School rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Question 1: Does anyone know where I can get a list of schools with rankings of thier clinic, exam prep.....?

Question2: What are the top 3 schools in your opinion and why?

thank you and see u in Dental school, and may all the pre-med student who try to use dental school as an avenue to medicine, rot in hell.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental scchools are not officially ranked. You might be able to dig up how the students do on the NDBE's from each school, but I have been unsuccessful getting the list and frankly do not care anymore.

And naming the best 3 schools will invite a flood of posters that will go back and forth, throwing opinions disguised as facts for days.

Having said that, my top 3 are: UoP, UCSF, UCLA. My #1 (UoP) is because its 3 years, close to home, heavy in clinical and the students are the happiest I've talked to from any school. They treat the students really well (at that price, they aught to!)

Other great schools are Columbia, UConn, Harvard, USC, UPenn and many others.

Don't flame me if I forgot your top pick!!!!!!

I found the following when I did a google search for dental school rankings. I wonder if any1 has a table of schools with their scores on the boards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How are Dental Schools ranked, and how could I get more information about the rankings?

Thanks for the question on our Ask the Dentist Web site regarding the ranking of Dental Schools. To my knowledge, there have only been two individuals or organizations that have ranked dental schools; US News and World Report in 1993 and The Gourman Report on a periodic basis. Both organizations have multple flaws in the methodology of ranking the schools.

The major problem is that the rankings were based on the perception of Deans, administrators, faculty and others about the relative quality of the schools and not on any objective criteria that compared "apples to apples". The dental schools complained bitterly to US News and as a result US News has discontinued ranking US dental schools. Parenthetically, the dental schools were given wide acclaim by our colleagues in higher education as being the only education enterprise that has stood up to US News. As you may know, rankings of all colleges and universities are under intense criticism by our colleagues in the higher education community.

Dominick P. DePaola, DDS, PhD
Former President
Baylor College of Dentistry
The Texas A&M University System

http://www.tambcd.edu/DentalCE/askdoc/html/school_rankings.html

Members don't see this ad :)
You can find the rankings online, there used to be a link running around here that had I think up to 2004 year rankings of schools...do a search?
My favorite schools or "top" would have to be UPENN, Columbia, and UF. Nova here I come...

We should be glad that dental schools aren't ranked anywhere. U.S. News and World report tried to rank them, but the schools got together and said they wouldn't have it. Why is it a good thing? Because it's a very faulty and unfair system in the first place. How do you rank a school? Well, you really can't. Some may say that you can rank schools according to exam scores, but in my opinion, exam scores are more a matter of which type of student each school chooses to accept (i.e. Harvard only chooses students who already score very well on standardized exams, therefore they have very good board scores). Rumor has it that MIT has some of the worst professors around, but it doesn't matter because the students are so smart they just teach themselves anyway! As another example of why schools shouldn't be ranked (dental or not) is the example of poor rankings of medical schools. The schools are ranked according to questionnaires sent out to the deans of the school (now that's not biased, is it??), by how much money the schools get for research, and by the hospitals attached to them. Nobody visits the classrooms, evaluates the teachers, or even enters the facilities in order to rank a school. Nobody talks to the students, visits the town, or checks the bathrooms. With this system, a school with the best teachers in the nation won't even rank if there isn't a hospital directly attached to the medical school. Rumor has it that MIT has some of the worst professors around, but it doesn't matter because the students are so smart they just teach themselves anyway!
From what I can tell from all these posts, it seems that some students like the newer schools, some the schools with the best facilities, some the schools with big names, some the schools close to home, or whatever fits them best. I think that this is the key. Different schools produce different types of dentists. Not good, not bad, just different. So instead of searching desperately for a ranking of schools (we all have done it at one point or another) look at a variety of schools, apply to a variety of schools, go where you get accepted, and if you are lucky enough to have a choice, choose wisely. For example, I would choose a "lower ranked" school over a "higher ranked" school if it were in an area where I would be more comfortable living. But that's just cause I'm a little older and have a family.
So to answer your question, why would you look at someone else’s list of school rankings when you can create your own?

There is definitely a best dental school in the country...its the one you attend.

Fat_Man said:
So to answer your question, why would you look at someone else’s list of school rankings when you can create your own?

I don't know I think there is some value to this question. I think it's lame when people bash on schools they don't want to go to, but I like to here reasons for why people want to attend the schools they've interviewed at or applied to. When you here these kinds of things you kinda can say to yourself, I feel the same way about a strong clinical school, or a school that helps people get in to specialty programs, or a school that's in a rural or urban environment. In the end it's up to you to do the homework and see if the reason someone is giving is regit, but I think it's nice to hear others reasoning.