School list: Mid-tier programs strong in cancer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z-Dimension

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m working on my school list and I am looking for more programs to add, I'm trying to apply to at least 20. I understand that I am likely not a top-tier applicant, so "reasonable" mid-tier suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

My stats:
Research:
  • 4,100 hrs of research in a neurochemistry lab, likely staying after graduation
  • Several presentations, but no pubs cuz of covid
  • Senior thesis in biochem/cancer bio (no wetlab work)
Hours:
  • 120 hrs shadowing
  • 150 hrs clinical vol.
  • 1500 hrs paid clinical
  • 100 hrs non-clinical vol.
  • 2000 hrs paid non-clinical work

I currently do neurochem research and looking at brain microenvironment. I'd love to do my phd in the tumor microenvironment, looking how various components affect tumor growth. I already have a list started (alphabetically), minimal preference on geography for now:

Alabama
Case Western
Colorado
Iowa
Maryland
Minnesota
McGovern
Ohio State
Uni Illinois Chicago
Utah

Reach schools: Baylor, Emory, UCSD, UCSF, Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd definitely apply to University of Pittsburgh, UT Southwestern, and University of North Carolina

Reactions: 1 user
Would also throw in UT Health San Antonio (i.e. South Texas MSTP).

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson, since you should populate your list with a few good non-MSTP anyways

Reactions: 1 users
VCU's a decent low-mid tier too, good F30 funding rate, non-MSTP, decent cancer research through the Massey Cancer Center

Cancer Biology is a very broad field so almost all research areas can in some way be applied towards cancer and whatever strengths your institution might have you could probably find a niche somewhere with great PIs for training. In general somewhere with a major research cancer center is going to have a high concentration of cancer researchers but cancer bio is everywhere.

I’d say look at PIs you could see yourself working with in particular and think about that and your research interests more than if it’s specifically strong in cancer bio though. If you go on to become an X type of oncologist you will certainly eventually be highly trained in cancer bio and treatment

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it. I’m definitely getting much closer to 20 schools now.

@Lucca (or whoever can answer), so I found this list of NCI Cancer Centers in the US and I’m trying to match them up with specific programs. I am curious; let’s say that city X has both a Cancer Center as well as an MD/PhD program. Is it safe to assume that they are affiliated, and that MD/PhD students will have access to PIs in the cancer center for their PhD?

whatever strengths your institution might have you could probably find a niche somewhere with great PIs for training

Also, re: this part of your comment, is there a simpler way to determine if a school has research in our “niche” without clicking/reading through the bios of literally every PI in the appropriate department?

is there a simpler way to determine if a school has research in our “niche” without clicking/reading through the bios of literally every PI in the appropriate department?
You can try searching for all the funded projects on a particular topic of your interest on NIH reporter and see where most highly funded PIs are located. You can also filter by state, institution, department, etc.

RePORT 〉 RePORTER

Cancer research is so ubiquitous that I think you'll struggle to find programs that are "weak" on cancer. In general, good research programs have good cancer research, and mid-tier programs have some good labs and some not so good labs. MD/PhDs are typically not committed to a particular PhD program, so your selection is pretty wide anywhere. It doesn't sound like you have a particular laser focus on one specific topic right now. Focus on going to as strong a program as you can, both clinically and research-wise, and apply broadly.