Schools that would accept 0.5 instead of 1.0 OrganicChem Credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sportfreund

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which 2nd tier Caribbean Medical schools would accept a 0.5 Organic Chemistry credit and don't require 1.0 credits (meaning that they will accept organic chemistry without the lab portion). Would it help if you have done the MCAT (which obviously has an OChem section on it) in the case of only doing a half credit in organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Any Caribbean med school that only accepts half a credit in organic chem is not a school worth considering. Those kind of schools offer poorer-quality education and, assuming you graduate and pass the Steps, you will have a harder time matching coming out of one of them. If you're going to go to the Caribbean, pick a school that requires full credits in all the premed science requirements (bio, general chem, organic chem, and physics) and an MCAT score. Those kinds of schools are better-quality, and have better graduation and match rates. Don't bother looking for shortcuts to an MD. There are none.

^ Yes I realize that but I've graduated and I'm not going to wait for Jan-Apr of next year simply to complete a half-credit.

I know some schools don't require an organic chemistry credit at all which are maybe the ones that you are referring to. I'm asking if any school that does ask for organic chemistry would be okay with you doing a 0.5 credit (meaning one semester instead of two) in addition to completing the MCAT (which has an organic chem section) instead of absolutely requiring the full credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop looking for shortcuts. You are missing an entire organic chemistry class, right (Organic Chemistry 2)? Enough with the "half credit" nonsense; it is pretty confusing to readers who are unfamiliar with this credit system. Look to take Organic Chem 2 in the fall/ASAP and study for the MCAT.

Don't settle for some piece of garbage Caribbean school that accepts people without the proper prerequisites or MCAT. You should only consider the big 4.

^ Yes I realize that but I've graduated and I'm not going to wait for Jan-Apr of next year simply to complete a half-credit.

I know some schools don't require an organic chemistry credit at all which are maybe the ones that you are referring to. I'm asking if any school that does ask for organic chemistry would be okay with you doing a 0.5 credit (meaning one semester instead of two) in addition to completing the MCAT (which has an organic chem section) instead of absolutely requiring the full credit.

You are not listening. I am telling you that any Caribbean school that accepts only one semester of any of the usual premed requirements is not a school that you should even consider. If you get into one of those schools, most likely one or more of the following will occur: you will fail out, you will drop out, you will fail the Steps, or, assuming you make it as far as clinicals, you won't match. The reputable Caribbean schools (big 4) require full credits in all the prerequisites and the MCAT.

The problem is, you are looking to take the easy path to becoming an MD and practicing in the US, and there is no easy path. Go do the other semester in organic chem, take your MCAT, and then apply. You can still do extra courses even after graduating, you know. Medicine is not a field for those who want to cut corners.

Just wondering which 2nd tier Caribbean Medical schools would accept a 0.5 Organic Chemistry credit and don't require 1.0 credits (meaning that they will accept organic chemistry without the lab portion). Would it help if you have done the MCAT (which obviously has an OChem section on it) in the case of only doing a half credit in organic chemistry?

St. James in Bonaire doesn't require the MCAT and doesn't even require a college degree. Yes, there is a med school you can cut corners with and still get MD next to your name. St. James is the place for you.

I'm wondering why SGU requires only 1 semester of physics?