Schools that only require 1 semester of Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horses4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just went through (nearly) every single medical school's pre-requisites on their website and it looks like 93 of those 138 only require 1 semester of Organic Chemistry (most require 1 semester Biochemistry in place of the 2nd semester of Organic Chemistry, though some don't require Organic Chemistry at all anymore). Its also trending this way, as many medical schools revisit their current requirements/recommendations.

A shortened sequence of Organic Chemistry (8 quarter credit hours instead of the full-length 12 quarter credit hours, though the same additional 6 quarter credit hours of lab) is my only option right now because of schedule constraints. What is everyone's opinion on applying with less than a year of Organic Chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying without something and matriculating without something are different conversations. Do you mind clarifying?

I guess applying without. I'm an older post bacc student and plan to start working in healthcare consulting (again) once I finish these classes in December. I want to take a couple of evening / flex classes over the next 1-2 years (ex. genetics) as I've found some options from teachers who are willing to work with me but organic chemistry just won't work with a professional schedule.

I could say I'll take another quarter if I'm accepted and before matriculation, but I'd really prefer not to. This "shortened sequence" is a condensed version of the typical 3 quarter sequence and two-thirds the credits (8 credits over the summer versus 12 credits for the full year, plus 6 quarter lab credits with either choice) and it wouldn't even make sense content-wise to throw on an extra quarter because I'll have already covered that content just at a bit higher level.

I'll have in total 3 quarters General Chemistry all with lab (15 quarter credits), 2 quarters Organic Chemistry both with lab (14 quarter credits), and 2 quarters Biochemistry no lab (10 quarter credits) ---- in addition to your typical 1 year physics with lab, 1 year bio with lab, several years of math/stat/humanities (I was a finance/econ major in undergrad).

So many people trying to avoid orgo... It is a right of passage to manhood... and womanhood

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So many people trying to avoid orgo... It is a right of passage to manhood... and womanhood

I'm not trying to avoid it. I just would have to give up a job offer to start in December if I can't take this summer sequence...... and that job offer is most definitely going to prepare me more for applications / med school / medicine than an extra 4 credits of Organic Chemistry.

I'm not trying to avoid it. I just would have to give up a job offer to start in December if I can't take this summer sequence...... and that job offer is most definitely going to prepare me more for applications / med school / medicine than an extra 4 credits of Organic Chemistry.
My orgo class at uni is 3 credits excluding lab. I'd do both. No pain no gain.

You may need the entire year for the MCAT exam. If you avoid taking part 2, you can still learn it through Khan Academy.