    • Vice president of Scuba club (1 year) Worked to help bring scuba club back to the school. Obtained sponsorships and deals for students to get discounts on classes and organized trips.
  • Work -- to pay for rent :dead:Can I even list this stuff?
    • 1.5 years of working at a coffee shop to pay for rent - promoted to supervisor last quarter ~1450hrs
    • 3 years of summer camp job where I went from assistant coach to head coach to director of the camp ~1300hrs
    • Bike mechanic ~200hrs
    • 2 Graduation/portrait photographer
  • LOR
    • Letter from anatomy class and lab professor (taught at medical school level)
    • Letter from exercise physiology/ clinical physiology professor (MD)
    • Letter from PI
    • Letter from PE teacher (unusual I know)

List
Cooper
Duke
Herbert Wertheim
EVMS
FIU
Georgetown
USC -- Keck
Loyola
OSHU
Rush
TUFTS
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Colorado
Wake Forest
Umass
UCONN
Arizona
Vermont
Oakland
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's a little top-heavy but it's not bad. I'd add some safer stuff in addition to what you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can and should list your work stuff. Your list looks OK, but Rush is service oriented and you don’t have volunteering. OHSU and UConn take few OOS. Add Tulane, Creighton, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many adcoms are fond of work experience, definitely list!

I am just worried when I look at other applicants and they have like 1000+ hrs of clinical and non clinical volunteer experience.

Yes, you can and should list your work stuff. Your list looks OK, but Rush is service oriented and you don’t have volunteering. OHSU and UConn take few OOS. Add Tulane, Creighton, etc.

I understand OHSU takes few OOS but I have been fond of the campus as I have visited before during my trips to Portland and thats why I wanted to apply there. As for volunteering, I think I could put my leadership experience there but I think it is more impactful as leadership experience compared to generic volunteering. Also any other recommendations for schools? Any input @Goro.

Thank you all for the responses.

Last edited:
I am just worried when I look at other applicants and they have like 1000+ hrs of clinical and non clinical volunteer experience.

Thank you all for the responses.
You may have 1000+ clinical volunteering hours and 200-300 hours of work experience as well, seems that you have a lot more, which is great. It doesn't have to be medically related. When I came to America my first job was cutting trees and bushes, after that I worked as traffic controller, and then as a store associate for a year, it helped me cover my living and immigration expenses, and boosted my English. You don't have to have work experience to get into medical school, but imagine that each medical school receives 4000+ applications for 150-250 seats, so you definitely want to be ahead of the crowd, and having some work experience will serve you a good service.

Any help for my list would be awesome
California resident, Asian (Chinese) worse combination to try to get into medical school
cGPA 3.61 sGPA 3.53 Upward trend for the last 2ish years 3.75+ except 1 quarter.
MCAT 516 (130,126,130,130)
  • Research ~600 hrs no publications
  • Clinical volunteering ~ 200 hrs -- my advisor said some of those hours could be counted as shadowing as I was working directly with physicians -- ie helped reduce a fracture, vitals, EMT rotations (should I put that as something else).
  • Leadership
    • executive staff for a Hiking club that took anyone to the outdoors regardless of their finical situation. Ran on donations and grant writing. Built the club up from 5 officers to a team of 20 and becoming the biggest club on campus.
    • Officer positions (1 year executive and 2 year safety officer) on the Cycling Club/team. Obtained and allocated funds to increase the women team due to the under-represented nature of women in cycling and high barrier of entry. We ended up winning conference twice.
  • Work -- to pay for rent :dead:Can I even list this stuff?
    • 1.5 years of working at a coffee shop to pay for rent
    • 2 years of summer camp job where I went from assistant coach to head coach to director of the camp
    • 2 Graduation/portrait photographer
Was not really able to volunteer too much as I was working to get $$$ for rent.

List
Cooper
Duke
Herbert Wertheim
EVMS
FIU
Georgetown
USC -- Keck
Loyola
OSHU
Rush
TUFTS
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Colorado
Wake Forest
Umass
UCONN
Arizona
Vermont
Oakland
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Here is a more realistic list:
Hofstra
Pitt
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U VM
Duke
Case
ALL UCs, but UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
Gtown
Sinai
BU

Here is a more realistic list:
Hofstra
Pitt
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U VM
Duke
Case
ALL UCs, but UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
Gtown
Sinai
BU

Thanks for the help. I am not from the Inland empire so I should not apply for UCR correct?

As for some of the schools do you not think the median accepted applicants GPA is significantly higher than mine (IE. all of the 3.8+ schools SLU, CAse, SINAI, PITT etc)

Thanks for the help. I am not from the Inland empire so I should not apply for UCR correct?

As for some of the schools do you not think the median accepted applicants GPA is significantly higher than mine (IE. all of the 3.8+ schools SLU, CAse, SINAI, PITT etc)

By definition 50% of accepted students are below the median... you could be one of them.

You're in striking distance. these are schools that reward rising GPA trends/reinvention.

And yes, rule out UCR

By definition 50% of accepted students are below the median... you could be one of them.
I know 2 of my schools I am below their 10th percentile GPA by like 0.05...But that means 10% of their students had less than those GPAs so, who knows.

Reactions: 2 users
I know 2 of my schools I am below their 10th percentile GPA by like 0.05...But that means 10% of their students had less than those GPAs so, who knows.

That is true. However, I am 0.10 below SLU for my cGPA but my MCAT is higher than their average so in this situation should I weigh my MCAT more than my GPA when looking at some of these schools. I think I am in range of most of the schools for MCAT but for some my gpa is slightly below their 25th or 10th percentile. So in reality how much can my MCAT score carry me in this situation. @EmbryonalCarcinoma

You’re overthinking it and stats aren’t everything. If you’re in range or close to it, you’re fine, except at places that don’t accept many OOS applicants.

I’m >90th percentile for MCAT where my GPA is near median. I’m <10th percentile for GPA where my MCAT is near median. If I over analyzed it like you, I’d have nowhere to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is true. However, I am 0.10 below SLU for my cGPA but my MCAT is higher than their average so in this situation should I weigh my MCAT more than my GPA when looking at some of these schools. I think I am in range of most of the schools for MCAT but for some my gpa is slightly below their 25th or 10th percentile. So in reality how much can my MCAT score carry me in this situation. @EmbryonalCarcinoma
Somebody has to be int he 10th %ile...why not you???

True. Thanks yall for making me realize that it is more than just stats when considering schools

Close to final list. Any schools I should take out or add to the list? I have updated the exact hours of each activity + Letter writers. @Goro
any input @gyngyn @Faha

Eastern Virginia
Loyola
U Mass
Vermont
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC - KECK
Western MI
Empory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
Duke
Case
Georgetown
Sinai
BU
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF

I think it's pretty top-heavy. It looks a bit unrealistic to me, honestly

Yes, add all of those to your list.
Yeah second that. I would remove Duke, Dartmouth, and Emory, personally. Add more mid tier like Albany, MCW, and Wake. I had similar stats and great EC's and I was disappointed my first cycle when I got 1 interview and didn't get in.

It seems like this cycle is not what I wanted it to be. I am thinking of skipping a year and applying next cycle (last cycle for my MCAT score) as some of my EC have been halted due to the pandemic and I feel like maybe I can take some more time to improve my application through post-bacc and more volunteering/shadowing. This cycle I ended up with 1 II which lead to the waitlist. I am going to change my school list for the next cycle and add on DO to increase my chances of getting in. any other advice to improve my application? @Goro

During this cycle I was working as an full-time EMT, taking classes at community college for phlebotomy and EKG (lab classes are cancelled due to the pandemic so I cannot finish the certificate), volunteering at a local food access organization, and working with Team Rubicon which is currently working a food bank mission.

Any advice to find a non-science LOR writer as I believe the PE teacher LOR may have been viewed unfavorably.

I think it’s your lack of volunteer work and community service that did you in rather than a letter of rec, granted I definitely could be wrong. I personally find it strange that you could have time to be an officer for three different clubs (hiking, scuba, cycling) and not have a single experience working with disadvantaged/underserved groups.

I think it’s your lack of volunteer work and community service that did you in rather than a letter of rec, granted I definitely could be wrong. I personally find it strange that you could have time to be an officer for three different clubs (hiking, scuba, cycling) and not have a single experience working with disadvantaged/underserved groups.
Where did you get WL'ed? Did you network with any schools before applying? Which DO schools have you talked to and have you attended their virtual recruitment fairs?

I also agree with @Sky138 that while we don't have your application, I didn't see any commitment to community service where you immerse yourself in the concerns of vulnerable populations. The food bank stuff should help, and you should continue doing so during this time if you can.

EVMS. I did not network with any of the schools before applying. I understand that nothing was directly related to the underserved community therefore I have tried to change that through my current volunteering experience ie working with the food bank and helping with food access.

I have not looked into DO schools yet as I do not believe I will be applying this upcoming cycle. I am currently also looking into Tulanes ACLP program as a way to prove myself.

@Mr.Smile12 @Sky138 thanks for your responses.

Do you have any life experiences that can help you identify with underserved patients? Don’t get me wrong, its good that you’re volunteering but when you get an interview and they ask you why you did such and such, can you say I did this for ______ rather than simply to get into med school? That’s ok if you don’t just checking to make sure you’re putting up the best app possible.

I have not looked into DO schools yet as I do not believe I will be applying this upcoming cycle. I am currently also looking into Tulanes ACLP program as a way to prove myself.
All the more reason to do some networking with students and admissions staff at the DO schools. However, with your metrics, MD as listed by Goro should still be in play and you should still do your homework connecting with them.

Do you have any life experiences that can help you identify with underserved patients? Don’t get me wrong, its good that you’re volunteering but when you get an interview and they ask you why you did such and such, can you say I did this for ______ rather than simply to get into med school? That’s ok if you don’t just checking to make sure you’re putting up the best app possible.

Yea i do have a lot of life experiences that relate to what I am doing. Its fairly prominent as it is my main drive/ topic on my PS. I am an immigrant that grew up poor like dirt poor in my birth country (to put it in perspective, my uncles/aunts had to chew on tree bark/ leather belts to have the sensation of eating). hospitals were last resort for us since they were so expensive/ over 3 hours away. Parents eventually work their way up into well paying jobs then we moved out to America. A lot of what I did with my clubs was a way for me to explore new things and make it more accessible to others.