School selection (Low stats)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kreinstein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind some insight to either narrow down/widen the list of schools I am applying to. Just finished junior year. Low GPA (3.3 Overall, 3.0/3.1 science and BCP) however from a big name university in MI and very clear upward trend(Dean's list past 3 semesters). Taking DAT late June and shooting for the stars :xf:. 100+ shadowing hours with general dentists and an oral surgeon. Active pre-dental club member. Work throughout undergrad 15+ hours a week, promotion to student supervisor freshman year and held throughout. Letters received from my BIO 2 and Biochemistry professors (both very strong in my opinion, talked about what the content of their letters would be and seemed truly passionate in supporting my goals). Another one from one of the general dentists I shadowed and a fourth from the oral surgeon (again, comfortably assuming both will be very strong). I understand that I am not the best suited all around candidate, however very comfortable in an interview setting and I'm hoping to just receive that chance to prove myself. Also understand that the DAT is an extremely large factor and will play a role in which schools I eventually apply to/if I apply at all, but assuming I do well I would like to begin narrowing down the choices beforehand. With all of that being said here are the programs I've currently chosen on the AADSAS. I attempted to best balance the strategies of lower average stats/OOS friendly. Please tell me if I should remove a program or add one I might've overlooked.

Arizona
Boston
Case Western Reserve
Creighton
LECOM
Midwestern Arizona
Midwestern Illinois
New York University
Nova Southeastern
Roseman University
Temple
University of Colorado
Touro
Tufts
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Missouri
University of Nevada
University of New England
University of Pittsburgh
Western University

I am sadly well aware of how much this will cost, but also more cognizant of my situation being not the most competitive. I really appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Still looking for at least one or two more opinions! Thanks everyone

Still looking for at least one or two more opinions! Thanks everyone
I would take out Colorado unless you're a resident as I'm pretty sure they're very OOS unfriendly. Also consider taking out Kentucky, as they're pretty OOS unfriendly as well, although they do take some OOS but still not worth the shot imo. Add USC, since you already have Western so I'm assuming you wouldn't mind going to Cali and since you already have NYU so you wouldn't mind the price. Consider adding Minnesota as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going off of what DentalNucleic said, I would remove Colorado and Kentucky. They are "semi" OOS friendly and with your stats I don't see that high of a chance of an interview invite, but it is still possible and worth a shot if either of those are your dream school. Add USC and look into VCU.

Going off of what DentalNucleic said, I would remove Colorado and Kentucky. They are "semi" OOS friendly and with your stats I don't see that high of a chance of an interview invite, but it is still possible and worth a shot if either of those are your dream school. Add USC and look into VCU.

Is VCU OOS-friendly?

40% of VCU students are OOS

I have added VCU, USC, and Minnesota. I appreciate your input towards Colorado and Kentucky as well, I will consider them removed unless this DAT goes extremely well. Thank you so much everybody.

Rock that DAT and let us know how you fare so we can try to help. I'd say that will be a huge indicator of where you should apply so you don't end up wasting over another 1,000$ in the process. Best of luck on the DAT and the whole process!