School List Help - Reapplicant (3.84, 519)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxmall

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some help narrowing down my school list. Current list is just based on a general MSAR search, so I’d appreciate any feedback!

Stats
3.84 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA
519 MCAT (131 | 128 | 129 | 131)
BS Biomedical Engineering

Demographics
CT resident (can change to WI)
ORM (Asian)
Reapplicant - applied 2020 cycle. In my two gap years, I’ve done a lot to reflect and improve myself –retook the MCAT (512→519), worked as a PCT, founded a nonprofit, and matured as a person in general.

Clinical Experience/Volunteering and Shadowing
- Dialysis Patient Care Technician. 1700 hours over 7 months. Hands-on clinical experience that was really intense as I was working through the pandemic. I initiated, monitored, and terminated patients’ dialysis treatments. I really enjoyed working on the healthcare team, and directly treating patients. I developed quite a knack for cannulation, and was a part of the experienced cannulation team at my clinic. One of my most meaningful experiences.
- Shadowing. 32 hours, Oncology. 16 hours, Nephrology. 15 hours, Orthopedics.
- 30 hours of virtual shadowing.
- 40 hours clinical volunteering at Yale Hospital as a patient support volunteer in a delirium-prevention program.

Research Experience
- 600 hours at an oncology clinical genetics research lab over a summer. Extracted and sequenced DNA from cancer patients’ sample, and analyzed sequencing data for genetic studies. Utilized CRISPR to generate cancer mouse models, performed combinational drug studies on models. Poster session at the end of internship.

Non-Clinical Volunteering
- 450 hours through my service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. Did a wide variety of service through the capital region of NY, and had a handful of leadership experience organizing service events. Founded a school-wide day of service at my university which I’m very proud of – I rallied ~200 students from my university to volunteer for a shared cause.
- 1000 hours from Aug 2020 to June 2022 founding, building, and driving my own nonprofit. We're 501c3 exempt and have raised enough funding to operate for another year. We distribute meals to food pantries across 3 states. We’ve distributed over 1000 meals so far, and I will continue distributions until matriculation. This was really hard but we honestly took a stab at food insecurity during COVID and I couldn't be happier. I loved leading my team through the logistics of our nonprofit as well as connecting with the people we distribute our meals to. Might be my most unique and meaningful experience.

Honors/Awards
- 1 provisional patent. Comfortable remodeling helmets for babies experiencing plagiocephaly.

Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
- 430 hours across 3 semesters - Private Tutoring. Tutored students in multiple science and introductory engineering courses. I really enjoyed working one-on-one with students and personalizing their study methods and my teaching style. I had a few students who I worked with for multiple semesters, and it was really special for me to watch them grow more knowledgeable, confident, and passionate about their academics.
- 440 hours across 2.5 years - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Cellular Biology and Organic Chemistry. I had a huge leadership role in and out of the classroom. I led the weekly labs alongside another TA, and collaborated with professors at the end of each semester to improve the course using student feedback. Really enjoyed teaching and improving courses that I was very passionate about.
- 75 hours in 1 semester - General Chemistry TA / mentor for freshmen at my university. Role mixed teaching recitations with acting as an all-things-college mentor for 20 freshmen. Was my first experience as a TA, and sparked my love for mentorship and teaching.

Non-Clinical Employment
- 2400 hours working full time in Quality Control - drug manufacturing at UMass Medical School. Benchwork heavy job, performed bioassays on raw and final gene therapy drug products. My first job out of college, It was really interesting to work behind the scenes of drug development and manufacturing.
- I will be starting a new job in August, working full time at the world’s largest EHR company. My job would be building the software to match the requirements of physicians, PAs, and nurses in various hospital networks across the US. Really excited about this!

Hobbies
- I’m really into playing guitar and songwriting, currently teaching myself how to play the piano and how to record my music.

Misc but important
- Took a course in college called Clinical Orthopedics: learned about clinical decision making in that field, surgeons lectured 1-2 times a week + we watched their subsequent surgeries. As part of the class, we attended Grand Rounds with the ortho residents every week. This course gave me a lot of exposure to the field, and felt somewhat like a pseudo-shadowing experience for me as I was able to watch surgeon’s perform live surgery and discuss cases with them.

This is a very general list I made based on MSAR. I’m not really sure how to cut it down, so please let me know if there are any that may not be worth applying to given my stats, ECs, demographics, etc. Also have a lot of state schools here, and am unsure of which schools are most OOS friendly. Thank you

Tentative school list
  1. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  2. Boston University School of Medicine
  3. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  4. Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
  5. Donald and Barbara Zucker School of MEdicine at Hofstra/Northwell
  6. Drexel University College of Medicine
  7. Duke University School of Medicine
  8. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  9. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  10. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  11. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  12. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  13. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  14. Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
  15. Medical College of Wisconsin
  16. New York Medical College
  17. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  18. Ohio State University College of Medicine
  19. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  20. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  21. Stanford University School of Medicine
  22. The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  23. Tufts University School of Medicine
  24. University of Chicago Division of the Biological SCiences The Pritzker School of Medicine
  25. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  26. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  27. University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  28. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
  29. SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
  30. State University of New York Upstate Medical University Alan and Marlene Norton College of Medicine
  31. Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  32. Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
  33. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
  34. University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
  35. University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
  36. University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
  37. University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
  38. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
  39. University of Colorado School of Medicine
  40. University of Massachusetts T.H. Chan School of Medicine
  41. University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  42. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
  43. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  44. California Northstate University College of Medicine
  45. California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
  46. Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
  47. Weill Cornell Medicine
  48. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  49. Yale School of Medicine
  50. University of Virginia School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

1. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  2. Boston University School of Medicine
  3. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  4. Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
  5. Donald and Barbara Zucker School of MEdicine at Hofstra/Northwell
  6. Duke University School of Medicine
  7. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  8. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  9. Georgetown University School of Medicine
  10. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  11. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  12. Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
  13. Medical College of Wisconsin
  14. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  15. Ohio State University College of Medicine
  16. The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  17. Tufts University School of Medicine
  18. University of Chicago Division of the Biological SCiences The Pritzker School of Medicine
  19. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  20. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  21. University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
  22. Quinnipiac
  23. Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  24. University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
  25. University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
  26. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
  27. University of Colorado School of Medicine
  28. University of Massachusetts T.H. Chan School of Medicine
  29. University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  30. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
  31. Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
  32. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  33. Yale School of Medicine
  34. University of Virginia School of Medicine
My list above. Keep the CT residency as Wisconsin does take higher stat OOS applicants.

You could add Iowa and South Florida.