Schools w emphasis on community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayhugs

loves donuts
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I've been looking around different schools for my second round applying. I really want to go to a school that has a big emphasis on community service, but I'm unsure of how to tell if a school is like that or not. I know Western is big on it, only because I live in CA and have visited and they've straight up told me. And pretty much every school's website will say that they like community service, and the guidebook will mention it I guess.

So... How do you know whether a school has an emphasis on CS or research or something else?? Is it something that you'll figure out browsing the forums?????
I guess if the website is basically advertising how gr9 their research program is you can maybe assume they don't put much emphasis on the community service??

Members don't see this ad.

If your community service is actually stellar/above average most schools will take notice. I interviewed at several "research heavy" schools yet they all spoke about my community service/service to others.

Reactions: 1 users
ASDOH! HUGE on Community Service.

I actually wish I had done more volunteering throughout my undergrad. years....ASDOH D4s get to extern at SOOOOO many community health centers. Sigh. Oh well, there's always the chance to work full time at a CHC after dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah ASDOH is the biggest on community service. They're my top pick. Went on a tour there a few weeks ago. They said their competative applicants have around 1000 hours of cs. They require a minimum of 500 hours.

Reactions: 1 users
How many hours of community service is consider impressive to dental schools in general? I only have 274.

How do they look at extracurr? Because I was the secretary and VP for my school's dental club.

Thanks, everyone! I definitely have ASDOH on my list n_n

How many hours of community service is consider impressive to dental schools in general? I only have 274.

How do they look at extracurr? Because I was the secretary and VP for my school's dental club.
I'm not sure about this but I believe a good amount of people have told me that over 100 is good (and probably an unrequired minimum). But I'm sure being on board for clubs is really good too!

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a TX resident, A&M College of Dentistry loves community service. Quality over quantity. Especially if it's mentioned in your PS.