School List help and is it too late??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aznmentat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.98 GPA in Biomedical Engineering at a pretty well known engineering university
37S MCAT 14P/12B/11V

My EC's are pretty mediocre as of right now
- 2.5 years of research (3 posters and 1 papers likely on the way)
- 2 Summer REU's (one was at Peking University in China)
- Shadowed personal physician 20 hours
- Volunteer work at a Hospital ~60 hours
- Mix of shadowing and conducting clinical observation studies at two hospitals ~100 hours
- Random volunteer activities through organization I will be VP this coming year

Is the following list of schools suitable for my profile. Are there some that I should throw out or others I should add? In addition, its running long right so cuts are definitely in order!

Stanford
Duke
Johns Hopkins
St Louis
Columbia
Yale
UPenn
Emory
University of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Boston University
Northwestern
Dartmouth
UVA
Tulane
Jefferson
Case Western
Brown
Medical College of Georgia
Rosalind Franklin

In particular I would love nothing more than to go to Yale or Stanford. What are my chances at the these two schools!?

With these schools in mind is it a serious detriment to my chances if I have still not submitted my AMCAS application yet!? All my friends are sending me into panic mode because I have yet to send it in. I'm aiming to submit this Friday for the verification process. Am I seriously behind the curve for these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you're not that late. Take Brown off your list (unless you're an ungrad there) and submit ASAP. I'd also recommend adding another safety school or two since that list os very top heavy.

Good luck!

Alright Brown is off the list!

I was looking at typical accepted profiles for a lot of the top schools and its making me realize that my EC's are extremely generic and much weaker than I thought. Do I stand a chance at any of them? As it stands I'm thinking of crossing some of my list and adding in more middle tier schools were I'm more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs are extremely competitive and your stats are terrific. If anyone has a chance at the top schools, it'd be you. Just submit in the next couple of days and you'll get in somewhere.

Alright Brown is off the list!

I was looking at typical accepted profiles for a lot of the top schools and its making me realize that my EC's are extremely generic and much weaker than I thought. Do I stand a chance at any of them? As it stands I'm thinking of crossing some of my list and adding in more middle tier schools were I'm more competitive.

Just wondering, are you leaving out some activities to keep your original post short? Employment experiences, interest groups/clubs, long term & meaningful hobbies, etc. also count. I think you look pretty strong for research, but slightly weak/average for volunteering & clinical exposure for top schools. (MD/PhD maybe?)

Nonetheless, if you did a good job articulating your experiences + your strong stats, I think you have a shot at the schools you listed. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

Just wondering, are you leaving out some activities to keep your original post short? Employment experiences, interest groups/clubs, long term & meaningful hobbies, etc. also count. I think you look pretty strong for research, but slightly weak/average for volunteering & clinical exposure for top schools. (MD/PhD maybe?)

Nonetheless, if you did a good job articulating your experiences + your strong stats, I think you have a shot at the schools you listed. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

Thanks for your supportive words!!

Those are my strongest EC's. Other than those I'm in a neuroscience group on campus and we are pushing to form a neuroscience minor on campus. In addition we are trying to sponsor more collaborative neuro research on campus because there are so many labs working on similar projects on campus without even realizing it. We actually made a scholarship for students interested in neuroscience cross lab collaborative research.

Other than that I have a few awards (deans list, scholarships, etc) and I'm in my pre-health organization. And I've played violin for 14 years (but I haven't been able to play much since I came to college).

I'm pretty active in the volunteering club I'm VP of.

No paid employments other than my REU's which had stipends. And one of my researches lead to a paid bio-inspired design consult for an international company, but I think the content of the consult is confidential so I'm not sure if I should mention it to med schools.