MHA Schools and deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InquiringStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I could use some of your advice if you would take a moment to read where I'm needing help. I'm finally at the stage where I will be deciding which school I should attend and am looking for some feedback.

I applied to University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, University of Michigan, Ohio State University, George Washington University, Johns Hopkins University, Boston University, and Columbia University.

Out of those schools I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Minnesota and I just had my interview with Ohio State University yesterday but I'm pretty sure I will be accepted to that program.

• University of Michigan ended up rejecting me.

• Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, Boston University and George Washington University have all accepted me.

Here is where my dilema lies. My top 3 picks are Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University and Ohio State University.

Earlier this year before I had heard back I had told myself that without a doubt I would pick Columbia or Johns Hopkins in a heart beat but now that I've had time to reflect it does not seem as easy as it had been a few months back.

Currently my choice rests at Ohio State University.

I've compiled a few reasons I felt it made sense:

1. ROI (Return of Investment) I believe would not be significant enough in terms of doors opening that OSU couldn't provide as well. Most fellowships when applying, look for competence etc so coming from a particular school doesn't mean you have a better chance at obtaining it (as long as the rank is top 10 or higher).

2. Going off #1 - it isn't like OSU is ranked low in terms of their MHA ranking - it is ranked 10th overall. Columbia is 20 something. Johns Hopkins is ranked 7th which is a few ranks higher.

3. Alumni network I feel is also super important when considering a school since that helps you bridge the gap between school and the work force with potential networking that can occur. OSU is known for their alumni network and having over three decades of graduates provides individuals that are part of the alumni network in all different reaches of the country. I don't know the numbers for Columbia but from what I read it is a relatively new program that they started offering in the last 5 years (I could be wrong) so their base isn't as developed.

4. Cost of tuition is years apart. Any school that is not OSU I would be paying roughly 50-55 thousand a year totaling to about 120-140k in 2 years for an MHA degree (counting boarding etc). With OSU however I would be paying roughly 15-20k (in-state resident fee). So at the end of my two years I can choose to be about 30-40k in debt or roughly 120-140k in debt for a school that is a few ranks better or has more prestige and fame associated to its name.

5. Another thing is with Johns Hopkins it's an accelerated program so you're basically taking 2 years worth of courses in one year which I feel may be an overload of information and for someone aspiring to be a health care executive in the future it is important to truly have time to digest the information you process so that you will remember it long-term.

Plus if I wanted to do fellowships at some of the places I am interested in such as Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Kaiser Permanente, graduates from all three schools have secured fellowships, so it's not like going to a particular school wouldn't allow me to obtain it.

The only thing I can't really find any information on is if going to a particular school ensures a higher salary than a different one. For example, going to Columbia vs OSU could be 65k vs 60k or something like that. I know Columbia and Hopkins show a general overview of what their graduating students salaries are, at least the ones that reported it.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback or advice anyone can offer. I'm just trying to see if I potentially forgot something or if I overlooked or generalized something too much.

Thank you and I appreciate your assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I'm reading, it seems your gut feeling is for Ohio but you feel guilty turning down JHU/Columbia. Assuming a Columbia grad is offered $65K instead of $60K from OSU, does that $5K really matter when you think of the difference in debt? If you can get to where you need to be with Ohio, I think that's your best fit. Certain careers (e.g., consulting) love prestige but it seems you're not really looking to go into that.

Thank you for your response Ebb!

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I am looking for (working in a healthcare organization or consulting for one), I figured as I attended grad school I would have a better idea as my studies progressed and I was able to do certain internships.

Also I'm not actually entirely sure the pay differences between the schools, I was just using that as an example, I know top tier schools (Ivy/JHU) tend to get a higher avg pay but I can't find any sources that show the average difference between the schools.

Consulting is definitely not something I've decided against, I had just figured getting a fellowship to gain the invaluable experience it provides first would be a better pathway, and if I chose to go into consulting I could always do it afterwards.

At the moment, I'm trying to find out the discernible differences between those schools and if I'm overlooking anything. Does a degree from JHU or Columbia make you look much more marketable or is it a slight difference? I guess, how big does the gap become?

Edit: I should also mention I went to OSU my undergraduate career so I'm probably a little biased towards it and have that as a feeling of safety since I know what life there would be like from prior experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I could use some of your advice if you would take a moment to read where I'm needing help. I'm finally at the stage where I will be deciding which school I should attend and am looking for some feedback.

I applied to University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, University of Michigan, Ohio State University, George Washington University, Johns Hopkins University, Boston University, and Columbia University.

Out of those schools I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Minnesota and I just had my interview with Ohio State University yesterday but I'm pretty sure I will be accepted to that program.

• University of Michigan ended up rejecting me.

• Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, Boston University and George Washington University have all accepted me.

Here is where my dilema lies. My top 3 picks are Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University and Ohio State University.

Earlier this year before I had heard back I had told myself that without a doubt I would pick Columbia or Johns Hopkins in a heart beat but now that I've had time to reflect it does not seem as easy as it had been a few months back.

Currently my choice rests at Ohio State University.

I've compiled a few reasons I felt it made sense:

1. ROI (Return of Investment) I believe would not be significant enough in terms of doors opening that OSU couldn't provide as well. Most fellowships when applying, look for competence etc so coming from a particular school doesn't mean you have a better chance at obtaining it (as long as the rank is top 10 or higher).

2. Going off #1 - it isn't like OSU is ranked low in terms of their MHA ranking - it is ranked 10th overall. Columbia is 20 something. Johns Hopkins is ranked 7th which is a few ranks higher.

3. Alumni network I feel is also super important when considering a school since that helps you bridge the gap between school and the work force with potential networking that can occur. OSU is known for their alumni network and having over three decades of graduates provides individuals that are part of the alumni network in all different reaches of the country. I don't know the numbers for Columbia but from what I read it is a relatively new program that they started offering in the last 5 years (I could be wrong) so their base isn't as developed.

4. Cost of tuition is years apart. Any school that is not OSU I would be paying roughly 50-55 thousand a year totaling to about 120-140k in 2 years for an MHA degree (counting boarding etc). With OSU however I would be paying roughly 15-20k (in-state resident fee). So at the end of my two years I can choose to be about 30-40k in debt or roughly 120-140k in debt for a school that is a few ranks better or has more prestige and fame associated to its name.

5. Another thing is with Johns Hopkins it's an accelerated program so you're basically taking 2 years worth of courses in one year which I feel may be an overload of information and for someone aspiring to be a health care executive in the future it is important to truly have time to digest the information you process so that you will remember it long-term.

Plus if I wanted to do fellowships at some of the places I am interested in such as Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Kaiser Permanente, graduates from all three schools have secured fellowships, so it's not like going to a particular school wouldn't allow me to obtain it.

The only thing I can't really find any information on is if going to a particular school ensures a higher salary than a different one. For example, going to Columbia vs OSU could be 65k vs 60k or something like that. I know Columbia and Hopkins show a general overview of what their graduating students salaries are, at least the ones that reported it.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback or advice anyone can offer. I'm just trying to see if I potentially forgot something or if I overlooked or generalized something too much.

Thank you and I appreciate your assistance!

Actually, no the Columbia program has been CAHME accredited since 1968. It started off as an MPH in Health Administration so that’s where the confusion lies. It changed to MHA in 2015, but the program is well know since the 60s.

Actually, no the Columbia program has been CAHME accredited since 1968. It started off as an MPH in Health Administration so that’s where the confusion lies. It changed to MHA in 2015, but the program is well know since the 60s.

Appreciate the reply, I've decided Johns Hopkins :)