Schools that are easier on the GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- I will definitely check their box :)

Just so you are not shocked later, colorado state has a supplementary application. It is not really challenging as it mostly asks a lot of the same info as VMCAS but "checking the box" does not suffice!

Members don't see this ad.

Just so you are not shocked later, colorado state has a supplementary application. It is not really challenging as it mostly asks a lot of the same info as VMCAS but "checking the box" does not suffice!

I guess I meant "checking the box" in the sense that I would apply there. I've been taking notes on which schools have supplementals (seems most do!), so I'll have to wade through those. Thank you for the heads up though :)

I guess I meant "checking the box" in the sense that I would apply there. I've been taking notes on which schools have supplementals (seems most do!), so I'll have to wade through those. Thank you for the heads up though :)

Penn has the easiest supplemental possible. Name, GPA, SEND US A CHECK.

A blatant shakedown for fifty bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)

sorry if there was any confusion, i just thought i would mention the VMCAS since that's the first step...i kind of forgot there were schools that didn't have their own supplements ;)

and as mentioned before, the supplement isn't bad. the hardest thing is trying to answer their questions with tiny character limits!

I guess I meant "checking the box" in the sense that I would apply there. I've been taking notes on which schools have supplementals (seems most do!), so I'll have to wade through those. Thank you for the heads up though

Well here's the ones I know about:

Kansas - short and sweet: basic info, give us money
Missouri, Colorado - Basically like filling out a new application
Louisiana - was quite short this year, but it seemed that it was really long last year, so it may change yet again
OSU, ISU - Had about three essays each
Western - Had, literally, 11 essays (10 if you opted out of the 'additional info' one), plus you had to do a CV
A&M - couple of essays

Wow! With those kind of numbers--esp GRE, tons of horse experience and 2 research projects, I am shocked that you didn't get an immediate acceptance at VMRCVM! Guess that means I didn't know as much about VMRCVM acceptance trends as I thought. Good for you for getting that Davis interview and good for Davis for looking past a 3.3 GPA. :D

When do you hear from Davis?

I hope you get into Davis :D those other schools are so crazy to waitlist you (and me!! lol). i only spoke with you one night and jeez u already talked like a vet lol you definitely know a lot about horses! those experiences did you well. good luck!! i hope ppl hear from UCD soon cuz its driving ME crazy and i didnt even apply there! lol seems like its one of only a few schools left to make decisions

Thanks for the support! I feel like I'm infecting all of the threads I go into with my neurosis. I have always known that I might have to apply multiple times and I'm still trying to stay positive, but I am SO CLOSE to the edge, and not knowing is really making me feel like I need to be committed. ;) Davis is sending stuff out randomly, so any day now I will know my fate for next fall.

Thanks for the support! I feel like I'm infecting all of the threads I go into with my neurosis. I have always known that I might have to apply multiple times and I'm still trying to stay positive, but I am SO CLOSE to the edge, and not knowing is really making me feel like I need to be committed. ;) Davis is sending stuff out randomly, so any day now I will know my fate for next fall.

Good Luck! I thought I was in, and then got crushed when I didn't get an email when SDNers were getting one. Ugh

I'll be applying again this fall, and again and again and again!

Okay guys, I need some opinions.

First, I've taken the GRE three times so far - 1150 the first time, worse the second time (don't ask), and 1290 the third time. Should I take it again? I could probably do better if I studied for a month (instead of a week, my norm - lol) but would taking it a fourth time look bad for some reason?

Second, I just met with someone within the college here that I generally trust for advice, and one of my eLOR writers... they told me that I have a 10% chance (ish) of getting accepted to OK if I reapply, said that a master's would not help with admissions, and suggested that I get a vet tech degree so that I can get some better experience and a better vet reference, or that I apply to Ross and then try to transfer back to OK after my first year.

Basically, everything that is generally regarded as a terrrible idea.

Also, having an interest in pathology is too focused at this point and declaring that I don't want to (ultimately) do clinical work is bad.

I'm just venting a bit since this was NOT what I expected to hear, and now I'm not sure what to do this next year.

Oh, and they also said that they don't really accept people after their 3rd try, even though they don't go out and say that, so this was kinda my last chance (paraphrasing).

....urgh.

Okay guys, I need some opinions.

Apply to other schools. Oklahoma clearly doesn't know what it's missing and doesn't seem likely to figure it out. :thumbdown:

It seems like Minnesota and Iowa actually prefer people who are interested in things other than clinical work, and I've heard similar things for other schools.

Also, if this is what one of your eLoR writers is saying, maybe you need a better reference. If they're pessimistic about you, that may be showing through in their letter whether they intend it or not.

And retaking the GRE rarely hurts. Maybe even take a prep course if you're having trouble managing your study time.

Good luck! I bet you'll be picking amongst a pile of OOS acceptances next spring!

Basically, everything that is generally regarded as a terrrible idea.

Does OK do file reviews? Is it the only school you applied to?

You have 7 months until October. I'm sure there's plenty you can do to improve your app in 7 months. Can you get some more (and widely varied experience?) Your GRE scores don't seem bad. If you could improve them, it could help, or it could just waste some money. But I doubt it would hurt you. Can you re-write your PS? Did you only apply to OK? Why not try 10ish schools next time? Are you sure your LORs all said nice things? Maybe it'd be worth getting new people next time around. And obviously, places do accept people after the third try - look at LVT2DVM.

Twelvetigers,

1290! hell no, dont retake it. congrats on that! :D

I've never heard of someone saying that wanting to do pathology is bad. i think they need more people going into that field. I don't want to do clinical work either, i didnt say it like that during my PS or interview though. I tried to make sure they knew that i like doin all parts of vet med but my preference is to go into ___ for ___ reason. I'm sure you did the same though, so i dunno who this advice giver is lol i dont agree with him.

I think it would help [at least me] if you gave a general overview of your app. kind of like the successful applicant page. I would understand if you don't want to because it is personal and you havent been accepted yet. but it would just help to see what all of us think you should focus on or what you should do. We'd also know which schools you have already tried before.

I have a contact here at NIH. One is a DVM graduate, she is doing DVM/PhD and I'm kind of forgetting if she is still doing her PhD now or post-doc. i think she is in the middle of PhD, mm yes. She works in a lab here and she has another contact to a man who runs a pathology lab on campus. Mark Simpson: http://ccr.nci.nih.gov/staff/staff.asp?profileid=8472

I'm not exactly sure how this could help, butttt contacts are good! and networking makes all the difference. The girl is super super nice and she will give you a lot of advice. PM me if you want her info. Who knows, maybe they randomly have a position open. And FYI i'm pretty sure it was my experience at NIH that got me into vet school. You can get a ton of experience in the area you are interested in and you will make a billion new networking paths.

Twelvetigers,

1290! hell no, dont retake it. congrats on that! :D

I agree with this too. I did a file review with CSU and asked them if I should retake the test (I had a 1280) and they said no. A 1280 was considered competitive enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK does file reviews on or after June 15th.

It's the only school I applied to - my logic was that moving would be a pain in the butt, and my best chance would be IS, and my odds are good here (50/80 interviewed are then accepted). I only applied to OK in 2008 as well.

I worked really hard on my PS! I will tweak it for sure, as much as needed, but it wasn't terrible this time. I let a lot of people read it.

I'm applying lots of places next time.

I have... let's see, about 640 hours tick research (F. tularensis) that's pretty cool under a few faculty at the vet school. I have 2000 hours with the diagnostics lab (under work experience, but I specify the relevance in my PS and the explanation of the experience). I have probably over 2000 hours at my current one Dr. small animal clinic. I have 68 hours shadowing a LA farm call type vet, and 15 hours shadowing path rounds. I also have like 60 hours caring for research puppies, a couple necropsies, and a summer of lab work where I ended up doing glassware and paperwork rather than research.

My GPA is basically a 3.0. I'll have to check with some schools about their retake policies if they have a 3.0 cutoff for OOS applicants, or I might not clear that. My science GPA is probably more 3.2ish, and I have no idea my last 45 - OK doesn't consider that.

I think my LORs were good, but now I'm kinda wondering given what the person above told me, soooooh... I might have to rethink some things in that regard.

Anything else? Lol.

ETA: I know a 1290 is good (and a 640 on verbal, yay!) but I'm thinking more along the lines of... if GPA/GRE are lumped, I need to help my poor little hobbly GPA out as much as I possibly can.

ETA: I know a 1290 is good (and a 640 on verbal, yay!) but I'm thinking more along the lines of... if GPA/GRE are lumped, I need to help my poor little hobbly GPA out as much as I possibly can.

I agree with this. A higher GRE can really help a lower GPA, I think. A 1290 is great, but with a 3.0 GPA, you may really need to wow them with a higher GRE score.

Also, if your GPA trend is generally upward, consider at places like Minnesota, which doesn't even consider cumulative GPA, only last-45 and prereqs.

UMinn is on my OOS list. So are Iowa, Ohio, Kansas, Wisconsin.

Someone talk a terrified small town girl and her husband with nice cars that are used to having a backyard into living in Pomona, and I'll add Western.

Someone convince me that Starkville doesn't live up to it's name in the most serious sense, and that I won't mind not being able to wear jeans and a Threadless tee to class, and I'll consider Mississippi.

Illinois, Louisiana? Is Mizzou a waste of my time with the GPA strictness? I know nothing about Washington or Oregon. Is Colorado even a chance?

Last edited:
There are plenty of nice cute towns AROUND pomona. Have you ever visited the area? The two times I've been I've spent in claremont. Cute quiet little city. Don't let pomona scare you off. I'm not exactly a city person either, but I lived in chicago for a year and i loved my safe little nook of the city.

I applied as an oos to illinois last year and was told I got knocked out in the first round because the gpa cutoff was so high that year (3.5 I believe). Phase one is all about gre and gpa.

Last edited:
Okay, so HOW MUCH can the GRE help? Say I made like a 1400, which may be unrealistic - is that even enough to make up for a 3.0? Or is that even how it works?

I have never been to CA.

COME TO WESTERN!!!! :D:D:D lol There are some amazing vets from all areas of vet med on staff...

I don't know if they have a formula for the gpa/gre or if they judge each part individually.

TwelveTigers,

The odds don't always work how you think they will. I got rejected from my IS, where I was only compared against 265 other IS applicants, but got into two OOS schools, where I was up against over 1000 applicants.

I also have a lower GPA (somewhere between 3.0 and 3.2 depending on how its calculated,) and high GRE scores (550/760/5.5) and I think the higher scores definitely helped me, especially with KS. Each school evaluates candidates completely differently, and while one may immediately put you in the reject pile, another might think you're just what they want.

Definitely try Western next time around. Even if you don't like bigger cities, you only need to tolerate it for 4 years (or 3 if you do your last year rotations somewhere else.) I hated Manhattan KS, but I would've been more than willing to tough it out there in order to get my DVM.

If you bump your GRE up enough, maybe try Michigan.

Someone convince me that Starkville doesn't live up to it's name in the most serious sense, and that I won't mind not being able to wear jeans and a Threadless tee to class, and I'll consider Mississippi.

It isn't a bad place, promise! We toured there over winter break. They have some cool stuff going for the (personal desks on campus, staff, 2 +2 program, great externship connections.)

Do you have a semester where you rocked (3.8) a heavy science course load? I am convinced a couple of upper science loaded high GPA semesters did alot for me.)

Yes, missouri is a waste of time. figured out this yr they care a lot about GPA and have one of the highest avg GPA for accepted applicants.

I just dont think taking the GRE again, spending another 250? (i forgot) is not worth it. what are the chances you can raise your score again? what if it drops? also, i think 3 times is enough. If anything, try to take some upper level sciences and ace the **** outta them. It probably won't raise your GPA that much but at least they can see that you can do it.

You have a ton of experience!! I wish you applied to OOS schools this yr :( Well, you may think it is a long shot...i dunno, but penn LOVES research/lab and would really appreciate you wanting to go into pathology. I would try to set up a phone meeting with Rob in the admissions office. He is SUPER nice. If you can set up a phone meeting then email him your resume/experience and hours+stats and see what he says. Actually, if you could get Mr. Keiter (dean of admissions) that would be even better lol. He is also soooooooo nice!!! He interviewed me and loved talking about my research and future goals. Anyway, see what they say and maybe it is worth applying there.

And yea, apply to at least 5 OOS schools because you never know!! i totally lucked out with IL and PA interviews, i wasnt expecting them at all!!! i got waitlisted for my IS lol also wasn't expecting that! I cant wait to see my file review in May

TT Oregon is super awesome. My cousin went there and loved it, at the tme he went you had to do your clinicals at Washington state because the school didnt have the capacity for clinicals. But it has improved and now you get to stay just at Oregon State. It is in the middle of a very cute town Corvallis. I am not sure how outdoorsy you are but there are a lot of awesome places close by, mountains, lakes, cool bike trails etc. The town itself does have somewhat of a college feel, but it is more like an "Active Young Adult Feel." The campus is a very pretty and you dont have to deal with snow! On the otherhand I hope you like rain ;] The downside is that since the class size is very small there are not a lot of OOS that get in.

Also of note: Also it is closeish to some bigger cities so your hubby could probably find a job relatively easily. The town itself is safe so the nice cars should be fine! If you want to live a little distance from the school you would be able to get a house with a backyard with out losing an arm and a leg.

As you can see I LOVE Oregon :]

Washington- Another school I Adore

WARNING-this may be biast because my dad and grandpa both went to Washington state Vet school.

The town is super in the middle of no where! The next closest "big city" would be Spokane. The weather gets really cold and you get a fair amount of snow....(my mom tells stories of walking multiple miles to school in a few feet of snow) But it is very nice during the spring and fall. The school itself went through some renovations a few years back and for a while people actually had to use the MRI at the vet school. AKA Awesome facility. The people of Washington are very laid back but there is a lot of school spirit....which you are probably used to.

I love both of these schools sooooo much and would be so happy with a chance to go to either of them. But they are not known for letting in tons of OOSers and I am from Cali. Anyways I hope this helps!

Also, if your GPA trend is generally upward, consider at places like Minnesota, which doesn't even consider cumulative GPA, only last-45 and prereqs.

You're my hero. I had no idea about this!!

I never really "rocked" any one semester. It's a shame. I haven't been full-time for at least two years because in order to get a job at a clinic here, you HAVE to be able to work mornings AND afternoons. I regret it now, but I have these 6 credits I'm earning now and then I graduate in May with my B.S. in Zoology. Any extra courses would be postbacc, and I'm not sure how that works, or if I should go for a masters instead.

Lol trocarkarin, Manhattan = Stillwater. We're opposite. :hungover:

The GRE is $150. I dunno if it's worth it for me, but I'll have some time this summer to take it if needed.

Penn is so expensive too! :( I dunno.

I would re-take the GRE and study really hard for it, just because I'm the kind of person that would always wonder what if it was my GRE and had I just spent that money and tried. I would also take an extra class or two per semester, just something upper-level to ace that will make this coming year look extra good. and then maybe try something random and unique that will totally stand out in your application, something you've never done before!

TwelveTigers,

The odds don't always work how you think they will. I got rejected from my IS, where I was only compared against 265 other IS applicants, but got into two OOS schools, where I was up against over 1000 applicants.

Seconded. I applied to four schools and got interviews everywhere BUT my IS. Go figure. You seem to have an outstanding amount of experience, TwelveTigers, and since the rest of your stats aren't bad I think you'd have excellent chances if you applied to schools whose admissions evaluations give more weight to your strong points.

As for the GRE, I think that probably depends on what schools you apply to as well. Kansas, for example, say they choose who to invite to interviews based on gpa and GRE, with GRE carrying a little more weight. For schools doing that (or something similar) it would seem that having a high GRE could be very advantageous.

I'm in the same situation as tiger.

Low GPA, okay GRE which I plan to retake this spring summer. TONS of diverse experience and good LORs. Basically my numbers suck. I haven't taken animal nutrition so I know that limits some places.

So this cycle I'll apply to Western, Miss, Ohio, Kansas, I'll still apply a second time to UPenn (research) and Tufts (IS)

I've been reading on the AAVMAC website about schools but can never remember my thoughts...

Taking animal nutrition online is very doable and a lot of people do it that way - you might consider that if you want to apply a couple more places.

So, what's better, a master's or just a big heap of heavy science courses (post bacc) to help my last 45? I have 20 between last semester and now... Or would the master's be more impressive? I need to see what's available to me before I choose, but best case scenario?

COME TO WESTERN!!!! :D:D:D lol There are some amazing vets from all areas of vet med on staff...

I don't know if they have a formula for the gpa/gre or if they judge each part individually.

They have a minimum acceptable GPA (it is a little below 3.0) where they will reject before interview stage. Once you make it to interview stage, they do not look at GPA/GRE again.

I'm in the same situation as tiger.

Low GPA, okay GRE which I plan to retake this spring summer. TONS of diverse experience and good LORs. Basically my numbers suck. I haven't taken animal nutrition so I know that limits some places.

So this cycle I'll apply to Western, Miss, Ohio, Kansas, I'll still apply a second time to UPenn (research) and Tufts (IS)

I've been reading on the AAVMAC website about schools but can never remember my thoughts...

Oh hey there, Same Person As Me! :p I'm planning on Western, Miss, Kansas, Colorado, Tuskegee, Western and VMRCVM (IS).

So, what's better, a master's or just a big heap of heavy science courses (post bacc) to help my last 45? I have 20 between last semester and now... Or would the master's be more impressive? I need to see what's available to me before I choose, but best case scenario?

Master's probably, as it's more focused. Is there something like a Pathology master's?

Also the courses would probably be easier to get into. Post-bacc courses at A&M are hard to get into, part of that is they're few and far in between.

No, nothing like that. Not that I know of. Maybe other things that have a little path in them, like parasitology or something. I haven't been able to look into it too much, especially since I didn't get the answer I expected the other day...

So if your GPA is at least minimum, you get an interview? Or am I misunderstanding?
I'm not positive, but yes I think you may be misunderstanding that statement. For most schools that I know about they usually state it pretty clear that just because you meet the minimum gpa requirement doesn't mean you'll be interviewed/accepted. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

No, nothing like that. Not that I know of. Maybe other things that have a little path in them, like parasitology or something. I haven't been able to look into it too much, especially since I didn't get the answer I expected the other day...

I'd tell that person to shove it (ok maybe I would because I don't have to associate with the school/him). But seriously how many people here have been told they'd 'never make it'?

Take his advice with a grain of salt, then get back to what you really want to be doing.

So if your GPA is at least minimum, you get an interview? Or am I misunderstanding?

No they look at everything from the start, but there is a cutt off for GPA/GRE which if you don't get past, you will not get an interview.

Another bonus for Western - AWESOME shopping, wherever you go. A hop, skip, and a jump from Ontario which has a HUGE mall, and close enough to beaches and attractions you could go any given weekend(provided you have the time). Weather's not QUITE as perfect because its on the wrong side of the hills, but any winter that's 60 - 70 during the day and high 40s/low 50s at night I'd be happy to take. Pomona is a little crowded, but most of So Cal is ;)

Honestly, if I didn't get in this cycle my intention was to take my missing public speaking class and apply their next year as well. For me, the added bonus is I have family relatively close by and friends that I grew up there with.

Plus, Island's Burgers! And REAL Mexican food!! And Chicago's pizza.... I think I'm drooling now...

Another bonus for Western - AWESOME shopping, wherever you go. A hop, skip, and a jump from Ontario which has a HUGE mall, and close enough to beaches and attractions you could go any given weekend(provided you have the time). Weather's not QUITE as perfect because its on the wrong side of the hills, but any winter that's 60 - 70 during the day and high 40s/low 50s at night I'd be happy to take. Pomona is a little crowded, but most of So Cal is ;)

Honestly, if I didn't get in this cycle my intention was to take my missing public speaking class and apply their next year as well. For me, the added bonus is I have family relatively close by and friends that I grew up there with.

Plus, Island's Burgers! And REAL Mexican food!! And Chicago's pizza.... I think I'm drooling now...

oh man Island's soooo good! I just went there for the first time yesterday. I have been missing out! There chocolate milkshakes are so good.

I have a question for all you Western guys and gals. What exactly is PBL? I have heard that it is very computer based but I really don't know anything about the program.

Taking animal nutrition online is very doable and a lot of people do it that way - you might consider that if you want to apply a couple more places.

Pros for a masters: If you're into research, you'll get a bunch of experience there. If you need a back-up plan, this might help you into more opportunities later. You'll get a fancy diploma to hang on your wall.

I'd say if you have a subject you really love and you'd like to spend a year focusing on it, and can think of a way that it will help your vet-school app, then go for the Masters-- I think it's more useful in the long run. However if you don't have a certain passion or can't find the right program, don't go for the Masters just to up your GPA because you can just take random classes to up the GPA. That's just my opinion on it!