Schools that pay for second visits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brock Samson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
stanford is another one i THINK

i would say 0 public schools do it, but not sure

Schools that DO pay for second visits:
Johns Hopkins University
Stanford University
Vanderbilt University

Schools that DO NOT pay for second visits:
University of Florida

I think that CCLCM falls in this category too, but I'd need confirmation for that one.
Consider it confirmed. :)

I'm not sure what the amounts are now, but when I came for second look three years ago, we got free hotel, meals, and $200 travel expenses from CCLCM.

• CCLCM (amount?)
  • Johns Hopkins University (amount?)
  • Stanford University (amount?)
  • UCSF (pays for 1/2)
  • Vanderbilt University (amount?)

• University of Florida

Maybe some URMs know for sure, but I believe that some schools have special revisits for URMs and pay for travel...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe some URMs know for sure, but I believe that some schools have special revisits for URMs and pay for travel...

Harvard has an entire separate revisit for URMs where they pay for at least the flight.

Also, some schools will give either URMs or anyone who claims that it's a hardship or both some money to help with revisit. I don't know if that's official policy you can find out about, or if you just have to ask and see if you can catch someone on a good day.

UNC does not, although its not a biggie since 85% are IS and its only a one day thing.

Last edited:
Johns Hopkins University
Stanford University
Vanderbilt University

University of Florida
University of Miami

Should I be sad that I don't know what a second visit is?

dont be sad, i didn't know what it was till a couple weeks ago. its basically just a weekend during which the school invites people they have accepted to come take a more in depth look at their school. normally folks get accepted to more than one school, so its a way to try and convince you that you should choose their school over some other school.

• Case Western
  • CCLCM (amount?)
  • UCSF (pays for 1/2)

• University of Florida
  • University of Miami
  • UNC
  • UVA
  • Every other school by default

Wait I'm a little confused. So you guys are saying that Vandy pays for second look but I just contacted them and the lady said they won't pay for the flight and only pay for your hotel accomodations...is that the standard? Is Case the same way? I was under the impression that some of these schools covered ALL costs (flight, hotels, meals etc.) - is this not true? What about Stanford?

Thanks.

• Case Western
  • CCLCM (amount?)
  • UCSF (pays for 1/2)

• University of Florida
  • University of Miami
  • UNC
  • UVA
  • Every other school by default
haha, i think this defeats the purpose of the list

Wait I'm a little confused. So you guys are saying that Vandy pays for second look but I just contacted them and the lady said they won't pay for the flight and only pay for your hotel accomodations...is that the standard? Is Case the same way? I was under the impression that some of these schools covered ALL costs (flight, hotels, meals etc.) - is this not true? What about Stanford?

Thanks.

Really? huh, I had the same impression that you did. Can anyone confirm this?

case puts you up in a hotel, and gives you food. they dont cover the cost of the plane/bus/car drive down to the school though. also, in terms of food and drinks, they dont pay for anything that you eat or drink out of the program (like say going to a bar in the city on your own time)

Look at the market... the Dow Jones average is a fraction of what it was a year ago. That's hurt schools endowment income and many anticipate fewer dollars from donors in the year ahead as the big donors feel a pinch, too. While it would be great to get a free "second visit", I wouldn't count on many schools offering those this year even if they have done so in the past. Figure on at few free meals but other than that, I think that economic hard times are taking their toll.

Look at the market... the Dow Jones average is a fraction of what it was a year ago. That's hurt schools endowment income and many anticipate fewer dollars from donors in the year ahead as the big donors feel a pinch, too. While it would be great to get a free "second visit", I wouldn't count on many schools offering those this year even if they have done so in the past. Figure on at few free meals but other than that, I think that economic hard times are taking their toll.

That was the discussion at Yale's financial aid seminar. Hopefully the lenders do not tighten their pursestrings even more, and restrict the availability of loans.

Also, I do not think Hopkins offers a free second look.

Totally understandable. :( But in that same vein, that means that fewer people will attend second looks, first because people are more likely to do things when they are free, and second because people have less disposable income to spend flying out to a school.

Totally understandable. :( But in that same vein, that means that fewer people will attend second looks, first because people are more likely to do things when they are free, and second because people have less disposable income to spend flying out to a school.

I suspect that some candidats are going to have fewer choices, too, because many will cancel subsequent interviews once they have an offer. This means that many applicants who had several schools to choose from may have only one or two. Second look isn't much of an issue if you have only one choice.

just confirmed--Vanderbilt "will not be able to pay for transportation as we had hoped"...this sucks..