Schools outside of California? Help pick a match!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raydar510

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know these personalized questions that are "all about me" come up all the time, but I really do need some advice on what schools to apply to. I've lived in California all my life and will be applying to all the med schools here, but I need to figure out where else would be a good match for me. I've looked through the MSAR book several times, but there's only so much you can get from that. Also, what is an appropriate number of schools to apply to if I want to avoid re-applying (my 2006 MCAT scores expire if I don't get in this round)? Here is some info about me, so you can judge possible matches...
  • 22 yrs, white, female, type I diabetic since age 10
  • Cognitive Science major from UCSD
  • 3.76 Cum GPA
  • MCAT 29R
  • Strong letters of rec from 2 science profs, 1 non-sci prof, UCSF PI, Ph.D supervisor at biotech company
  • Founded non-profit organization to help kids/teens with diabetes through mentorship programs, group activities, and raising awareness about the disease
  • On the board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (SD)
  • Neuroscience Research Associate in Biotech company for 2.5 years
  • Summer research at UCSF Diabetes Center
  • Cognitive Science Student Association Officer (President, Vice Pres, Treasurer, Social Chair) for 4 years
  • Sorority Officer (Vice Pres Finance, Scholarship Chair) for 4 years
  • Airline Ambassador trip to help at orphanage in Honduras for HIV+ kids (one time)
  • Summer volunteer at UCSD Cognitive Neuro lab
  • Presented at Society for Neuroscience annual meeting
  • Provosts honors every quarter of college
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I know these personalized questions that are "all about me" come up all the time, but I really do need some advice on what schools to apply to. I've lived in California all my life and will be applying to all the med schools here, but I need to figure out where else would be a good match for me. I've looked through the MSAR book several times, but there's only so much you can get from that. Also, what is an appropriate number of schools to apply to if I want to avoid re-applying (my 2006 MCAT scores expire if I don't get in this round)? Here is some info about me, so you can judge possible matches...
  • 3.76 Cum GPA
  • MCAT 29R
  • Strong letters of rec from 2 science profs, 1 non-sci prof, UCSF PI, Ph.D supervisor at biotech company
  • Founded non-profit organization to help kids/teens with diabetes through mentorship programs, group activities, and raising awareness about the disease
  • Cognitive Science Student Association Officer (President, Vice Pres, Treasurer, Social Chair) for 4 years
  • Airline Ambassador trip to help at orphanage in Honduras for HIV+ kids (one time)
Thank you in advance.

I'd say 20 is appropriate number of schools. Honestly, given your MCAT, I think it would be a good idea to look at MSAR (I know) and apply to a lot of the schools with low MCAT averages like Georgetown, George Washington, etc. On the other hand, you have above average research experience, so that should carry you a bit farther with some of the top 50 or so. I would say to look into Cleveland Clinic and Case Western as reaches if you are interested in continuing as a physician-scientist.

Why all of a sudden are all these threads "choose my schools" rather than "what are my chances?" There's not too much we can say on the first question.

• 3.76 Cum GPA
  • MCAT 29R
Thank you in advance.

I would consider applying to all schools in CA, including USC and Loma Linda. For some OOS suggestions, I would apply to schools such as NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Temple, GWU, VCU, SUNY Downstate, St. Louis Univ, OSU, Cincinnati, Rochester, Jefferson.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • 3.76 Cum GPA
  • MCAT 29R
Thank you in advance.

You should strongly consider St. Louis U, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Creighton, as they tend to have acceptees with stats similar to yours.

Thanks! Very helpful. I have not looked into some of the schools you suggested.

You have a very well-rounded application so you have a good chance at the CA schools. With your application, 20 schools sounds about good. Some other schools you should consider for OOS are Georgetown, the SUNYs, East Virginia, Drexel, BU, Tufts and OHSU.

I REALLY hope I have a chance at one of the CA schools, so your post is giving me a brief moment of relief/confidence/happiness... but I am still really worried about my low MCAT score, so I will definitely be applying to a wide range of schools across the country.

With all the suggestions I've gotten, plus the use of medfind to get matches, I now have a list of over 50 schools!!! Opposite problem now. I need to start narrowing down towards 20-30, but not quite sure how to go about doing that. Any suggestions on what worked for others out there?