Schools that emphasize working with underserved populations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cke11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if y'all knew of any schools that are big on service to the underserved or have stated it in their mission statements and like applicants that want to serve that population. Similar to the UC Prime Programs or Cal Med who has stated in their mission they hope to create physicians that work with underserved. One of my volunteer coordinators approached me, as they know I've been wanting to work with the underserved as a physician, and offered to write a letter of rec outlining my commitment and leadership experiences in working with the underserved so I'm trying to see which schools I can send that letter too or should I just send it to all my schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if y'all knew of any schools that are big on service to the underserved or have stated it in their mission statements and like applicants that want to serve that population. Similar to the UC Prime Programs or Cal Med who has stated in their mission they hope to create physicians that work with underserved. One of my volunteer coordinators approached me, as they know I've been wanting to work with the underserved as a physician, and offered to write a letter of rec outlining my commitment and leadership experiences in working with the underserved so I'm trying to see which schools I can send that letter too or should I just send it to all my schools?

Certainly in CA, all of them have a vested interest in these communities (except maybe one).
Volunteer coordinators tend not to be the highest impact LoE's, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
BU
Albany
Keck
Tulane
Gtown
Drexel
Rush
Loyola
Netter

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly in CA, all of them have a vested interest in these communities (except maybe one).
Volunteer coordinators tend not to be the highest impact LoE's, though.

Is this Stanford lmao.

I would argue all of the Texas schools as well, particularly those close to the border. TX has a very heavy in state bias though.

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to Gtown and Loyola look at SLU and Creighton. They are all Jesuit schools and all huge on service.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, all schools will, to some extent, value service and leadership in an application. If you feel that it is an important part of your application, and if you aren’t already overencumbered with too many letters, you should include her letter in your application to all schools you apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all! Appreciate the schools I can add to my list!

Florida State med 100%. EXTREMELY focused mission statement for helping underserved and vulnerable populations. It is also easier to get in to compared to other MD schools, especially if you are truly committed to that route in medicine.
Florida State only interviewed 4 OOS applicants :( I'm from CA so looks like that'll be a no go, but you are very right they seem very invested in the underserved!