Schools that screen applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILoveSethMacfarlane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3 out of 4 of my in state schools screen applicants based of AAMC data. Specifically it's VCU, EVMS, and VA Tech. UVA doesn't screen but I have no chance of getting into that school so I will most likely be going out of state. I am not sure what the minimum GPA/MCAT threshold is those schools screen at. Should I email the schools and ask them individually? I don't think they will tell me because last time I emailed VCU, they said they do a hollistic review and that they don't screen applicants based off 1 factor of your application. Kinda bummed she just lied to my face :/ Does anyone know what the GPA minimums are?
From what I've read, EVMS does screen but I think it's still worth applying if you're interested in the school. The screening provides a general guideline, but I think they look more holistically at your application first. I received an interview from EVMS last cycle, and if they were only basing my application on the screening process this probably would not have happened. So, I would still recommend applying if it's a school you would like to attend.

From what I've read, EVMS does screen but I think it's still worth applying if you're interested in the school. The screening provides a general guideline, but I think they look more holistically at your application first. I received an interview from EVMS last cycle, and if they were only basing my application on the screening process this probably would not have happened. So, I would still recommend applying if it's a school you would like to attend.

Hm ok I guess I can apply and see what happens, it is a school I really want to attend. I am sure you passed the screens with your GPA though or had massive community service involvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, they all screen. Even if they look at the whole application certain GPA/MCAT combinations are going to deal breakers for a school.

Reactions: 2 users
3 out of 4 of my in state schools screen applicants based of AAMC data. Specifically it's VCU, EVMS, and VA Tech. UVA doesn't screen but I have no chance of getting into that school so I will most likely be going out of state. I am not sure what the minimum GPA/MCAT threshold is those schools screen at. Should I email the schools and ask them individually? I don't think they will tell me because last time I emailed VCU, they said they do a hollistic review and that they don't screen applicants based off 1 factor of your application. Kinda bummed she just lied to my face :/ Does anyone know what the GPA minimums are?
I suggest investing in MSAR Online, and target schools for whom your stats are closest to the median. Rule out schools where your stats are < their 10th %iles.

ALL med schools have a red line for stats. "Holistic review" is not a magic totem that means really bad stats will be ignored. it simply means that even apps in the reject pile will get a closer look.

With MSAR, pay VERY careful attention to IS vs OOS invites and matriculants int he Acceptance Information pages.

I mean, they all screen. Even if they look at the whole application certain GPA/MCAT combinations are going to deal breakers for a school.
I suggest investing in MSAR Online, and target schools for whom your stats are closest to the median. Rule out schools where your stats are < their 10th %iles.

ALL med schools have a red line for stats. "Holistic review" is not a magic totem that means really bad stats will be ignored. it simply means that even apps in the reject pile will get a closer look.

With MSAR, pay VERY careful attention to IS vs OOS invites and matriculants int he Acceptance Information pages.

It's so tricky because my GPA falls below the 10th percentile for both MD and most DO but my MCAT is in the 100th percentile for every school for MD and DO. I guess a post bacc would be in order unfortunately.

I meant to clarify that my GPA falls below the 10th percentile for MD and most DO and my MCAT is in the 100th percentile for both MD and DO.

It's so tricky because my GPA falls below the 10th percentile for both MD and most DO but my MCAT is in the 100th percentile for every school for MD and DO. I guess a post bacc would be in order unfortunately.
I meant to clarify that my GPA falls below the 10th percentile for MD and most DO and my MCAT is in the 100th percentile for both MD and DO.

How did you get your MCAT score when you haven't taken the exam yet? July 22nd MCAT

How late is this? Should I just apply next cycle? Everyone says the July 22nd MCAT is too late and I should not bother apply MD but still have a chance at DO. It's especially disheartening seeing everyone on here who already applied and I haven't even taken my MCAT yet :/ I will be verified way before August, but my application won't be complete until Aug 23rd (when my MCAT comes in). I don't know, I just don't feel like studying anymore if I might as well take my time studying, take the MCAT in December, and apply next year. Initially I didn't think I was too screwed, but after going online and reading various forums, I feel stupid now sitting here studying. What do you think?

Reactions: 2 users