Schools that have an emphasis on education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamcokedreamboat

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, I tried searching but couldn't find a similar thread. Does anyone know of any schools that put an emphasis on education? I have a lot of tutoring and teaching in my application. Education is something I'm passionate about and influenced my journey to medicine, and I think it comes across in my application. I'm trying to make my school list right now and find schools whose missions I "fit", so that's why I was looking for this guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Education as in patient education? Or medical education?
I'm interested in both, but I guess my question is about medical education. Personally I thought patient education would be something that everyone learns, both as a student and working as a doctor (but I could be wrong about that)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been asked, I tried searching but couldn't find a similar thread. Does anyone know of any schools that put an emphasis on education? I have a lot of tutoring and teaching in my application. Education is something I'm passionate about and influenced my journey to medicine, and I think it comes across in my application. I'm trying to make my school list right now and find schools whose missions I "fit", so that's why I was looking for this guidance.
Are you really a reapplicant with a 528/4.0? If so, something else is going on besides failing to identify schools that put an emphasis on education.

Tell me about it... 528/4.0 and just got the R :( I completed my secondaries kinda late and this the second school I've heard back from, I just hope this isn't a sign that I have a big R storm coming

I'm interested in both, but I guess my question is about medical education. Personally I thought patient education would be something that everyone learns, both as a student and working as a doctor (but I could be wrong about that)
Isn't the whole point of medical school to educate future physicians? :)

I think you are really asking about schools that value community service (tutoring). While your interest in teaching might add to the diversity of a class, I doubt there is a list of schools that actively seek out teachers.

Again, without trying to be a wiseguy, unless you were trolling the NYU thread, or I totally misunderstood your post there, I think your time would be better spent figuring out what went wrong with an application featuring perfect stats and a balanced school list (NYU, Chicago, Miami, UCF, BU) than looking for schools that have a thing for teachers.

I'm trying to make my school list right now and find schools whose missions I "fit", so that's why I was looking for this guidance.
All US medical schools are devoted to medical education (with rare exceptions). I don't think this will help with a mission fit...

Reactions: 4 users
Umich has an academic medicine track or something iirc

I just looked it up and that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot :)

Also, does anyone know how I can make my profile private? I don't post here much and I can't figure it out 😅

Reactions: 1 user
Based on everyone's responses, it seems like my question was poorly formulated. I think I have a better idea of what I'm looking for now though, so thanks for your help :)

I just looked it up and that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot :)

Also, does anyone know how I can make my profile private? I don't post here much and I can't figure it out 😅
Yours is already private from my end haha. Good luck!

Dang, KnightDoc must have some ninja skills then haha. I won't let it bother me then, thanks for the heads-up. And good luck to you too!
just fyi, there are still ways to search posts by a certain user even if their profile itself is private. As with all things on the internet, it’s worth assuming everything can be tied back to you.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Regardless, wherever you go to med school, you will be required to teach. Small groups, 4th yr mentoring 3rd yrs, residents will be required to teach if med students are on service. Academic faculty are always welcome to participate in pre clinical and clinical teaching. I would focus on eventually seeking an academic appointment down the road. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, KnightDoc must have some ninja skills then haha. I won't let it bother me then, thanks for the heads-up. And good luck to you too!
I’m not saying the comment was nice, but maybe it can be a segue for us to help you further if you’re a reapplicant with those stats. If its something you don’t want to post about, I’ll understand. I do think someone needs to look over your app and ask you a few things to see what may be holding you back.

I’m not saying the comment was nice, but maybe it can be a segue for us to help you further if you’re a reapplicant with those stats. If its something you don’t want to post about, I’ll understand. I do think someone needs to look over your app and ask you a few things to see what may be holding you back.
That was the whole point! :)

OP already posted about it. Either the post I found was a troll, and they never previously applied, let alone got rejected everywhere with a 528/4.0, a joke I didn't understand, or a sign that the answer to OP's issue is not finding a school with an emphasis on education. I really was trying to help, not invade anyone's privacy by referencing a public post.

I certainly did not know it when I tried to help yesterday, but my vote now, based on the reaction, is that OP is not a 528/4.0 reapplicant seeking advice on schools emphasizing education.

OP already posted about it. Either the post I found was a troll, a joke I didn't understand, or a sign that the answer to OP's issue is not finding a school with an emphasis on education. I really was trying to help, not invade anyone's privacy by referencing a public post.
I understood the intent but I don’t think OP did, based on your delivery, so I expressed it differently.

They posted about their stats and not getting an interview, not about being a reapplicant or what issues they or their app may have. That’s why I said if they don’t wanna go there publicly I get it. They don’t have to.

Reactions: 2 users

OP already posted about it. Either the post I found was a troll, and they never previously applied, let alone got rejected everywhere with a 528/4.0, a joke I didn't understand, or a sign that the answer to OP's issue is not finding a school with an emphasis on education. I really was trying to help, not invade anyone's privacy by referencing a public post.

I certainly did not know it when I tried to help yesterday, but my vote now, based on the reaction, is that OP is not a 528/4.0 reapplicant seeking advice on schools emphasizing education.
I understood the intent but I don’t think OP did, based on your delivery, so I expressed it differently.

They posted about their stats and not getting an interview, not about being a reapplicant or what issues they or their app may have. That’s why I said if they don’t wanna go there publicly I get it. They don’t have to.

Hey guys,

I appreciate both of your responses, and I guess I can clarify a little bit. I made my profile private and I don't like to share my stats with people I don't know since (in addition to the fear of being doxxed) I feel like once I mention them, they stop treating me as a person and treat me instead as a "528/4.0 guy". This has especially true online, where you can easily forget the humanity behind a screen name, and the application process already feels dehumanizing enough. I didn't mention my stats in this post, so it just rubbed me the wrong way when one of my old replies (the only one where I mention my stats) was dug up like that. I don't think KnightDoc had any bad intentions and I'm not upset, I just thought I'd explain why I ignored his post like that. I do sincerely appreciate everyone who has responded to this post and tried to help me out, including KnightDoc. I know you have nothing to gain from helping me and that it's only for my benefit.

I have discussed my previous app with a few people, and it seems like my main issues were poor essays and applying very, very late (I submitted my secondaries from late September to mid-October). Unlike most people on these forums, I'm not super savvy about the application process, so at the time I didn't realize how important those two factors were. I rewrote my essays (among other changes) and have already submitted my primary for this cycle, and I right now I'm working on expanding my school list and pre-writing secondaries. I would appreciate some guidance on the school list part, but I've avoided posting about it up to now due to the concern that I mentioned (people seeing only my stats and not seeing "me"). After this exchange though I do think that I might make a post about it, so I appreciate both of your help and encouragement.

Reactions: 2 users
If you really want help make a post in WAMC using this link.

Reactions: 3 users
Rochester and UMass both have medical education pathways that have a focus on training future academic medicine educators/teachers if that's what you were referring to!

The realistic answer, however, is to just get into the most prestigious school possible. Academic medicine is notoriously prestige-driven, so you would be better off going to a school ranked 10 without a meded program than you would be going to a school ranked 80 that has one

Rochester and UMass both have medical education pathways that have a focus on training future academic medicine educators/teachers if that's what you were referring to!
Awesome! Rochester is one that I was already considering, and that program definitely makes me more interested. Thanks for the help! :)

The realistic answer, however, is to just get into the most prestigious school possible. Academic medicine is notoriously prestige-driven, so you would be better off going to a school ranked 10 without a meded program than you would be going to a school ranked 80 that has one
Hmmm, that's quite interesting. Personally I haven't had much exposure to academic medicine, so I didn't know that was the case. Getting into a T10 school would be nice, but hopefully I'll be able to find a way to make it work in either case.

Do you happen to know the name of that program at UMass Chan or could you drop a link? Trying to find it, but not having any luck