Schools Sensitive to Families

Started by zimmie256
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Z

zimmie256

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 23 and recently married. I'm applying for the first time this summer. We definitely want to have kids, but are not sure yet of the timing... we may end up just waiting post-school or post-residency. Anyway, I was hoping that somebody would have feedback on schools that are particularly sensitive to student moms just to keep my options open. I'm living in NJ right now and I'd like to stay in that area (believe it or not!) so sensitive schools in that region would be particularly helpful. Thanks!
 
UVM (University of Vermont) has a reputation for being family-friendly. Every year there are several students - male and female - who are married with kids. The family housing at Fort Ethan Allen is convenient and affordable. Virtually all course resources are online during the first 1.5 yrs so you don't *need* to be on campus to learn (although most students do attend lectures). Also, the overnight call schedule during clinical rotations is relatively light -- most rotations don't even have overnight call (surgery and ob/gyn are the exceptions, and even then it's like once a week).
 
zimmie256 said:
I am 23 and recently married. I'm applying for the first time this summer. We definitely want to have kids, but are not sure yet of the timing... we may end up just waiting post-school or post-residency. Anyway, I was hoping that somebody would have feedback on schools that are particularly sensitive to student moms just to keep my options open. I'm living in NJ right now and I'd like to stay in that area (believe it or not!) so sensitive schools in that region would be particularly helpful. Thanks!


UMDNj-SOM can be "somewhat" sensitive to students with families, best wishes
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
zimmie256 said:
I am 23 and recently married. I'm applying for the first time this summer. We definitely want to have kids, but are not sure yet of the timing... we may end up just waiting post-school or post-residency. Anyway, I was hoping that somebody would have feedback on schools that are particularly sensitive to student moms just to keep my options open. I'm living in NJ right now and I'd like to stay in that area (believe it or not!) so sensitive schools in that region would be particularly helpful. Thanks!

Depending on what part of Jersey you're in, Drexel (in Philly) would be right up your alley. They actively seek non-trads (though besides your being married, I'm not sure you quite make it into my non-trad description of the older career-changer 😉 ). I got the impression they are quite family-friendly too. They have a fairly liberal make-up exam policy to facilitate those who may have emergency family obligations. All of their lectures are available online within hours, along with the lecture notes.

The one possible kink there is that they have a network of hospitals throughout PA for their clinical rotations. But with a family, they will make every effort to help you stay in your chosen location.
 
Adcom priorites:

1.MCAT
2.MCAT
3.MCAT
4.GPA
5.MCAT...


22. families

Do I sound cynical? Sorry...Have rock solid credentials, THEN start planning family matters. GL
 
zimmie256 said:
I am 23 and recently married. I'm applying for the first time this summer. We definitely want to have kids, but are not sure yet of the timing... we may end up just waiting post-school or post-residency. Anyway, I was hoping that somebody would have feedback on schools that are particularly sensitive to student moms just to keep my options open. I'm living in NJ right now and I'd like to stay in that area (believe it or not!) so sensitive schools in that region would be particularly helpful. Thanks!

Hi there,
Almost 1/5 of my medical school class had children going in and many married while in medical school and had children. Having or not having children is a non-issue for medical schools and residencies for that matter. Medical school administrations are "sensitive" to all issues that affect their students so being a parent is nothing new or different.

If you are looking for a medical school that is going to give you extra points for being a parent, then you are probably not going to find many if any. Instead, apply to schools where you will be the most comfortable and can do your best work. If you want to stay in NJ, then apply to schools in NJ. Medical schools want the best students who show evidence (GPA, MCAT etc.) that they can successfully navigate a challenging medical school curriculum. Whether or not you have children, or whether or not you are married, makes no difference academically.

njbmd 🙂