School Selection Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voteknope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all!

Some people had asked me to post the spreadsheet I made to help me decide between schools!

I don't know if this will be helpful for anyone else, but it helped me organize my thoughts a little bit!

I'm posting a blank copy of my template. Obviously everyone will have their own factors to consider.

My process:
-Come up with an unnecessarily long list of factors that might possibly affect my decision
-Weight the factors 1-3 based on how important they are to me [1=least important, 3=most important, use 0 if N/A]
-Rank the schools (raw score) for how well they meet each criteria [-2 (bad), -1 (poor), 0 (eh/neutral), 1 (good), 2 (great)]
-Multiply the school score by the factor weight (weighted score)
-Create a final overall score for each school
-Compare schools!
-Profit?

Definitely looking for suggestions to improve it! This is just something I threw together for myself! :)

Anyway, hope it's helpful to someone! It's honestly probably excessive, but oh well!

(I believe you guys wanted to see it: @libertyyne @meep15 @protego and maybe others!)

EDIT 1: Changed scoring system
EDIT 2: Whoops, anonymity brb
EDITS 3 & 4: Excel template added, formatting changes

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Template School Selection.xls
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,812
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
TMW 3 of the 4 schools you're looking at are tied for 1st place :confused: haha, but thank you for this it was helpful!!!

Reactions: 1 user
EDIT 1: @Lawper suggested some good changes

Factor weight: 0 if N/A. 1-3 in importance
Raw score: -2 (bad), -1 (poor), 0 (eh/neutral), 1 (good), 2 (great)

Hopefully this helps! (Some of my schools are tied too haha)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT 2: Okay, so I was just informed that you can apparently see my name on the google sheet so I removed the link for now!
Will post it again when I figure out how to do this ahah

Last edited:
EDITS 3 & 4: New excel template with some additional formatting suggestions by @Lawper!

Attachments

• Template School Selection.xls
    131.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
This is great! I once stumbled upon a website that did this (for any general decision making), but this is better because it is tailored towards medical school decision making.

Reactions: 1 users
This is great! I once stumbled upon a website that did this (for any general decision making), but this is better because it is tailored towards medical school decision making.
I'm glad you like it!! It's definitely helping me think more logically about things! :)

I'm glad you like it!! It's definitely helping me think more logically about things! :)
I agree. It's easy to be biased by certain characteristics and not see the whole picture, but this definitely makes things a little bit more objective

I'm thinking whether the spreadsheet could be used for comparing between combined medical degree programs (MD/PhD, MD/MPH, MD/MBA etc.)
That's an interesting thought! I haven't personally considered any dual degrees so most of the factors I listed are pretty general to all MD programs, but I'm sure some of those question marks could be filled with factors that are more specific to those combined degrees.

3305164-A-sign-warning-of-a-bump-ahead-in-the-road--Stock-Photo.jpg