Schools that heavily weigh GRE scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrokenDancer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly low GPA (and am in the process of re-taking pre-reqs to help improve that), but my GRE score is high. Does anyone know of any schools that heavily weigh the GRE when reviewing apps, giving me more of a fighting chance at getting in? I've heard a lot of schools basically disregard it as long as you obtain the minimum score, I'd ideally want to find a school that values it as much or more than the GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

How low is your GPA? Im pretty sure all schools will be GPA > GRE. Certain schools may look at GRE more than others. But I am pretty sure, within the school... They would emphasize GPA over GRE.

My cumulative GPA is 3.0, and that will never significantly rise because I've taken over 200 credits . My pre-req GPA is a bit higher, but hard to put a number on since every school is different. I read on another thread on here that U of Indianapolis has GRE as the most important factor, so I was hoping to find other schools that were the same or similar. I realize it's unlikely, but I figured applying to schools that put heavy stock in it would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could look at schools that look at your last 60/90 credits. Also as far as GRE you should check out schools that use a formula to rank the applicants most schools like that consider the GRE a third of the application which is ALOT

Is there any way to know which schools use a formula to rank applicants? I've been all over the PTCAS and CAPTE program summaries as well as program websites, that stuff doesn't seem to be listed anywhere for the most part.

I don't know too many schools that emphasize the GRE more than GPA. I know plenty of students who made up for a poor GRE with a high GPA. If I were you, I would re-take the GRE and apply to schools you think you might want to go to. It's impossible to determine how schools select their applicants, or how much weight they put on the GRE.

Kevin

I don't know too many schools that emphasize the GRE more than GPA. I know plenty of students who made up for a poor GRE with a high GPA. If I were you, I would re-take the GRE and apply to schools you think you might want to go to. It's impossible to determine how schools select their applicants, or how much weight they put on the GRE.

Kevin
I think you might have misread my first post - I'm in the opposite situation of most students on here, I have a quite high GRE score already, so re-taking it would be kind of pointless.

Were you able to find any schools that matched what you were looking for? I am in a very similar situation. My cumulative GPA is a 3.0, and my pre-req is only a 3.15. But, my GRE scores are 154, 158, and 4.5.

For reference, I have a about the same GPA and got a 158, 161, 5.0 on the GRE.

Angelo State University posted their formula for how they evaluate applicants, and it seems to weigh the GRE quite heavily. So much so that I qualified for early admission and I have an interview with them soon.

I also went on PTCAS and tried to find schools that had both a high average accepted GRE and reasonable/low average accepted GPA but focused more on the average GPA so wound up eliminating them all either because of that or location (I have some health issues with extremes in weather/rainy places). The only two I didn't eliminate were Franklin Pierce (who already rejected me) and Columbia (my dream/reach school).

I've read conflicting things on how St. Augustine values the GRE (some people say they don't care, others said they heard it was the #1 criteria), but I have an interview at their San Marcos campus next month, so you might want to look into them as well.

I made a chart of every accredited school in the nation and found their average accepted GPA and got rid of basically anything above a 3.4, figuring I'd be thrown out immediately. I also compiled all the stats on the GPA/GRE/Acceptances thread and listed everybody that had similar-ish stats to me and tallied up where they applied and their results. Some of them don't mention in that post though that they have insanely high post-bac GPAs or last 60 hr GPAs and what-not, so it's not perfect, but if you want to PM me I can give you my analysis.

Wow! I'm very impressed with your research! I am totally a spreadsheet nut so I completely appreciate the effort you took. Great strategy! Thank you for the info and I will definitely PM you. I applied to USA because I went to high school in Austin. Hadn't considered Angelo State because of the location, but at this point my biggest priority is just getting in somewhere! I've only gotten two denials, but I know they should be coming soon.... Thanks again!

Someone else asked me for my findings as well and I figure a bunch of people may want them, so I'm posting them. Keep in mind that I tried to look for people with a GPA similar to mine, but sometimes they'd have a 4.0 for their last 60 hours or something and you wouldn't find out until you'd dig through all their posts (which I sometimes did after I did this analysis), so given the small sample size, it may not be all that accurate. Also, a lot of people would post their initial plans and not follow up with results, so everything's kind of incomplete. Nonetheless, here's what I found:

Most promising:
UNE had 6 people apply, 6 interview, and of those, 5 were accepted.
Touro Nevada 6 applied, 3 accepted, 1, rejected, 1 waitlisted, and 1 not reported.
Touro Bayshore/Manhattan 7 applied. 4 accepted, 1 waitlisted, 1 rejected, 1 not reported.
USA 14 applied, 9 interviewed and of those 7 were accepted and 1 waitlisted. Rest not reported.
Rosalind Franklin 7 applied, 5 interviewed and of those 4 were waitlisted and the other didn't report. - considering how many were waitlisted rather than accepted, I question how large their waitlist is and how they do things.

Possibly promising:
UM-Flint I read is good for low GPA people. 3 applied, 2 accepted.
Sam Merritt 9 applied. 3 rejected, 3 interviewed of which 1 accepted (other 2 not reported).
NY Medical College had 6 applicants, 1 rejected, 3 interviewed, 2 accepted (other 1 not reported).
LIU 7 applied, 4 interviewed and of those 2 waitlisted and 1 accepted (other 1 not reported).

Other schools that had large numbers of applicants but not enough to really draw conclusions or results didn't look great
AT Still (8 applied, 3 rejected, 2 interviewed, 1 accepted, other not reported)
Dominican (5 applied, no results reported)
Franklin Pierce (9 applied, 1 rejected, 1 waitlisted, 2 accepted)
George Washington (9 applied, 2 rejected, 3 interviewed, all 3 waitlisted)
Mount St Mary's (5 applied, 2 rejected, 1 waitlisted)
Western U (11 applied, 4 interviewed, 2 waitlisted, 1 accepted, other interviewee not reported).

I also broke it down by 2012 applicants vs 2013 applicants. Unfortunately there wasn't enough data to really show any trends.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Central Arkansas weighs GRE twice as heavily as GPA!

I have similar stats, I hate being on the fence in this situation. Most low GPA applicants that are successful claim it was their LORs and essay that got them in. I've also heard that a high GRE can excuse a low cGPA.

cGPA: 3.08 (highest grade) 2.89 (PTCAS)
preGPA: 3.6x (highest grade) 3.06(PTCAS)
GRE : 158q 155v 4.0w
I really think i did a good job on my essay. I'm also worried because my extracurriculars suck, but i'm hoping my work experience helps me.