Schools that screen pre-secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which are the schools that have a thorough screen pre-secondary? I'm not talking about minimum 3.0 GPA/25 MCAT screens, but actual holistic screens where they look at your application? Also does anyone know for these schools that do screen thoroughly, about what percentage of applicants receive secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience: Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt, UCLA, UCSF, Indiana, UNC. I am probably missing a lot though, but those are schools I applied to.

Wake Forest does, they were my only school I applied to that pre-screened. I think they screen for clinical experience and service? (What I remember from last year's threads)

EDIT: Maybe VCU, but I can't remember the particulars of that screen. It might have been just numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mizzou and Washington also screen pretty hard for OOS.

MSAR says Rush sends everyone a secondary.

VCU, EVMS, Virginia Tech, Wayne State, Quinnipiac, Illinois

UNC, Wayne State, and Drexel, that I know of
Drexel does not screen per the MSAR. Speaking of the MSAR, there is a report you can download that has all of this information in a nice PDF, so best bet is to pay up the $20 and then have this and a whole lot of information at your fingertips, gracias a the AAMC.

Drexel does not screen per the MSAR. Speaking of the MSAR, there is a report you can download that has all of this information in a nice PDF, so best bet is to pay up the $20 and then have this and a whole lot of information at your fingertips, gracias a the AAMC.
How can you download this from the MSAR??

It's in the top right hand corner of the MSAR. Click on it and it sends you to the PDF.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't know about the report, but msar in general is a life saver. definitely worth a few bucks in comparison to secondary fees, etc.

msar is all buggy right now for me.. won't load right.

It's worth noting that Mayo doesn't have a secondary application. One of the admissions reps at a Med School Fair in March 2013 told us that their criteria is GPA x 10 + MCAT has to be at least 60 I believe to pass the screen. It might have been 62 but I'm not positive.

It's worth noting that Mayo doesn't have a secondary application. One of the admissions reps at a Med School Fair in March 2013 told us that their criteria is GPA x 10 + MCAT has to be at least 60 I believe to pass the screen. It might have been 62 but I'm not positive.
lol so random. why wouldn't they just take the MCAT that they would like applicants to have and then add like a 3.5 to that score and say the applicants have to meet that? the x10 seems so arbitrary other than just making it a non decimal number IE 28 MCAT + 3.5 = 31.5 versus 63

lol so random. why wouldn't they just take the MCAT that they would like applicants to have and then add like a 3.5 to that score and say the applicants have to meet that? the x10 seems so arbitrary other than just making it a non decimal number IE 28 MCAT + 3.5 = 31.5 versus 63

I think they do it to make MCAT and GPA to weigh equally, I think they count on most people's GPA x 10 to be higher than their MCAT score.

Also, the rep noted that this was the biggest hurdle for non-traditional students but there was no way around it.

That's another way of saying the applicant has to have a LizzyM score of at least a 62. I think that's pretty low, but then again, they don't list any stats in the MSAR.

Is the screen to get a fee request or LOR request? My LizzyM score is a 68 and they gladly took my money but I haven't heard from the since :/

Is the screen to get a fee request or LOR request? My LizzyM score is a 68 and they gladly took my money but I haven't heard from the since :/

It's to get invited to pay $120 and send them your LOR's I believe.

UC Riverside also screen heavily for interest in rural medicine and California Inland Empire.

UC Riverside also screen heavily for interest in rural medicine and California Inland Empire.

If you live in IE you pretty much get a secondary from UC Riverside.

If you are an Indiana resident and apply to U of Indiana, are you guaranteed an ii?