schools - low gpa but decent GRE score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExceptionalSea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so i have the opposite problem of everyone else. i have a low cumulative GPA, at 3.1. (i was young, i went to school in new orleans...you get the picture).

anyway, surprisingly my pre-req gpa is pretty good so far, at 3.7. i have a few pre-req classes to take which i hope to do well in (now that i am older and will apply myself accordingly). i know most schools won't count any classes taken after the undergraduate career into the cumulative GPA calculation, so that won't help me there, but hopefully i'll keep my pre-req gpa high. lastly, i took the gre a few years ago thinking i might want to go to grad school, and got a 1260, which although not the most fantastic score i think offsets my lower gpa a little.

the problem is, a lot of programs seem to ONLY care about gpa (i.e. Indiana University). does anyone have any suggestions for programs that look a little more holistically and actually take the GRE into account? or programs that put more emphasis on the pre-req GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

some schools (like USC) do take your WHOLE GPA, even with classes taken after your undergraduate

and some schools (like San Jose State and Washington University) take your last 60 semester GPA (which can include classes taken after undergraduate)

st augustine in san diego and florida ask for a personal statement, a 2-3 page autobiography, and resume, so they're probably look more holistically when reviewing applications