Schools that won’t interview students with 3.8+ GPA/520 MCAT.

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Noorh

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenix628

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U Miami
Tulane
Oakland-B
Western MI
USF
Gtown
GWU
Rochester
Keck
U VM
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth
State schools in adjacent states

Additionally, what would be some good “safety schools” for applicants with high stats, but average/unremarkable ECs (besides their own state schools).

Reactions: kb1900
About the Ads

olderbrooklyndoc

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm not sure to what extent any of these rules is universally true. I'm a nontrad with those stats (so my status may be different), but I've gotten interviews at Hofstra and at state schools in states besides NY. I don't think there's any such thing, however, as "safety schools" in the med school process. They're all insanely competitive, and I've been really humbled by so many of the people I've met on the interview trail

YayPudding

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
My GPA is meh but my MCAT was high and I had a lot of research and ECs. I was promptly placed on pre-II hold at a handful of new DO and MD programs but received II from many of the old, well established DO schools and some in state MD. I think it was yield protection.

gonnif

Only 88 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U Miami
Tulane
Oakland-B
Western MI
USF
Gtown
GWU
Rochester
Keck
U VM
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth
I will have to disagree slightly with the right honorable gentleman from west of st. louis. If a outstanding student has strong reasons/ties for any specific school or area, he/she will have a reasonable chance at any school. For example. I have had a few outstanding non-trads, but married with families, who therefore applied to a very, very small number of school in specific area, such as Washington DC and went to GWU. I would also think in this era of financial concerns that more top students may be vying for state school solely on cost issues.

Reactions: happyfit and RTC19

_Nightlight_

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
As a high LizzyMer i've been surprised where I've gotten interviews (top schools, but also schools that I would have expected to "yield protect me"). As long as you are within or close the 90th percentile MCAT there don't worry about this.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I second the use of my rating system. Once you've come up with a list using that, post it in the WAMC forum along with your application and we'll help you tweak it.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. There are some schools on Goro's list that do interview those applicants, but not with regularity and there has to be something else that makes them seem "attainable". But in general, the list looks good.

Meccamputechture

'u '
2+ Year Member
May 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student
As a high LizzyMer i've been surprised where I've gotten interviews (top schools, but also schools that I would have expected to "yield protect me"). As long as you are within or close the 90th percentile MCAT there don't worry about this.
Unless you're Canadian like me. :(

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

metroidlonder

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student
BU
Hofstra
U Toledo
U Miami
Tulane
Oakland-B
Western MI
USF
Gtown
GWU
Rochester
Keck
U VM
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth
I disagree, in my experience Rochester places a high value on both stats and ECs as they have the luxury to do so

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you look at their medians and 10th%ile floor, they're more in the range of what I consider to be a good "safety" for Harvard/Yale caliber applicants.
I disagree, in my experience Rochester places a high value on both stats and ECs as they have the luxury to do so

About the Ads