How did you choose what school/program was right for you? What types of questions should I be askin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.pinks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically I'm wondering what questions can I ask myself/these schools and programs to figure out what is a better fit for me?
I'm in between choosing schools, NYU vs Drexel both where I got some $$. Both are going to be expensive for me either way, both located in large urban cities. I've done research on the forums about both schools and opinions etc.

Members don't see this ad.

So basically I'm wondering what questions can I ask myself/these schools and programs to figure out what is a better fit for me?
I'm in between choosing schools, NYU vs Drexel both where I got some $$. Both are going to be expensive for me either way, both located in large urban cities. I've done research on the forums about both schools and opinions etc.

I focused a lot of 2 factors: curriculum and professors. I chose a school where there were electives that would help develop my career interests. I’m also interested in research, so I checked to see if there were professors working on projects in line with what I would like to do in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
If both programs are comparable financially, I'd consider each programs: (1) reputation; (2) professional network; and (3) areas of expertise, in relation to your professional interests. When considering each area, make sure to keep your "end game" in mind. In other words, what do you aspire to do with your degree (e.g. practice, conduct research, pursue more education, etc)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! This is aimed at dr.pinks but really anybody with insight would be great! How do people go about getting $$ from the schools? Is there a special application to submit requesting to be considered for money? Or is it based on merit and stuff and the schools will automatically offer $$? Thank you so much!

Hi! This is aimed at dr.pinks but really anybody with insight would be great! How do people go about getting $$ from the schools? Is there a special application to submit requesting to be considered for money? Or is it based on merit and stuff and the schools will automatically offer $$? Thank you so much!

1. If you are eligible, fill out the FAFSA online after January 1 and send it to each school. This is an application for federal student aid (aka graduate student loans), and sending it will tell each school about your financial need. This may factor into need-based scholarships.

2. Pay attention to each school's additional requirements. In addition to FAFSA, some schools may have a separate financial aid application for graduate students. This will be clearly indicated on their financial aid or admissions sites.

3. Some schools have separate scholarship applications/directions, which will be clearly indicated on their site or on SOPHAS. I know I wrote additional essays for scholarship consideration for Minnesota, Colorado, and Pittsburgh, for example.

4. Most schools have scholarships that they may or may not write about online that are given just based on merit. These don't require any additional work on the applicant's part. Usually people hear about these scholarships with admissions or a few weeks after.