School ratings??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

heather

Which osteopathic schools are the best? worst? Please reply.

Members don't see this ad.

You know, every so often some one posts a question like this. The thing is, there is no real rating system for Osteopathic schools. Of course there will be a few people out there who will insist that their school is the best and all the rest pale in comparison. Its up to you to take their comments seroiusly or not.
Now, you're probably not gonna like this, but if you are seroiusly interested in applying to a DO school, you'll have to do some research. I suggest you make a list of all the factors that are important to you when it comes to choosing a medical school and see which schools match up. Some important things to consider:

Location- The thought of spending at least the first two years of school out in the middle of rural america may not appeal to some.

Tuition- Some applicants are fortunate enough to have a public state school that they can consider applying to. Leaving medical school with half the debt may be worth considering.

Hospital Affiliations- Very important when it comes to your clinical years. Will you have to set up your own clerckships/preceptorships or does the school have some sort of established program. Its up to you what you prefer. But remember, when it comes to resedencies, a large hospital affliation on the part of your med school may help. A little name recognition never hurt anyone.

Class Size- Do you work better in small intimate classes or large bustling institutions. You may also want to consider the fact that in some labs the less people the better. But again, thats a personal preference.

I'm sure that there are a lot of other important factors. The point is, you have to choose the best school for you. You'll have too much time and money invested in the school you eventually attend not to.

Right- the best school is the one that fits your personal goals/lifestyle/needs/etc. Another factor when looking at DO schools is the emphasis on manipulation- I am going to a school that trains extensively in this area so that people will be comfortable using it in rotations/internships/residencies. But some people don't think they're going to use it in the "real world" and would prefer a school that doesn't empasize it as much. Do your research, ask around and just remember that your education is what you make of it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
From personal experience, I would definitely apply to TCOM and AZCOM. This is based strictly on my personal experience. if you have further questions on why i recommend these two, e-mail me.

all very good advice given..

one more thing to add:

RESEARCH BECOMING A DO before you apply..

too many applicants use DO schools as their "backup." this is OK..however, you must be fully aware of all that being a DO means--the good and not so good aspects.

osteopathy is still a "frontier" if you will and with that, there are still many unpleasant growing pains, politics, and just generally annoying issues to deal with.

however, i think that osteopathic training is solid.

good luck!