School List Help MD/DO 3.6 GPA 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY-premed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to SDN and wanted some advice on where to apply for this upcoming cycle. Please offer any and all advice and suggestions!!

About Me: White female, age 20, NY resident
Major: Biology with minors in Chem and Italian
Cumulative GPA: 3.607
Science GPA: 3.45
*Not an upward trend but can be explained due to some family/medical issues, A's in all bio classes (chem/physics are in B range)
MCAT Scores: 502 (125/125/125/127)
Research: Just began molecular genetics research in january 2019 but already presented at two festivals/conferences.
Volunteering (clinical): volunteered at Yale peds hem/onc every friday since freshman year of college, volunteered one summer at local medical center, volunteer at local Ronald McDonald House
Physician shadowing: about 500 hours between OB/GYN, cardiologist, and cardiac surgeon
Non-clinical volunteering: one week long summer program volunteering in an underprivileged community near my school, some clinical experience (giving pt's basic health care assessments as they don't have access to healthcare) but also non-clinical (painting homeless shelters, stocking food pantries/feeding the homeless)
Extracurricular activities: one year as Scholarship assistant of my sorority --> promoted to Philanthropy Chair for one year, quadrupled amount of money raised for our charities and began campus-wide campaign affiliated with national campaign. member of bio club, pre-med club, and American medical student association all since freshman year of college
Employment history: Emergency Department Scribe since January 2019, Biology Tutor and Scribe. Also a biology lab assistant and worker at my schools wellness center (work study)
LORs: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 committee, 2 MD
Honors/Awards: several academic scholarships and Honors Program 4 honors societies (pre-med, bio, foreign language, greek life)

List:
  • University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine – Biddeford, Maine
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Philly, PA
  • NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine – Old Westbury (LI), NY
  • Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine – Stratford, NJ
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Middletown, NY
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Harlem, NY
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- Bradenton, FL
  • Nova Southeastern University- Clearwater, FL
  • Geisinger Commonwealth Medical College (MD)
  • New York medical college (MD)
  • NYU Long Island (MD)
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Upstate
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  • Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Cooper MD and Geisinger accept very few applicants who are not from the state with your MCAT. NYU, Stony Brook and SUNY Downstate are far reaches with your MCAT. You are competitive for most DO schools and could add Seton Hall and Albany for MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm new to SDN and wanted some advice on where to apply for this upcoming cycle. Please offer any and all advice and suggestions!!

About Me: White female, age 20, NY resident
Major: Biology with minors in Chem and Italian
Cumulative GPA: 3.607
Science GPA: 3.45
*Not an upward trend but can be explained due to some family/medical issues, A's in all bio classes (chem/physics are in B range)
MCAT Scores: 502 (125/125/125/127)
Research: Just began molecular genetics research in january 2019 but already presented at two festivals/conferences.
Volunteering (clinical): volunteered at Yale peds hem/onc every friday since freshman year of college, volunteered one summer at local medical center, volunteer at local Ronald McDonald House
Physician shadowing: about 500 hours between OB/GYN, cardiologist, and cardiac surgeon
Non-clinical volunteering: one week long summer program volunteering in an underprivileged community near my school, some clinical experience (giving pt's basic health care assessments as they don't have access to healthcare) but also non-clinical (painting homeless shelters, stocking food pantries/feeding the homeless)
Extracurricular activities: one year as Scholarship assistant of my sorority --> promoted to Philanthropy Chair for one year, quadrupled amount of money raised for our charities and began campus-wide campaign affiliated with national campaign. member of bio club, pre-med club, and American medical student association all since freshman year of college
Employment history: Emergency Department Scribe since January 2019, Biology Tutor and Scribe. Also a biology lab assistant and worker at my schools wellness center (work study)
LORs: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 committee, 2 MD
Honors/Awards: several academic scholarships and Honors Program 4 honors societies (pre-med, bio, foreign language, greek life)

List:
  • University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine – Biddeford, Maine
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine – Philly, PA
  • NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine – Old Westbury (LI), NY
  • Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine – Stratford, NJ
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Middletown, NY
  • Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine – Harlem, NY
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- Bradenton, FL
  • Nova Southeastern University- Clearwater, FL
  • Geisinger Commonwealth Medical College (MD)
  • New York medical college (MD)
  • NYU Long Island (MD)
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Upstate
  • State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  • Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
With a 502 MCAT, I think that you're DOA even at the SUNYs
You're fine for any DO school except maybe AZCOM and CCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate's a reach. Stony Brook is a huge reach, and NYU is insane: no chance unless there is something insanely extraordinary you're not telling us. Unless your dad made it possible for NYU to be tuition-free, you're DOA there.

Thank you for the advice! I originally didn't have any SUNY's on my list but after reading several SDN and reddit threads people were saying NY-residents should always just apply to your SUNYs in case. Also the NYU i'm applying to is the one on LI (Winthrop - new school with the 3 yr only program and automatic match into residency) and the general consensus on threads was that they aren't screening people as heavily as the one int the city? The Winthrop site didn't have anything on specific criteria for GPA and MCAT so based on the free tuition and residency match I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

With a 502 MCAT, I think that you're DOA even at the SUNYs
You're fine for any DO school except maybe AZCOM and CCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.
Thank you for the advice! I originally didn't have any SUNY's on my list but after reading several SDN and reddit threads people were saying NY-residents should always just apply to your SUNYs in case. Also the NYU i'm applying to is the one on LI (Winthrop - new school with the 3 yr only program and automatic match into residency) and the general consensus on threads was that they aren't screening people as heavily as the one int the city? The Winthrop site didn't have anything on specific criteria for GPA and MCAT so based on the free tuition and residency match I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Cooper MD and Geisinger accept very few applicants who are not from the state with your MCAT. NYU, Stony Brook and SUNY Downstate are far reaches with your MCAT. You are competitive for most DO schools and could add Seton Hall and Albany for MD schools.

They don't need the donation.

If you could stomach the Midwest, DMU and KCU are solid DO schools that I was very impressed with. Your stats are in the neighborhood of mine, so I feel like you’d have decent shot!

what are everyone's thoughts on my chances at Penn state or Quinnipiac?