School Prestige Important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raisins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the "prestige" of your medical school play a role in obtaining any/a more competitive residency? Obviously it is a very subjective, but I would appreciate any thoughts. (Not trying to be a jerk) I am at a school traditionally considered to be in the top 10 (WashU), and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the "prestige" of your medical school play a role in obtaining any/a more competitive residency? Obviously it is a very subjective, but I would appreciate any thoughts. (Not trying to be a jerk) I am at a school traditionally considered to be in the top 10 (WashU), and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks.

It can only help.

WashU is a "top10" med school? Is that kinda like how there are 40 "top20" anesthesia programs?
I don't mean to be a jerk either, I just wouldn't have expected that.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as name branding, what only matters is what the public thinks. Fortunately, in this business, you won't have to deal much with that. So, for John Q. Public, if it doesn't have "Harvard" or "Mayo" or "Hopkins" or maybe "Duke" or "Stanford" or "Columbia" in it, no one really cares. (Sorry, WashU... and Penn... and Cornell... and any other med program that thinks it's the shiznit).

For everything else, who gives a crap unless you're planning on going into academic medicine or trying to impress some purportedly "top tier" future employer who'd rather hire a stuck-up jackass than you because he's a pedigree snob. Ever hang around with a bunch of these folks? Man, talk about a drag! Everyone always trying to prove who's intellectual penis is bigger. Give me Jet and Venty and Noyac anyday of the week over some Ivy League douchebag.

-copro

WashU is a "top10" med school? Is that kinda like how there are 40 "top20" anesthesia programs?
I don't mean to be a jerk either, I just wouldn't have expected that.

Not that it matters, but WashU has been ranked in the top 5 for the past 30+ years, being as high as #2 for a couple years.

How much does the "prestige" of your residency program factor into getting you job offers/fellowships? Most of us are struggling right now to create our rank lists. Some things to consider are that some "top" programs are in undesirable locations (hince the "strength of program vs location thread"). So, how much does it matter the amount of "name recognition" that our residency program has. Particularly for those of us who may end up in a totally different region than the one we plan to settle down in?

Thanks in advance:)

Not that it matters, but WashU has been ranked in the top 5 for the past 30+ years, being as high as #2 for a couple years.

that's cool. I guess it's true what the previous person said about how if it isn't harvard, yale, hopkins, columbia, etc., the name might not register to the average person, regardless of how good the school is.

Just as the quality of your undergraduate University affects the competitiveness of your Medical School application, the quality of your medical school affects the competitiveness of your residency application. However, ultimately your board scores certainly have a higher weight in the ranking process. After all a 240 from Harvard is the same as a 240 from the worst medical school in the country. You would still be considered a superior applicant with the knowledge you need to excell in any program. However all else being equal who do you think that the selection committee will give the nod to. I know that Stanford ranks your medical school as part of its scoring of applicants for anesthesia residency positions.
Have you read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=478388 ?
Regarding post residency competitiveness for jobs, if you are certain that you want to live in a particular area of the country you would probably increase your likelyhood of finding a job there by attending the best residency program that you could in the region, unless you can match at an elite program with national name recognition. Why? Because your future employers/partners will be personally familiar with graduates of your residency program, if not graduates themselves.
But don't listen to me, I apparently am a D-Bag, doubly so?:laugh:
Regards.

Well, the fact that your post up to this point stood on it's own, yet you still felt the need to make this point at the end of it, kinda proves what I'm saying. Would you be surprised if I told you I have a personal basis for this opinion?

-copro

Well, the fact that your post up to this point stood on it's own, yet you still felt the need to make this point at the end of it, kinda proves what I'm saying. Would you be surprised if I told you I have a personal basis for this opinion?

-copro
Copro,
The point simply was that I know what I am talking about, nothing more sinister or self serving. There are many well known Ivy bred disasters roaming around (a certain president comes to mind;)). Not to mention legacy admissions with their "gentleman's Cs" that really have no place there on their own. I was only trying to help the original poster and poke a bit of fun at your previous post denigrating all Ivy alumni as "stuck up jackasses". The fact is that pedigree will open doors for you. You will get an interview where others will not. You may not get the job and you will not get a better offer, but you will get an interview just because you have Harvard School of Medicine or a Mass General residency on your CV. This bias will likely decrease as ones career goes on. I will not deny however that an elite degree is definitely overrated. That being said, if my children want to attend an Ivy university, I will happily pony up the tuition.
For what it's worth, few people I work with know where I went to school and I don't go around wearing an obnoxious school ring (like many of my former "ring tapper" collegues from Annapolis). So perhaps I am not much of a jackass afterall.
Isn't this just an extension of the endless public vs private debate?
:love:

Just as the quality of your undergraduate University affects the competitiveness of your Medical School application, the quality of your medical school affects the competitiveness of your residency application. However, ultimately your board scores certainly have a higher weight in the ranking process. After all a 240 from Harvard is the same as a 240 from the worst medical school in the country. You would still be considered a superior applicant with the knowledge you need to excell in any program. However all else being equal who do you think that the selection committee will give the nod to. I know that Stanford ranks your medical school as part of its scoring of applicants for anesthesia residency positions.
Have you read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=478388 ?
Regarding post residency competitiveness for jobs, if you are certain that you want to live in a particular area of the country you would probably increase your likelyhood of finding a job there by attending the best residency program that you could in the region, unless you can match at an elite program with national name recognition. Why? Because your future employers/partners will be personally familiar with graduates of your residency program, if not graduates themselves.
Regards.

Thanks. This was helpful.:)

Copro,
The point simply was that I know what I am talking about, nothing more sinister or self serving. There are many well known Ivy bred disasters roaming around (a certain president comes to mind;)). Not to mention legacy admissions with their "gentleman's Cs" that really have no place there on their own. I was only trying to help the original poster and poke a bit of fun at your previous post denigrating all Ivy alumni as "stuck up jackasses". The fact is that pedigree will open doors for you. You will get an interview where others will not. You may not get the job and you will not get a better offer, but you will get an interview just because you have Harvard School of Medicine or a Mass General residency on your CV. This bias will likely decrease as ones career goes on. I will not deny however that an elite degree is definitely overrated. That being said, if my children want to attend an Ivy university, I will happily pony up the tuition.
For what it's worth, few people I work with know where I went to school and I don't go around wearing an obnoxious school ring (like many of my former "ring tapper" collegues from Annapolis). So perhaps I am not much of a jackass afterall.
Isn't this just an extension of the endless public vs private debate?
:love:

No problems, dude. I appreciate this post. I have no animosity towards anyone except some who think they're inherently better, smarter, brighter, more entitled, etc. just because of their pedigree... and there are a lot in that ilk. But, your post at least proves they're not all jackassess. :)

I recognize what you're saying too, and I think it's relevant and real out there. Fact is, most other professionals, and certainly you've interacted with a lot of them, just don't care and are quite content getting the scattered crumbs and leftovers out there and, with them, carving out quite a fat and fruitful existence. Aside from what I said above about the public's perception, those who count and work with one another on a day-to-day basis are ultimately not gonna be impressed by people who are all that self-impressed.

And, then again, there's the issues like this which calls all of it into question... this "entitlement" culture out there who believes that they've earned the right to be a prick...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/11/21/national/main318831.shtml?source=search_story

... which speaks for itself and is one of the ways leaguers justify their superiority.

-copro

Myself, self-skooled on the mean compton streets. Tested out of premed chemistry becuz of my crack-cooking mad skillz.

Some people have a reverse ivy bias. I would be much more likely to hire a original Kracker like Jet than a boring, ivy colored snob

WANNA TALK PRESTIGE, BABY???

I went to DA U.

Will be signing scrub shirts at The Clevelander around 4pm.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Myself, self-skooled on the mean compton streets. Tested out of premed chemistry becuz of my crack-cooking mad skillz.

Some people have a reverse ivy bias. I would be much more likely to hire a original Kracker like Jet than a boring, ivy colored snob

WOW!

original Kracka.......man I kinda like that, Dre! Time for a dippa Cop before 1415 C section.....