School of Medicine, Medical School, Medical College, College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gostudy

Black covfefe. No sugar, no cream
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depakote said:
if you go to one, they harvest your organs for dissection, but they won't tell you which...

:scared:

seriously, no dif.

LOL :)

There is a difference, actually, although its really behind the scenes and it doesn't make a difference to the students.

A school is generally headed by a Director. It is larger than a department (which is headed by a Chair). Larger than a school is a college, which is headed by a Dean. Whether something is a department or a school or a college depends on enrollment and funding and size of the faculty, etc. It usually goes Departments are in Schools which are in Colleges which are in Universities.

I say usually because sometimes there really is no difference and its just a name, and I think this is more likely for medical schools, which don't seem to fit the pattern. However, they may decide if its called School of Medicine or College of Medicine based on the same factors above, namely the size of the department.

At my school, though, our Computer Science department used to be just a department in the College of Engineering and Computer Science, but it grew so big (students majoring in it, faculty teaching it) that they made it into the School of Computer Science.

gostudy said:
What's the difference?

Like everyone else has said, there is no real significance. However, the term "College of Medicine" or "Medical College" are used to distinguish some schools as indepenent of a major university.

for example: Baylor "College of Medicine" , New York "Medical College", "Medical College" of Georgia, etc.

Whereas big universities Medical schools refer to them as a school within a larger academic umbrella:
e.g. Feinberg School of Medicince (Norwestern), Keck School of Medicine (USC), Geffen School of Medicine (UCLA---damn Hollywood always wants to stick their nose in everything), Pitzer School of Medicine (U. Chicago), etc...

whoops...I guess I did not read everyone's response...ok I lied...I only read the first 2! :D :D :p