Schools list, chances? Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I posted here than on the respective thread, it's just that I'm turning my app in on Thursday and based on past experience, I can get a much faster response here. I will post my stats below:
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.64
  • Science GPA: 3.60
  • Non-Science: 3.72
  • MCAT (PS/VR/BS): 8/7/10 --> 25
  • California Resident
ECs:
  • 100 hours of volunteering at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Freshman year)
  • 200 hours at Glendale Adventist Medical Center though the care extender program (sophomore-beginning of junior year)
  • 50 hours shadowing osteopathic family practitioner (summer between sophomore -junior)
  • 1 year embryonic research studying the differentiation of neural crest cells and neural tubes
  • Charity organization called INC Giving for about three years where we do various charity work numerous times a year.
  • Four years church youth group president
  • For about a year, tutoring children with history of abuse in a transitional shelter.
  • Church choir for about five years
  • Photography as well as some freelance work for about a year and half.
Coursework:

Fall 11 gpa: 3.68 13 units
Spring 12 gpa: 3.66 14 units
Summer 12 gpa: 3.63 8 units
Fall 12 gpa: 3.48 14 units
Spring 13 gpa: 3.35 15 units
Summer 13 gpa: 3.85 7 units
Fall 13 gpa: 3.70 11 units
Spring 14: gpa: 4.0 10 units

I will post my school list below. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on the schools that I should add. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School List:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • CCOM
  • PCOM/PCOM-GA
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • LUCOM
  • MU-COM
  • MSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • NSU-COM
  • OSU-COM
  • PNWU-COM
  • RVU-COM
  • RowanSOM
  • TouroCOM- NY
  • TUNCOM
  • TUCOM-CA
  • VCOM-CC
  • Western-COMP
  • WCUCOM
Many of these are reach schools but I just want to apply as broadly as I can. Thanks for all your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
My list
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • PCOM/PCOM-GA
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • MU-COM
  • MSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • NSU-COM
  • PNWU-COM
  • RVU-COM
  • RowanSOM
  • TUNCOM
  • VCOM-CC
  • Western-COMP
  • WCUCOM

Thanks for your input Goro! Do you think I should consider retaking my MCAT? What do you think my overall chances are this year? Thanks again!

Thanks for your input Goro! Do you think I should consider retaking my MCAT? What do you think my overall chances are this year? Thanks again!

Interested to know this as well.

Our sGPA are the same. your cGPA is .3 higher, but I've got a 3.8 post-bacc which hopefully counters that a bit. I get my MCAT score back a week from today and am trying to remain calm in the event I land a 25 myself!

My list
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • PCOM/PCOM-GA
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • MU-COM
  • MSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • NSU-COM
  • PNWU-COM
  • RVU-COM
  • RowanSOM
  • TUNCOM
  • VCOM-CC
  • Western-COMP
  • WCUCOM

As always, I respect Goro's opinion but I'm not sure about LECOM-B, NSU, and RVU being on that list.

From what I've seen AZCOM starts interviewing lower stat applicants towards the end after putting them on hold for a while.

With MCAT medians of ~28, OP is in striking distance of the three schools you list, chiz. I don't know if they take the best possible composite, or simply average, but I think it's worth the shot.

As always, I respect Goro's opinion but I'm not sure about LECOM-B, NSU, and RVU being on that list.

From what I've seen AZCOM starts interviewing lower stat applicants towards the end after putting them on hold for a while.

Thanks Goro! At this point I really am not very picky as to where I end up. I'm more concerned about landing an acceptance.

Last edited:
@Goro Just wondering, why did you remove LUCOM? Do they have a strong in-state bias? Thanks!

I have a strong distaste for the politics of their parent organization.

Just wondering, why did you remove LUCOM? Do they have a strong in-state bias? Thanks!

As I wrote, OP is within 3 points of their median...they can't be as choosy in this regard as, say, CCOM or TUCOM-CA, or my own school.

But schools like Nova, RVU and AZCOM are 'mcat-obsessed'

@Goro Just wondering, why did you remove LUCOM? Do they have a strong in-state bias? Thanks!

If you feel so inclined, include LUCON as a backup school. Newer schools like this will be impressed by your GPA's, not necessarily MCAT. Not to say your MCAT is bad, it puts you in the middle of the pack purely speaking on that metric alone. I agree with @Goro 's list. You have the right attitude: Apply broadly, go where someone takes you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel so inclined, include LUCON as a backup school. Newer schools like this will be impressed by your GPA's, not necessarily MCAT. Not to say your MCAT is bad, it puts you in the middle of the pack purely speaking on that metric alone. I agree with @Goro 's list. You have the right attitude: Apply broadly, go where someone takes you.

Great idea! But @Goro 's response sparked my curiosity. What's going on with LUCOM's institution?

Great idea! But @Goro 's response sparked my curiosity. What's going on with LUCOM's institution?

They have extremely strong ties to a political agenda and also have pretty overbearing standards due to their Christian fundamentalist viewpoint. It's a bit much. Also, they've had a history of showing distaste and persecution against anyone who strays from their fundamentalist viewpoints.

So unless you're a "hardcore" Christian I'd be wary of LUCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
School List:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • CCOM
  • PCOM/PCOM-GA
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • LUCOM
  • MU-COM
  • MSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • NSU-COM
  • OSU-COM
  • PNWU-COM
  • RVU-COM
  • RowanSOM
  • TouroCOM- NY
  • TUNCOM
  • TUCOM-CA
  • VCOM-CC
  • Western-COMP
  • WCUCOM
Many of these are reach schools but I just want to apply as broadly as I can. Thanks for all your input!
Chances are outstanding.

If you want the best return for your money, I would remove CCOM, Touro Ca, Rowan, OSU, NYIT, AZCOM and WCU. These are either too competitive or too regional. You can avoid LUCOM and add LMU KCUMB DMU and/or ACOM.

Last edited:
So far my school list is:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • DMU
  • PCOM/PCOM-GA
  • KCUMB
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • LUCOM
  • MU-COM
  • MSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • NSU-COM
  • PNWU-COM
  • RVU-COM
  • RowanSOM
  • TUNCOM
  • VCOM-CC
  • Western-COMP
  • Western-Lebanon
  • WCUCOM
Despite Goro's distaste for LUCOM's background, I thought I'd throw it in the mix just to maximize my chances of securing an acceptance. Let me know if I should add or subtract something from my list. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Going nuts over here! My app's still processing. They received my transcript I think July 30th. I'm hoping to get verified real soon. If I get verified by the end of this month/early September, would I be too late? I mean given my less than stellar numbers (mcat in particular)? Help!!!!

Going nuts over here! My app's still processing. They received my transcript I think July 30th. I'm hoping to get verified real soon. If I get verified by the end of this month/early September, would I be too late? I mean given my less than stellar numbers (mcat in particular)? Help!!!!
No you will not be too late. Coming from someone who applied super late, you're fine. You're not considered late until November and later.

@k12123 I would remove RVU-COM, NSUCOM, Rowan, PCOM-PA, MSUCOM, NYIT, AZCOM and add WVSOM, ACOM, LMU-DCOM... I think your list is too top heavy with a not so hot MCAT score...

Here is the list of schools that I actually applied to:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • DMU
  • VCOM-CC
  • PCOM-GA
  • KCUMB
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LUCOM
  • MUCOM
  • MSU-COM
  • NSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • PNWU
  • RVUCOM
  • Rowan
  • TUNCOM
  • Western-COMP
  • Western-Lebanon
  • WCUCOM
I didn't apply to WVSOM and LMU-DCOM for personal reasons. I removed PCOM-PA from my list before I submitted my primaries. Come to think of it my app is a bit top heavy, so I might just add ACOM to my list.

Just a heads up, MSU costs > $80,000 a year for OOS applicants.

You can use this link to find out requirements/costs of the schools you're interested in: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2015_CIBfull-web_Updated.pdf

Funny thing, I was just looking at the CIB a few minutes ago. The only reason why I'm applying to MSU is because quite a bit of our undergrads have been accepted to the program. They also visit our campus numerous times a year to hold information sessions and whatnot. I guess they're after the OOS tuition or something.

Here is the list of schools that I actually applied to:
  • ATSU-SOMA
  • AZCOM
  • CUSOM
  • DMU
  • VCOM-CC
  • PCOM-GA
  • KCUMB
  • LECOM-Bradenton
  • LECOM-Erie
  • LUCOM
  • MUCOM
  • MSU-COM
  • NSU-COM
  • NYIT
  • PNWU
  • RVUCOM
  • Rowan
  • TUNCOM
  • Western-COMP
  • Western-Lebanon
  • WCUCOM
I didn't apply to WVSOM and LMU-DCOM for personal reasons. I removed PCOM-PA from my list before I submitted my primaries. Come to think of it my app is a bit top heavy, so I might just add ACOM to my list.
if you do apply to all of these schools plus ACOM, you should probably land at least 7-8 ii's.

if you do apply to all of these schools plus ACOM, you should probably land at least 7-8 ii's.

Thanks for the positive outlook! I sure hope I get a lot of attention this cycle.

That is a huge drawback. Although you're in-state after a year right?
Negative. Everything I have heard (and after contacting their office), you do not become in-state after a year. This is also true of Rowan - another school that people consistently think in-state can be achieved through. In the past they did allow for the OOS --> In-state transfer, but as far as I know the rules have changed. They do offer a sizable scholarship to out of state students, but after contacting their office, they would not answer the percentage of out of state students that actually receive this scholarship.

The only way to get in-state is through some kind of loophole where by you have a spouse that is also living and working in that state for at least 12 months, and then you would need to change all official documents verifying that you are now an official state resident.

If you are not prepared to drop 70-80K a year, then do not apply. That money is very real and you will have to pay it back.