School List Help (Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nBeeDee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am preparing to reapply for this cycle (MD and DO) after applying only to MD schools and getting 2 interviews and no acceptances.

Here are my stats:
3.6 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 32Q (balanced), Virginia Resident

EC’s:
Plenty of shadowing, medical volunteering, and research, all of which I have continued since applying last year. I don’t believe my ECs or stats were to blame for not getting in, but rather where I applied and my personal statement, which of course I am changing.

I would like some help evaluating my school list because I think I applied too top heavy for my stats and not broad enough last cycle. My new list below was made using the MSAR and my experiences applying to schools last year. I would appreciate any suggestions on cutting schools which have any strange admissions policies which I don’t qualify or other reasons and suggestions to add any schools which I haven’t thought about. I am shooting for about 30 MD schools and 10 DO. This may seem like a lot of schools to some, but as re-applicants know it sucks not to get in and I want to maximize my chances for this year. The app fees are going to hurt my bank account, but it will hopefully be worth it in the end.

MD List:
Arizona
Georgetown
FIU
USUHS
Maryland
Oakland
St. Louis
Creighton
Hofstra
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Cooper Rowan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Drexel
Commonwealth
Penn State
Temple
Vermont
EVMS
Virginia Tech
VCU
West Virginia

Maybe Apply MD List
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Syracuse
Tulane
Rochester
Wisconsin
GWU
Loyola
Jefferson
Tufts
USC
Louisville
Arizona
Iowa
Kentucky
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Wake Forest

I also will be applying to DO schools this cycle (and I was dumb not to apply last year). I would like to apply to VCOM and WVUSOM, however I do not have an LOR from a DO which they require. Would it be worth more shadowing to get a DO letter and apply to these schools later in the cycle? Or should I be ok with my current list? I would like to apply to 8-10 total.

DO List:
PCOM
DMU
KCUMB-COM
NSU-COM
CCOM
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Maybe Apply DO List
KCOM
OHCOM
UNECOM
LMU
WesternU (CA)
(VCOM, WVUSOM, LECOM, LECOM-B) – require DO LOR

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to reapply for this cycle (MD and DO) after applying only to MD schools and getting 2 interviews and no acceptances.

Here are my stats:

EC's:
Plenty of shadowing, medical volunteering, and research, all of which I have continued since applying last year. I don't believe my ECs or stats were to blame for not getting in, but rather where I applied and my personal statement, which of course I am changing.

I would like some help evaluating my school list because I think I applied too top heavy for my stats and not broad enough last cycle. My new list below was made using the MSAR and my experiences applying to schools last year. I would appreciate any suggestions on cutting schools which have any strange admissions policies which I don't qualify or other reasons and suggestions to add any schools which I haven't thought about. I am shooting for about 30 MD schools and 10 DO. This may seem like a lot of schools to some, but as re-applicants know it sucks not to get in and I want to maximize my chances for this year. The app fees are going to hurt my bank account, but it will hopefully be worth it in the end.

MD List:
Arizona
Georgetown
FIU
USUHS
Maryland
Oakland
St. Louis
Creighton
Hofstra
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Cooper Rowan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Drexel
Commonwealth
Penn State
Temple
Vermont
EVMS
Virginia Tech
VCU
West Virginia

Maybe Apply MD List
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Syracuse
Tulane
Rochester
Wisconsin
GWU
Loyola
Jefferson
Tufts
USC
Louisville
Arizona
Iowa
Kentucky
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Wake Forest

I also will be applying to DO schools this cycle (and I was dumb not to apply last year). I would like to apply to VCOM and WVUSOM, however I do not have an LOR from a DO which they require. Would it be worth more shadowing to get a DO letter and apply to these schools later in the cycle? Or should I be ok with my current list? I would like to apply to 8-10 total.

DO List:
PCOM
DMU
KCUMB-COM
NSU-COM
CCOM
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Maybe Apply DO List
KCOM
OHCOM
UNECOM
LMU
WesternU (CA)
dont bother with Wisconsin, your stats are not impressive enough for OOS. also the SUNYs have a pretty low OOS acceptance rate I believe.

Hi everyone,

Here are my stats:

EC's:
Plenty of shadowing, medical volunteering, and research, all of which I have continued since applying last year. I don't believe my ECs or stats were to blame for not getting in, but rather where I applied and my personal statement, which of course I am changing.

I would like some help evaluating my school list because I think I applied too top heavy for my stats and not broad enough last cycle. My new list below was made using the MSAR and my experiences applying to schools last year. I would appreciate any suggestions on cutting schools which have any strange admissions policies which I don't qualify or other reasons and suggestions to add any schools which I haven't thought about. I am shooting for about 30 MD schools and 10 DO. This may seem like a lot of schools to some, but as re-applicants know it sucks not to get in and I want to maximize my chances for this year. The app fees are going to hurt my bank account, but it will hopefully be worth it in the end.

MD List:
Arizona
Georgetown
FIU
USUHS
Maryland
Oakland
St. Louis
Creighton
Hofstra
Albany
NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
Cooper Rowan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Drexel
Commonwealth
Penn State
Temple
Vermont
EVMS
Virginia Tech
VCU
West Virginia

Maybe Apply MD List
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Syracuse
Tulane
Rochester
Wisconsin
GWU
Loyola
Jefferson
Tufts
USC
Louisville
Arizona
Iowa
Kentucky
Wayne State
Albert Einstein
Wake Forest

DO List:
PCOM
DMU
KCUMB-COM
NSU-COM
CCOM
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Maybe Apply DO List
KCOM
OHCOM
UNECOM
LMU
WesternU (CA)

I would suggest replacing FIU with another school unless you have ties to Florida
This is one of the prompts from last year:
Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

Their OOS acceptance rate is low and CoA is $93,000 a year

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
dont bother with Wisconsin, your stats are not impressive enough for OOS. also the SUNYs have a pretty low OOS acceptance rate I believe.

Yeah I figured as much, I'll axe 'sconsin from the maybes and check into the SUNYs acceptance rates. I thought because I am in the east, maybe the SUNYs will give me a shot. Thanks!

I would suggest replacing FIU with another school unless you have ties to Florida
This is one of the prompts from last year:
Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

Their OOS acceptance rate is low and CoA is $93,000 a year

Yeah I really don't have any ties to Florida, let alone South Florida. That looks like a problem... I put them on because they were a newer school and are increasing their class size, but eff that tuition. Would you happen to know if you can get IS tuition for years 2-4 in Florida? Thanks for the help!

Yeah I figured as much, I'll axe 'sconsin from the maybes and check into the SUNYs acceptance rates. I thought because I am in the east, maybe the SUNYs will give me a shot. Thanks!

Yeah I really don't have any ties to Florida, let alone South Florida. That looks like a problem... I put them on because they were a newer school and are increasing their class size, but eff that tuition. Would you happen to know if you can get IS tuition for years 2-4 in Florida? Thanks for the help!

As far as I know, there is no such thing as in-state tuition after 2-4 years in Florida. At least that's what they told me when I called. If you have good community service ECs, try Cooper in New Jersey.

edit: just saw you already had Cooper.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as in-state tuition after 2-4 years in Florida. At least that's what they told me when I called. If you have good community service ECs, try Cooper in New Jersey.

edit: just saw you already had Cooper.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I'll take them off my list.

Day-before-AMCAS-opening bump for any additional insight!

I have similar stats to you...if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply last year? How many schools did you apply to? Good luck on the upcoming cycle!

I have similar stats to you...if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply last year? How many schools did you apply to? Good luck on the upcoming cycle!

Not at all. I applied to about 15 MD schools last year and was complete at all of them (secondaries submitted, LORs in, etc.) from early to middle August. In retrospect, I believe I applied to too many reaches and had lots of problems in my primary application, specifically the personal statement but also the experiences section. I think I have fixed all that and will apply more broadly to schools in my range. Thanks for the support and if you are applying this cycle, good luck to you too!