Schools that request a first semester transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys, I applied for the 2009 cycle and the school I interviewed at is asking for a transcript showing grades from the first semester of senior year. I would consider myself a fairly borderline applicant for this school but my grades have been on the rise and another semester of good grades may be helpful. Do you think a school would take into account performance in these courses for the current application cycle? I was not sure as I feel the purpose of the transcript request is to make sure that accepted applicants have not completely fallen off grade wise rather than to assist students for whom a decision is pending.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I applied for the 2009 cycle and the school I interviewed at is asking for a transcript showing grades from the first semester of senior year. I would consider myself a fairly borderline applicant for this school but my grades have been on the rise and another semester of good grades may be helpful. Do you think a school would take into account performance in these courses for the current application cycle? I was not sure as I feel the purpose of the transcript request is to make sure that accepted applicants have not completely fallen off grade wise rather than to assist students for whom a decision is pending.

Fall semester grades can definetly help you if they are very good. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do many schools actually REQUIRE first semester transcripts to make a decision or are they just optional?

Do many schools actually REQUIRE first semester transcripts to make a decision or are they just optional?

Usually optional. If you have a borderline GPA, I think that an update may be expected if a decision has not yet been made or if you are on the waitlist. Some schools also require a transcript for this semester after having accepted you, just to make sure you are keeping your grades at an acceptable level.

One school actually requested to see my fall grades..and I haven't even gotten an interview yet! Is this normal?? (they dnt mind an unofficial transcript btw..so no amcas verification needed)

to above poster, i don't know how normal it is, but they're probably considering giving you an interview dependent on your doing well this semester. And if you've done well, then maybe they'll invite you for an interview? i'm just speculating here.