This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missy8409

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently debating between attending Oregon State University and Colorado State University for vet school. I love both schools, but CSU is much more expensive for out of state students than OSU (almost a 10-12,000$ difference a year). I also would love to live in Oregon and have visited many times! However, I know CSU is a top veterinary school, while OSU is ranked much lower. I suppose my questions is this: does ranking of a school matter? Would attending a top ranked school give more job, internship, and residency opportunities? Is it worth the money in the long run? I do have an interest in specializing in Ophthalmology (which CSU offers and OSU doesn’t). Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Rank does not matter. You will get an equally good education at either school. One just costs $50k more for a piece of paper. And that’s BEFORE 7% interest. Yearly.
You will have the same opportunities for internships and residencies. Grades and networking matter way more than where your piece of paper came from. Don’t put yourself in far more debt just to go to a “better ranked school”

Reactions: 12 users
Hello! I am currently debating between attending Oregon State University and Colorado State University for vet school. I love both schools, but CSU is much more expensive for out of state students than OSU (almost a 10-12,000$ difference a year). I also would love to live in Oregon and have visited many times! However, I know CSU is a top veterinary school, while OSU is ranked much lower. I suppose my questions is this: does ranking of a school matter? Would attending a top ranked school give more job, internship, and residency opportunities? Is it worth the money in the long run? I do have an interest in specializing in Ophthalmology (which CSU offers and OSU doesn’t). Thank you all!
Rankings do not matter at all. Experience, letters of reference, and grades matter much more for internship/residency opportunities. If I remember correctly the published rankings aren't based on things that indicate quality of education, but more on research/publications and some polled opinions.
Go to the cheapest school, it will serve you much much better in the long run

Reactions: 6 users
Rankings do not matter at all. Experience, letters of reference, and grades matter much more for internship/residency opportunities. If I remember correctly the published rankings aren't based on things that indicate quality of education, but more on research/publications and some polled opinions.
Go to the cheapest school, it will serve you much much better in the long run
Thank you so much for this!

Reactions: 1 user
Rank does not matter. You will get an equally good education at either school. One just costs $50k more for a piece of paper. And that’s BEFORE 7% interest. Yearly.
You will have the same opportunities for internships and residencies. Grades and networking matter way more than where your piece of paper came from. Don’t put yourself in far more debt just to go to a “better ranked school”
Thank you, this really helps!

Reactions: 1 users