This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballfan46

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought Id ask for some opinions on my current school list and stats. Currently have my application verified through AACOMAS, My Undergrad GPA: 3.6, Undergrad Science GPA: 3.3 and Postbac GPA: 4.0. I am URM and currently reside in Arizona. Have 800+ hours of clinical experience through my respiratory therapy program along with 500+ hours of medical assistant experience. Along with other volunteering here and there. I take my mcat on September 8th but have been averaging 505 on FL exams. My school list consists of..
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic
Medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
PCOM South Georgia
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine-Colorado/Utah
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California
University of Pikeville–Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest

Members don't see this ad.

Thought Id ask for some opinions on my current school list and stats. Currently have my application verified through AACOMAS, My Undergrad GPA: 3.6, Undergrad Science GPA: 3.3 and Postbac GPA: 4.0. I am URM and currently reside in Arizona. Have 800+ hours of clinical experience through my respiratory therapy program along with 500+ hours of medical assistant experience. Along with other volunteering here and there. I take my mcat on September 8th but have been averaging 505 on FL exams. My school list consists of..
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic
Medicine
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
PCOM South Georgia
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine-Colorado/Utah
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California
University of Pikeville–Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest
You are competitive for all DO schools assuming you score ~505 on your MCAT like you have been on the FLs. You should apply to your state MD schools too. Unless you like the school, I would avoid the new ones like ICOM. Be aware of Ohio U’s 5-year commitment of medical practice in OH.

Reactions: 1 users
You are competitive for all DO schools assuming you score ~505 on your MCAT like you have been on the FLs. You should apply to your state MD schools too. Unless you like the school, I would avoid the new ones like ICOM. Be aware of Ohio U’s 5-year commitment of medical practice in OH.
Thank you for your feedback, I would like to apply to MD state schools but by the time my test date rolls around It will be too late in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you break 505 you should cut this list in half and add MD programs.

Reactions: 1 users
If you break 505 you should cut this list in half and add MD programs.
My test date is not until September 8th, which puts me too far along in the cycle for MD programs, but I dont mind applying DO since Anesthesiology is DO friendly, plus I dont mind IM if it came down to it. Will I be competitive applicant? I have strong LOR from DO, MD, Program Director and a science Instructor.

My test date is not until September 8th, which puts me too far along in the cycle for MD programs, but I dont mind applying DO since Anesthesiology is DO friendly, plus I dont mind IM if it came down to it. Will I be competitive applicant? I have strong LOR from DO, MD, Program Director and a science Instructor.
What if you realize during rotations that you want to pursue a specialty that isn’t so DO-friendly?

With no MCAT it’s hard to recommend MD, even so I mention a 505 to cut that DO list up and apply MD heavily.
Obviously we all want MD as it’s the path of least resistance for specialty but sometimes it’s ilogical u less you are highly determined for derm... even then I would argue that derm is going to be tricky if you can’t get into MD because of MCAT or science GPA but that’s a different debate

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't hurt to apply, especially in Arizona and being URM. Tuition would be much cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
With no MCAT it’s hard to recommend MD, even so I mention a 505 to cut that DO list up and apply MD heavily.
Obviously we all want MD as it’s the path of least resistance for specialty but sometimes it’s ilogical u less you are highly determined for derm... even then I would argue that derm is going to be tricky if you can’t get into MD because of MCAT or science GPA but that’s a different debate
Currently work for a dermatology office in which they take residents. The owner of the practice is a DO, so that may be an option in the future, butI figured depending on how well I do on my mcat I will specifically apply to DO or if I do well I’ll wait till next application cycle and apply early to MD and DO.

It doesn't hurt to apply, especially in Arizona and being URM. Tuition would be much cheaper
Think I will throw UofA phoenix campus an application since the deadline falls a few weeks after my score becomes available to me for my mcat.