Schools focused more on GPA rather than GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTanabol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PT hopeful that has been wait listed in several schools. I have gotten various responses on why I haven't gotten a for sure spot into the program ( ex. GRE or GPA). I was wondering if there was some way to find out which schools focus more or solely on GPA rather than GRE in order to have a better shot of getting in next year. Appreciate any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine they like them both OVER the minimum and somewhere near the average. I have heard that having a high GRE could compensate for a low GPA and vice versa, but that could all be a lie. Best to ask admissions directly?

Never know what admissions is looking for these days, I had a friend with a 3.9 GPA denied from a school and some with 3.2 GPAs with a few acceptances.

Some schools I applied to didn't even look at the GRE. If I don't get in this year I am going to take a few of my prerequisite courses over ( classes I got "B's" in and get "A's"). It would just be nice to know what other schools don't take the GRE into account so that I'm not waisting time on studying for that test when it isn't necessary for certain schools(I really don't care where I go, I just want to get in).
A few of the schools I applied to said I have above what the need for the GRE and some said I need to do better. I would really just like to focus on the classes and not the GRE too.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the PTCAS website under directory if you click on specific schools they tell you what they require including if they need the GRE or not. Idk if you've checked that out but that's what I've found. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I know. Even though some schools say they require it they really don't talk it into account unless you do terrible. Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

Some schools will tell you directly what they value more if you give them a call

Yeah I know. Even though some schools say they require it they really don't talk it into account unless you do terrible. Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

best bet is to just call. Maybe if you let us know your GPA/GRE we can evaluate from there? Seeing as you have been waitlisted from various schools your scores shouldn't be horrible?