Schools that move people off "hold" status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaguy32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if these schools move people into the interview category once put on hold:

University of Chicago
UPenn
UMichigan
UCSD

I've been accepted elsewhere, but I really would like to interview here... anyone heard of being offered an interview after being put on hold first?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's add GWU to the list.

Yes, stupid GW

Members don't see this ad :)
Nas23 said:
If anyone knows what schools do move people off the 'hold' list, just list them here.

UCSD moves people off the hold list

How do you know if you are on hold at UMich? My app has been "under review" since early August with no status change.

qr321 said:
How do you know if you are on hold at UMich? My app has been "under review" since early August with no status change.

You're not on hold yet. Your status page will actually say- "your current status is "hold""

I got an interview invite from GW last year after first being placed on the hold list. I sent them a letter of interest first, and a week or two later received an invite. I didn't end up going on the interview though, because by then I had been offered an acceptance to one of my top choices (OHSU, where I'm currently attending). Good luck, sending a letter never hurts (although out of 6 or 7 such letters I sent out last year, they were the only one to offer me an interview afterwards).

I am on hold pre-interview at U Michigan, Case Western, GWU, and Drexel. I hope I get an interview to at least one of these schools (hopefully U Michigan). :) Wish me Luck.

Word is that for most applicants a pre-interview hold at Penn is simply a delayed rejection...

studentstudent said:

I had my interview at UCSD in September. The dean of admissions said that about half the people they eventually accept have been taken off the "hold" list. Hope that helps!

What about UCSF and penn state?

drlalchick said:
I had my interview at UCSD in September. The dean of admissions said that about half the people they eventually accept have been taken off the "hold" list. Hope that helps!

eh? one of us definitely heard wrong.

because i heard straight from the dean's mouth at the interview that half of the waitlist end up getting accepted.

theunderdog said:
eh? one of us definitely heard wrong.

because i heard straight from the dean's mouth at the interview that half of the waitlist end up getting accepted.

waitlist or acceptable pool?
..and does anyone know the difference?

UCSD is playing hard to get with me. first, I was on pre-interview hold. then once i interviewed, they put me in the acceptable pool. they must really want me. :rolleyes:

drlalchick said:

aha i hope this is true.

argonana said:
aha i hope this is true.

I don't know about what happens with the waitlist. The dean just answered someone's question on what "hold" meant, and she made it clear that it wasn't something to really worry about (why someone already at the interview was worried, I don't know), since they end up accepting tons of holds.

uclaguy32 said:
Do you guys know if these schools move people into the interview category once put on hold:

University of Chicago
UPenn
UMichigan
UCSD

I've been accepted elsewhere, but I really would like to interview here... anyone heard of being offered an interview after being put on hold first?

I got off hold at uchicago....but special circumstances and
i was in chicago at that time and they were really nice to re-review my app and give me an interview

drlalchick said:
I don't know about what happens with the waitlist. The dean just answered someone's question on what "hold" meant, and she made it clear that it wasn't something to really worry about (why someone already at the interview was worried, I don't know), since they end up accepting tons of holds.

maybe that person was worried about a friend or something. it does seem odd.
anyway, you've been accepted, right?! congratulations!! :D

argonana said:
maybe that person was worried about a friend or something. it does seem odd.
anyway, you've been accepted, right?! congratulations!! :D

Oh thanks! I think I might be considering a different school though!

downstate definitely does. i think that half of COM' 09 got in off the hold list. good luck ya'll.

Does anyone know if UPenn ever lets people off pre-interview hold?