Schools to avoid applying to with no research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreensBeansPotatoes

Reaction score
Hello!

I was hoping to compile a list of schools to avoid applying to as an individual with no research experience and minimal chances of gaining any experience before applying this June. Outside of t20 schools, which schools are not worth applying to with no research experience?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Private schools are your best bet in general. I think it is semi-obvious why. I applied with 0 research experience and every single one of my interview invitations was from a private institution. For more specifics you can use the MSAR tool and it will show you the percentages of students matriculated to each school that had research experience.

That actually is opposite what AAMC surveys of medical schools have found as referenced below. Which just goes to show that a candidate can be solid even without research

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances. This was further borne out in the 2015 AAMC Survey** where 130 medical school admissions found that both community service or volunteer in both medical and non-medical settings ranked higher in importance than physician shadowing

*see page 7 (pdf page 12) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

** See page 14 (pdf page 21) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, Demographic, and Interview Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants Receive Interview Invitations and Acceptance Offers (N=130)
are there any particular schools you had in mind? I read that CWRU is a strong research institution outside of the t20.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only a handful of schools to avoid applying to if you don't have research. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Virginia Tech Carilion. Otherwise, apply to all schools that you like that are within your stats range. N=1 but got interviews at 2 T20s research-heavy schools with minimal research experience. MIssion fit or ties (in-state preference) are way more important that people give them credit for.

There are only a handful of schools to avoid applying to if you don't have research. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Virginia Tech Carilion. Otherwise, apply to all schools that you like that are within your stats range. N=1 but got interviews at 2 T20s research-heavy schools with minimal research experience. MIssion fit or ties (in-state preference) are way more important that people give them credit for.
do you think Emory would be unrealistic with no research experience but an MCAT slightly above their median and GPA at the median?

do you think Emory would be unrealistic with no research experience but an MCAT slightly above their median and GPA at the median?
Tbh I didn't really look into Emory nor apply to it so I'm not sure. I would advise looking at MSAR + their website. If it seems they really like research experience from their applicants, then maybe avoid it. I should note two things.

1: There is a difference between what a school wants from their applicants and what they have in their curriculum. Just because they emphasize research in their curriculum does not mean they require research from their applicants. Some schools (like Virginia Tech Carilion) make it clear, through their website or MSAR, that they highly recommend or even require research from their applicants. Other research heavy schools don't mind applicants that haven't done too much research but make sure you don't convey in any manner that you're not into research.
2: WIth that said, you probably are at a slight disadvantage if you don't have research. Generally the research heavy schools (aka the T20) are seeking top candidates that are innovative and potential world changers. Having other meaningful extracurriculars will help tremendously but you should make sure to apply to other schools to ensure you gain an acceptance in the cycle.