School Supplies + Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just had a couple of questions before I start med school next month.

What type of traditional school supplies are worth buying and having in med school? Things like notebooks, binders, etc?

Also, on a day to day basis during orientation week and for class/seminars/etc., is it okay to just wear a t-shirt and shorts every day?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

School supplies are just whatever you want. If you like printing and writing by hand, sure, go get some paper and binders. If you take notes on the computer, you'll probably never need paper. Be sure to read your specific school's handbook regarding dress code. Some schools don't have strict rules regarding attire while some of them do. In my opinion, shorts and a t-shirt is too laid bad. For orientation and at least a few classes afterwards, I'd dress up a little bit (slacks and a nice shirt) before everyone relaxes and then you can dress down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always have my protractor and compass. Always.

Reactions: 9 users
Laptop

Came in shorts and a t shirt on the first day. It's summer. Unless you trying to catch the eye of some fly honey

Reactions: 2 users
Very few people at my state school actually dress up on a day to day basis. Most people wear shorts/work out clothes. You only get to be in comfy clothing for 2 years before you have to dress up every single day for 3rd and 4th year if you're not in scrubs so take advantage of it.

I wore jeans almost every day MS1-2. Only bought pens/highlighters, our school did printed notes and I added stuff to the margins if needed. A few osteopathic schools have dress codes and idk where you are heading so just make sure you don't have a dress code and you are in the clear. Have a pair of nice pants in case they bring in a patient to interview (our school did this even in anatomy and we had to dress up/white coat)

In my opinion, shorts and a t-shirt is too laid bad.

What type of school do you attend?

Unless your school has a dress code, shorts and t-shirts are fine. There's no reason to dress up for class, unless you enjoy doing so. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

Random orientation social functions will depend on what the event is and your personal comfort level. If you're comfortable going out at night to the bar with classmates in shorts and a t-shirt, it should be fine. Most people like dressing up slightly more than that (like jeans and a button up or whatever) but it's not a criminal offense.

Reactions: 1 user
1) review school policy
2) orientation week I wouldn't say buisness casual or anything, but "preppy" would be good initially. This can be the first time you meet the Dean of your school, etc
3) review the orientation schedule too for when you guys do class or individual photos so you can dress appropriately for that

for materials, I bought a whole slew of highlighters I still have and never used

just buy some paper you like to take notes on & whatever fave pen/pencils, a laptop, tablet if you're into that, review what the schools says some have you get a tablet or whatever, smartphone, be sure your phone will work for receiving email on their system

that's it!

I would be more worried about making sure you have clinc appropriate wear for at least a week without having to look too repetitive the next week, as you never know quite how much clinic exposure you'll get MS & MS2

more people I knew needed to go out and get clinic dress shoes than worry about binders
just buy the binders etc as you need them

What type of school do you attend?

Unless your school has a dress code, shorts and t-shirts are fine. There's no reason to dress up for class, unless you enjoy doing so. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

A school where the dress code says no t-shirts or shorts.

A school where the dress code says no t-shirts or shorts.

That sucks dude.

I just think it's ridiculous that anybody wants to tell you what you can wear to just sit in a lecture hall.

Reactions: 4 users
Can you wear polos at least? The summer heat is way too brutal to be wearing long sleeve dress shirts every day.

F*ck that ****. I wore shorts every day of pre clinical, it helps to keep the snow off the bottom of your pants. Even now I have cut off my scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
F*ck that ****. I wore shorts every day of pre clinical, it helps to keep the snow off the bottom of your pants. Even now I have cut off my scrubs.

Reactions: 6 users
Dawson's Creek Trapper Keeper Ultra Keeper Futura S 2000

That sucks dude.

I just think it's ridiculous that anybody wants to tell you what you can wear to just sit in a lecture hall.
Isn't LECOM-Bradenton Shirt/Tie everyday? Granted, this is the same program that reportedly sats no water in the lecture halls. "Future doctors...tell your patients to drink water. What? Can YOU drink water? God no, that's insane."

Isn't LECOM-Bradenton Shirt/Tie everyday? Granted, this is the same program that reportedly sats no water in the lecture halls. "Future doctors...tell your patients to drink water. What? Can YOU drink water? God no, that's insane."

LECOM Erie is. I have relatives that precept in one of their hospitals for their pharmacy program. The AC broke one day and all the pharmacists and techs and people who actually are paid by the hospital were down to the minimum clothing they could wear and not get fired because it was 95 degrees in the pharmacy and the LECOM pharm students were still in shirts, ties, and white coats because they have the fear of god in them for apparent repercussions for unprofessional dress.

Reactions: 1 users
Erie, THATS it. Completely insane. And what exactly is the point? I get it (sort of) for patient interactions. (Though really scrubs should theoretically be appropriate). Didactic years though...not so much.

Erie, THATS it. Completely insane. And what exactly is the point? I get it (sort of) for patient interactions. (Though really scrubs should theoretically be appropriate). Didactic years though...not so much.
Especially in a town that often wins snowiest city in the US. Dress pants and snow boots are quite a look :)

I like the yoga pants and uggs look myself. Paired with whatever fleece is in style

I was always under the impression that you were a male...don't know why lol.

OP, I don't know how fashion savvy you are but I agree with crayola, stock up on dress pants and shirts etc where you're not looking like you only have three sets of formal clothes. If you live anywhere near places like Primark and have the body for it, you can get dress suits etc for like $70 for jackets and pants and like $9 for dress shirts, have it altered and you're good to go. Personally, with fitted clothes I've never seen anyone look bad in them. I hate scrubs.

I was always under the impression that you were a male...don't know why lol.

OP, I don't know how fashion savvy you are but I agree with crayola, stock up on dress pants and shirts etc where you're not looking like you only have three sets of formal clothes. If you live anywhere near places like Primark and have the body for it, you can get dress suits etc for like $70 for jackets and pants and like $9 for dress shirts, have it altered and you're good to go. Personally, with fitted clothes I've never seen anyone look bad in them. I hate scrubs.

Scrubs are the worst. The small size I am swimming in and the XS are skin tight so I always look like a 7 year old playing dress up like an idiot. Yet another reason for me to pick psychiatry. I get to wear a dress every single day and feel like me

Scrubs are the worst. The small size I am swimming in and the XS are skin tight so I always look like a 7 year old playing dress up like an idiot. Yet another reason for me to pick psychiatry. I get to wear a dress every single day and feel like me

I'm a floor nurse so I have no choice but to wear scrubs lmao. The hospital I work at provide them to all staff other than janitors and maintenance etc. I know how you feel, it's awful and they drag on the floor for me. Luckily, I know a couple of seamstress around my area and all my scrubs are made to fit. I buy the cloth, she measures me and my scrubs are basically custom fit lol. Sounds pretentious but honestly, they fit right and I like the way they look on me. I love dressing up too. I'm always so envious of the attending surgeons at my hospital. If they're not in scrubs, they're in a suit and you can tell the differences between surgeons and pediatrician by the way they dress haha.

If your school doesn't have a dress code, and it is 90 degrees out, wearing shorts and a t-shirt should be fine.

School supplies? Buy a couple of cheap sketchbooks and some colored pencils or pens. I use the heck out of these to sketch out mechanisms, anatomical structures, whatever. My drawings aren't superb works of art, but they do stick with me better than anything I do on a computer. There is just something about drawing something to make it stick in your head forever.

If your school doesn't have a dress code, and it is 90 degrees out, wearing shorts and a t-shirt should be fine.

School supplies? Buy a couple of cheap sketchbooks and some colored pencils or pens. I use the heck out of these to sketch out mechanisms, anatomical structures, whatever. My drawings aren't superb works of art, but they do stick with me better than anything I do on a computer. There is just something about drawing something to make it stick in your head forever.

I had a mini PTSD when I saw that word lol.

I had a mini PTSD when I saw that word lol.

LOL.

What I really meant to say was pathways. I guess drug mechanisms of action as well.

Blessedly, while I have encountered some broad organic chemistry concepts, I haven't had to recall anything nearly as detailed as all that.

All notes should be on a laptop (buy a surface or ipad if you want to take by hand) so you can look them up. Buy some loose leaf paper or notebooks for studying. That's it for school supplies.

Clothes, you should wait for the professional dress code, but it's basically button down/slacks/dress shoes for guys, blouse/knee-length skirt/trousers/closed closed shoes for women. (for clinical experience)

Being in pre-clinicals, I usually just wear shorts and a t-shirt, but I balance it out with a stethoscope around the neck so that people don't think me too slovenly. It's basically a "professional but laid back" look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If you're gonna wear shorts, make sure theyre cargos. The extra pockets serve as additional space to hold your stethoscope.

If you're gonna wear shorts, make sure theyre cargos. The extra pockets serve as additional space to hold your stethoscope.

They also serve as an avoidant for any cute girls so you'll be less distracted

Reactions: 3 users
All notes should be on a laptop (buy a surface or ipad if you want to take by hand) so you can look them up. Buy some loose leaf paper or notebooks for studying. That's it for school supplies.

Clothes, you should wait for the professional dress code, but it's basically button down/slacks/dress shoes for guys, blouse/knee-length skirt/trousers/closed closed shoes for women. (for clinical experience)
laptop more likely to be stolen than a binder of paper, jus sayin'

have your notes in the Cloud

• 1-2 really good pens, and a box of cheap pens that you'll realize are actually the best.
  • Notebook and/or computer paper, if you handwrite your notes.
  • Good desk lamp (Gotta see dem Bohr effects)
  • Condoms (you'll learn about the consequences of not using them later)
  • Good beer stein
  • Laptop
All else is just grass on dirt.

You need to go to walmart asap and find your schools back to school shopping list. Don't forget hand sanitizer and crayons.

Reactions: 1 users
For biochemistry and some of anatomy, I found a large white board and erase markers to be really helpful. I used it to learn pathways and veins/arteries/etc by drawing them over and over.
I am an old-fashioned paper notes kind of person, so I have a lot of large binders.

I'm almost embarrassed asking this question, but do you guys bring backpacks to school? I was thinking of just holding my laptop + charger and going to class... or should I at least bring a mid-sized handbag to school?

I look totally dorky with a backpack by the way...:laugh:

I'm almost embarrassed asking this question, but do you guys bring backpacks to school? I was thinking of just holding my laptop + charger and going to class... or should I at least bring a mid-sized handbag to school?

I look totally dorky with a backpack by the way...:laugh:

I have an odd undying hatred for backpacks and have basically refused to carry one since mid high school so I carry a giant handbag that fits all my stuff. That said, most men and many women in my class carry a backpack every day

Last edited:
You're surrounded by a bunch of medical students, not fashion design majors. No one will care if you have a backpack or not.

Tuxedos are standard attire for orientation. Anything less and you will look foolish.