School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirby123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I based most of my school choices on GPA and DAT score (on the lower end). And I couldn't include some of the more popular schools on the list because they won't accept my AP Calculus credit as a prereq.

cGPA 3.73
sGPA 3.74 (upwards trend)
AA 19/TS 19/ Bio 19/ GC 20/ OC 19/PA 20/ QR 17

About 250 hours shadowing ortho, 500+ shadowing a general dentist, and i've been working as a dental assistant (without extended functions certificate) for almost a year.I volunteer doing research at the VA and as a receptionist/dental assistant at a homeless shelter. Involved in several clubs at school.I've received a writing award from my bio program and was a top 4 finalist for the alumni award in 2016.
I'm also a florida resident.

Updated list:

UF
NOVA*
LECOM*
Maryland
VCU
Nevada
Boston*
Louisville
Kentucky
MWU-AZ*
W VA
NE*
Missouri KC
Temple*
Case*

Original List:
E Carol*
Midwestern Illinois*
Arizona
Kentucky
Missouri
LECOM*
Louisville*
Tennessee
Georgia
NOVA
UF
Midwestern Arizona
Case
Roseman*

*Asterisks = private school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
East Carolina doesn't even accept OOS students, so take them off. Add Maryland and Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
East Carolina doesn't even accept OOS students, so take them off. Add Maryland and Temple.

I vote JLT223 as one of the best advisors here.:nod:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! I can't add Temple because they won't accept AP credits. Also, what do you think my chances are with these stats?

I had AP Calculus credits and it was never an issue. Usually, they're only an issue if it's biology, chemistry, or physics, or maybe English. Add on the places you took off

Thanks! I can't add Temple because they won't accept AP credits. Also, what do you think my chances are with these stats?
I'd say you have a nice shot if you apply broadly; your DAT isn't bad at all and your GPA is awesome. Are you just trying to use the AP Calc credit as a standard math credit or specifically as a calc pre-req? I don't remember Temple's pre-reqs at all but most schools don't require calculus. I've never heard of it being an issue.

I'd say you have a nice shot if you apply broadly; your DAT isn't bad at all and your GPA is awesome. Are you just trying to use the AP Calc credit as a standard math credit or specifically as a calc pre-req? I don't remember Temple's pre-reqs at all but most schools don't require calculus. I've never heard of it being an issue.

I was trying to use it as a calc pre-req. remember my advisor telling me that Calculus 1 and Calc 2/Stats was required for dental school, but I may be wrong!

I was trying to use it as a calc pre-req. remember my advisor telling me that Calculus 1 and Calc 2/Stats was required for dental school, but I may be wrong!
Absolutely not true, every school is different. Add those schools to your list like @hellofuturedentists said and/or call them and ask for their math pre-req requirements (if any).

I had AP Calculus credits and it was never an issue. Usually, they're only an issue if it's biology, chemistry, or physics, or maybe English. Add on the places you took off

Really?! Awesome, I avoided adding a lot of schools to the list because of this. This opens up a lot more options for me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Absolutely not true, every school is different. Add those schools to your list like @hellofuturedentists said and/or call them and ask for their math pre-req requirements (if any).

Would you recommend me replacing some schools from my list with "safety schools" with lower stats? I was looking at Howard, W Va, New England, Meharry, and Creighton for this.. Or should I stick to schools closer to my DAT score and GPA?

Would you recommend me replacing some schools from my list with "safety schools" with lower stats? I was looking at Howard, W Va, New England, Meharry, and Creighton for this.. Or should I stick to schools closer to my DAT score and GPA?
Only add Howard and Meharry if you are an URM. Your school list seems pretty good I think (if you add Temple and Maryland). I'd also consider a few more. West Virginia is also pretty strict about OOS. Consider adding NYU (I know, the cost) and possibly Touro (since it's new).

Thank you so much @JLT223 you've been a big help!! I'm still open to more suggestions if anyone has some. :)

Really?! Awesome, I avoided adding a lot of schools to the list because of this. This opens up a lot more options for me. Do you have any other suggestions?
You can probably take off some of those private schools if they were just going to be safety schools. Replace them with schools in places you'd actually want to live. You're from Florida. If you don't want the cold, don't add schools in the north like Temple lol. If you are ok with the colder weather, maybe add Temple, Pittsburgh, and VCU. If not, maybe add Alabama and keep Louisville

Members don't see this ad :)
You can probably take off some of those private schools if they were just going to be safety schools. Replace them with schools in places you'd actually want to live. You're from Florida. If you don't want the cold, don't add schools in the north like Temple lol. If you are ok with the colder weather, maybe add Temple, Pittsburgh, and VCU. If not, maybe add Alabama and keep Louisville

Many of those private schools were safety schools lol. I would honestly go to any state regardless of the weather if I had no choice. I really want to get in this cycle.

Many of those private schools were safety schools lol. I would honestly go to any state regardless of the weather if I had no choice. I really want to get in this cycle.
Well your application looks pretty good, so look at the ADEA guide or doc toothache's guide and find some places that are nice to OOS applicants and pick those! Or maybe @JLT223 will just make a school list for you lol

Well your application looks pretty good, so look at the ADEA guide or doc toothache's guide and find some places that are nice to OOS applicants and pick those! Or maybe @JLT223 will just make a school list for you lol

Haha, hey! I chose my schools based on both of those resources, this was just a double check. I can't expect you guys to do everything for me lol. Sorry for all the questions, I don't have a pre health advisor at my small state college.

Haha, hey! I chose my schools based on both of those resources, this was just a double check. I can't expect you guys to do everything for me lol. Sorry for all the questions, I don't have a pre health advisor at my small state college.
Lol I wasn't trying to be rude. I just chose where I applied based on location and tuition. I'm not good at picking schools for other people. I just pop in and correct inaccurate info if I see it :)

Lol I wasn't trying to be rude. I just chose where I applied based on location and tuition. I'm not good at picking schools for other people. I just pop in and correct inaccurate info if I see it :)

Yeah! No worries I wasn't offended haha, thank you again!

I think it's solid

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/help-reduce-my-school-list-please.1141074/#post-16547003

According to this thread... it seems as though Temple does indeed accept AP credits!
Someone posted: "It is possible that some of the data is wrong because I called Temple two times to make sure that they accept IB/AP credits. They said they do."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/help-reduce-my-school-list-please.1141074/#post-16547003

According to this thread... it seems as though Temple does indeed accept AP credits!
Someone posted: "It is possible that some of the data is wrong because I called Temple two times to make sure that they accept IB/AP credits. They said they do."

Thank you! I took a closer look at the ADEA handbook and calculus was not a prerequisite for Temple. I think I only came across it once when I was looking at Boston :)

Thank you! I took a closer look at the ADEA handbook and calculus was not a prerequisite for Temple. I think I only came across it once when I was looking at Boston :)

I emailed them about AP English credits just incase :)

I suggest making an excel sheet of what the schools all require....types of LORs, certain classes, etc. By doing that you can check off which schools you have all of this stuff for, and then apply to the schools. Definitely make sure you will have the classes done by the time you are done with undergrad. No exceptions will be made same with the letters. If you don't have a letter from a nonscience professor and they require it; they will not take you.

Selecting schools takes diligence.